Does ESP effect performance

Nothing to do with performance of the car, it just controls the power to the wheels when slipping etc so for example turn off at the traffic lights if you want a lightning launch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif as the slightest wheel spin would trigger the ESP if it was on and take power away from that wheel in question, causing a delay.

I turn it off when in the dry a lot as the quattro does a great job on its own.........but on in the wet for sure!

You WILL be quicker with it off. But at the risk of loosing it! If you are confident you can control your car on the edge, then you will be quicker, but if your not too confident, i'd leave it on.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
You WILL be quicker with it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

To see just how much quicker, go to Santa Pod and watch some of the cars off the Start. Definately quicker with it off, assuming good foot work.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the whole ESP / DSC / DDT etc.. are all a load of crap... I drive a rear wheel drive Bimma and i'm looking at getting a front wheel drive A3 S-Line... and i have to say.... if i can master a rear wheel drive round a large round about in the wet with the *** out and the throttle nearly flat out in 2nd i'm sure i can handle a front wheel drive that don't even swing out at the rear.. they just glide across the road and when u try to stop the glide and straighten up.. they sort of SNAKE down the road from left to right.. all a bit of fun if u ask me!!

i had ESP on an Audi before and it came on when i was belting round a roundabout in the dry at like 60Mph and it tried to brake the wheel that was loosing traction with the road... and it turned me into the round about more.. which caused my O/S fron talloy a great deal of dammage!!

ESP is for people that want to drive with no awareness what so even.. and when a cat or dog runs in the road.. they feel safe to just yank the wheel around without causing an accident coz the car will avoid loosing control (at low speed)!!

A car can NOT think or be aware of the surface under the tyres... or the reason your loosing control so i have it off all the time!! never ever ever ever have it on because of the ****** damage it caused my 2 month old 19" OZ baby!!

i even tried to contact BMW about removing it from the automatic ignition list!! but every time without fail... it's on every time i start my engine!! ****** thing.. it's a habbit now every time i get into my car.. put on seatbelt and switch off DSC / EPS!!

Later

Mac

P.S. sorry i feel so strong about this issue.. but my ****** OZ's were like 1700 bucks with the Goodyears!!

[ QUOTE ]
Mikee Mac said:

ESP is for people that want to drive with no awareness what so even.. and when a cat or dog runs in the road.. they feel safe to just yank the wheel around without causing an accident coz the car will avoid loosing control (at low speed)!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably, singularly the most stupid comment I have read on here for a long time.
Bravo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

There are many on here that don't feel the need to switch off the ESP...I like the thought of having a 'second chance' should I **** things up.

I don't switch it off because I don't need to...it doesn't slow me down, it doesn't spoil my fun, it doesn't cut it when not wanted...so I leave it on.

I guess that makes me a driver with no awareness what so ever.

Mikee Mac, for most of the drivers, I'd say ESP should be locked on and more restrictive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. All the kiddos saying ESP is crap and slows down and they're better drivers than what ESP can do. Well, they shouldn't be allowed to drive without it (or drive at all).

The ESP system has the capability of detecting black ice pretty easily and prevent your car from loosing grip, up to a certain point. Without ESP, you might not be able to feel this loss of grip at all, as it may surprise you on a direct road. Especially with your RWD car, accelerate while there's ice under you -> you'll spinn, while ESP can prevent this (it's reaction time is much lower than yours and can stop the acceleration at once).

Also, try driving in a snow-water-crap on a bad-quality road. Suddenly you'll understand why ESP is so nice to have. It's pain in the *** to drive, when there's no consistent grip available, and sometimes you lose your grip due to extensive amount of water, sometimes due to snow. I personally couldn't match ESP with safety.

And if you want to beat ESP, try ice hockey field. A3, as FWD will understeer, understeer without ESP, but with ESP it will turn (because the ESP can lock one wheel at a time to create some artificial 4wd turning).

- Yak

ESP rerely bothers my driving...it doesn't cut in and get in the way...so I have no need to turn it off.

If I want to 'show off' and 4 wheel slide out of a junction, then I may turn it off...but to be honest I'm a bit too old for all that lark, and if I'm truthful, the new chassis set-up is so grippy that I can'y get the rear wheels to slide out anymore..it just grips.
So, for me, it doesn't cut back the power either.

For everyday driving it doesn't cut in on my car.

For fast / manic driving, I find that if you adopt the correct driving style it doesn't cut in either - that is slow in, fast out.

One more thing:
I wrote my previous car (Integra Type-R) off by hitting mud midway round a corner, nipping on, with the suspension loaded up. That was that...nowt I cound do. Wrecked.

I lost control the other day in the S3...on a LH bend entering a little bridge on a back road, and again passing through the RH bend coming off the bridge.
both times I was nipping on (on a demonstration run!) both times the car went light and completely sidewards...the road looked wet but a re-visit to the same road the next day proved the existance of a nice thick layer of mud from some kind farmers field!
The moral:
Without ESP I wouldn't have made it through the bends...I had no control of the car...it happened so fast that I really have no idea what was going on...expect to know that it wasn't my good driving that got me through the bends...that was purely ESP.

In this case, it's a godsend, I'm sure you'll agree.