im a very lucky boy!

bazza s3

Reaction score
changed my cambelt today and when i striped it down i found this
i realy dont know how the car was still running!!!! there is a good 12 teeth missing!!!

Picture008.jpg

80k i realy dont know how it didnt slip. it wasent out of time or nuthing just glad it didnt slip otherwise i could have had a big big bill!

im guessing its the origanal was looking through the history and coldent find a cambelt change thats y i changed it.

chris's audi said:
how the hell did it not slip

Be a combination of spot on tension, not too many teeth missing as it travels around the pullys and a very nicely aligned set of pullys at that with a straight belt

Nicely done tho, seen a few like that when I worked for Volkswagen, sometimes these things seem to defy normal logic but hey result for you

If your a slim ******* like me then it would make a nice custom made belt ;)

wasent too bad but there is an engine mount that is a pig to get out othere than that nt to bad.

Yeah I've just found a guide. Looks abit to much for me, Is there anyway of checking the cam belt visually?

Cheers

It's an arkward job, but I did it after having only done an oil change before. It gives you a lot of confidence to do other DIY work.

Since the belt, I've done the brakes all round, elec windows and the turbo. Saved about £1500 on labour alone I reckon! :icon_thumright:

If you look at the distance of teeth missing on the belt and then compare it to the amount of belt that is in contact with the toothed sprockets you can see that there would still have been enough of teeth stopping the belt from slipping.

You certainly wouldn't want to have left it much longer before something serious happened. Well done in finding the problem before it became a BIG problem.

As for LaSarthe&Back's comment above. I'm with you there. I absolutely hate paying people to do things that I can do myself. Having said that, it is vitally important to realise when you have reached you limit. If you don't know what you're doing, STOP and find help from someone who does.

Yeah I wouldnt mind having a crack at this in the summer, sorry to hijack I have a question though, I'm changing the radiator currently and didnt realise I had to take the bumper off (having worked on a mark 2 fiesta and a renault clio before hand) managed to remove the wheel arch liner bolts and pop the little pins out that hold the radiator grille on but the bumper still wont budge, the underneath seems to move but it doesnt appear to move from the top, any ideas?

TheSpaceCowboy said:
Yeah I wouldnt mind having a crack at this in the summer, sorry to hijack I have a question though, I'm changing the radiator currently and didnt realise I had to take the bumper off (having worked on a mark 2 fiesta and a renault clio before hand) managed to remove the wheel arch liner bolts and pop the little pins out that hold the radiator grille on but the bumper still wont budge, the underneath seems to move but it doesnt appear to move from the top, any ideas?

Sorry can't help with your specific problem but I'd suggest you create a new thread as posting your question in a thread about cam belts may not get the audience you need to answer the question.

Hope you get it sorted all the same.

Yeah cheers, Its not a pressing issue because it has to be done by 3pm tommorow no matter what so between now and then there wont be a hell of a lot of replies so on the off chance anyone in this thread that has already posted and is keeping updated on the thread has knowledge of changing a radiator then all good, otherwise it'll be done anyway. Just on the off chance, which is the reason I havent created a new thread, which would possibly take days to reply to when this may get a reply by somebody tommorow who is following the thread who may have the knowledge I need. I know what I mean lol.

fingermouse said:
doing mine in the spring when it warms up a bit , where did you get the parts from ??? and how much ???

got it from the steelers cambelt git was 70 - 75 quid and same for the tensioner. and 30 for the water pump rufley cant remeber the exact prices

:scared2: wow! Thats scary. Think i might rip a few covers off an give mine a check! 55k, and not changed yet......