Bose or not to Bose

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
I know this thread has been done a million times.....

What is involved in a Bose upgrade, from what i can see its a speaker upgrade with the rear speakers being rewired to go through the rear boot mounted amp...... or does the wiring for the rear speakers go via the boot anyways?

So in theory i need 4 speakers, sub and amp. The head unit i\have is symphony II (ithink... single tape/cd). Put all in place and redivert the rear speaker wiring via the amp. Does this look correct?

Not a small amount of work agreeably:hubbahubba:

I wouldnt bother with trying to upgrade to bose mate it isnt much better than standard, speak to andy mac and get one of his stealth sub kits. I fitted one of these sub kits and upgraded the standard speakers and it made a massive improvement, it also sounds much better than mates cars with bose.

S3Steve said:
I wouldnt bother with trying to upgrade to bose mate it isnt much better than standard, speak to andy mac and get one of his stealth sub kits. I fitted one of these sub kits and upgraded the standard speakers and it made a massive improvement, it also sounds much better than mates cars with bose.

Cheers Steve

I read one of your previous posts on this...... will have a look back to see whats covered....

Im not overally fussed about any expensive gear, would just like a decent bit of kit onboard.... beleive it or not, the standard S3 sounds better than my old 1.8T gear which i would imagine to have been the same

Tim

Bose is definately not worth it considering you have to rewire the entire audio loom. So that's changing all speakers, rewiring the fronts to the rear of the car, rewiring the rear amp from the HU to the rear, rewiring & replacing the sub. Even if you can get hold of the original Bose looms, it's a shedload of work for marginal improvement. Just replacing the stock sub will give you twice the improvement of the Bose upgrade & is far less work (about 4 hours in total).

Cheers Andy

What do your kits consist of...was hoping to keep the HU or maybe install the original sat nav..... preferring to keep it original.....

Are you talking about changing the cone in the existing sub or changing the whole unit?

Tim

It consists of a custom made 18mm MDF enclosure, JL Audio 6.5" sub and Alpine 250wrms amp mounted behind the rear speaker panel.
It works with stock HU via a small adapter which plugs into the stock sub loom, or with aftermarket via normal RCA's.
It replaces the stock enclosure and still has room for a changer on top.
SubInstallS3Bosemid.jpg

Sub2Collage.jpg

Andy, many moons ago(10 yrs) i built speaker cabinets for live stage events....that looks extremely impressive........ What are you charging for these?, they look time consuming to make........

I am guessing you'll notice an instant change even without changing the door cones.......

Tim

The enclosure on it's own is £95 + P&P. This includes wadding, fitting brackets and gold speaker terminals. And yes they take an age to make even though I've made over 40 of them. Probably about 6 hours in total, but spread over 2 days as the curve has to be clamped up overnight, so it always seems longer.

Im very impressed and interested. If I want one do you have a waiting list etc? And if I do go for one Im guessing you can point me in the right direction for the Sub, Amp and Connector?

I can supply everything you need, or just the bits you want, PM me for exact pricing. Takes about a week from receipt of payment.
I can also supply the wasps (I'm in Southampton BTW)!

Hey Andymac, bit off subject but could I ask a cheeky favour?:beerchug:

How did you get the side panel around the sub in the boot off? Having a few problems meself!:sadlike:

PM me your email address and I'll send over the instructions.
If you need to remove the sub then you can do it without removing the rear speaker panel to get to the hidden screw that holds the boot trim in. Otherwise you have to remove the door sill trim, rear speaker panel and finally the boot trim, which is a bit of a pain.
Remove the boot lip trim and 3 of the 4 cargo anchors.
Then remove the stupid plastic screw up inside the cubbyhole above the rear light cluster.
Apart from the hidden screw behind the rear speaker panel the only thing holding the panel in is a single metal spring clip on the side of the boot opening (the upright bit to the right of the rear lights). A good hard tug on this towards the drivers side of the car will release it, just remember to pull the clip out of the bodywork and wedge it back into the trim piece before refitting. Then release the interior light, which pushes out from behind then feeds back through the hole. Then you can move the panel to the side to gain access, but you can't totally remove it until you remove the screw behind the speaker panel (nice one Audi).

AndyMac said:
I can supply everything you need, or just the bits you want, PM me for exact pricing. Takes about a week from receipt of payment.
I can also supply the wasps (I'm in Southampton BTW)!

Does that mean if you supply it all done its gonna cost me twice as much and have a Saints shirt stuffed inside it as payback for my signature? :blush:

Ill drop you a PM at some point to see what you can do, Im fedup of my stereo in there atm (front drivers speaker and tweeter seem to have a loose connection thats ******* me off!)

Do you do a few bits for the local car forums by anychance? Sure Ive seen you on some others from around the area

No I'll just do a halfarsed job that'll completely fall apart inside 90 minutes!

AndyMac said:
No I'll just do a halfarsed job that'll completely fall apart inside 90 minutes!

Well if its a proper Saints one itll fall appart right at the 90th minute everytime ;) lol

Nice one mate, will have to see about sorting something out! Deffo liking the look of it, nice to see a stealh enclosure like that actually built well!

Seriously Andy.... I will have one of these off you later in the year..... just want to get the car in order and will message you.........

Tim