S3 test drive

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to this forum, just wanted some advice.

I am test driving a 51(02) plate S3 on Saturday, dolphin grey with cream leather, 82k on clock, £9500 (cam belt changed,haldex oil). inc. silver mirrors, heated seats, the larger stereo (hence my previous thread) and winter pack (unsure as to what this includes?).

Just after some tips of what to look for, ive had my A3 1.8T for over 6 years now so i am a bit unsure of how to spot abuse other than the general condition..... I am told i need to check for blue smoke to check the turbo.... are there any other give aways....

The chances are i will be buying this one, so any tips would be great.
:readit:

they are pretty much solid motors. If you've had a 1.8T then you probably know what to look out for.

bushes..... handbrake sticking...... gunk under the oil cap.... brake fade..... this is as far as my knowledge go's...... i am more worried about the clutch being shot or the turbo on its last legs.....

Never seen this blue smoke but im gonna be keeping an eye out, unsure of how to test if a clutch is going.....never had a problem with clutches before........

..... i have read previous threads..... with this being a 2002 (51 plate)model..... i think it will have the VVT engine in?

Tell me if im talking s**t:Flush:

get an AA checkover just to be on the safe side

You could try the "buying an s3 thread" in the stickies........?

1animal1 said:
Good spot Ian....Do you know anything about it?

Cheers

Tim

Not much really mate, if its the one im thinking of then I went to see it when I was looking, was nice and tidy and all seemed well was a little overpriced for me though and I wanted black leather.

If you fancy a grey one then its certainly worth a trip though.

Been for sale for a good 2 months though

Check if the clutch is showing any signs of slipping.
Is the suspension tight? Bushes and ARB mounts are on their way out at these kinds of miles.
You may need to get a new MAF also, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Ian_GSi16v said:
Not much really mate, if its the one im thinking of then I went to see it when I was looking, was nice and tidy and all seemed well was a little overpriced for me though and I wanted black leather.

If you fancy a grey one then its certainly worth a trip though.

Been for sale for a good 2 months though

Thanks Ian, I couldn't wait so took the day off, here goes......

Good points - nice colour, excellent tyres, felt really tight so assuming bushes are fine, gave it a bit of stick and took on bumps to make sure. No apparent blue smoke although a bit of white smoke after a 6 mile run?

Bad points- couple of wear marks on several buttons, missing parcel shelf and button for alarm sensors....cup holder not coming out and rear ashtray inserted backwards and wouldnt come out.... nothing that major really considering its an 81,000 miler

The guy couldnt confirm whether it had a cambelt change even though the salesman said it had..... so waiting to hear back before i make a move.... had a quick final look around and checked the oil cap - thick cream:no: ...tut tut....another conversation to be had tomoz

Anyone any idea how much a cambelt and head gasket are likely to cost? Sooooo glad i didnt buy without checking that:rockwoot:

Tim

Meza said:
Check if the clutch is showing any signs of slipping.
Is the suspension tight? Bushes and ARB mounts are on their way out at these kinds of miles.
You may need to get a new MAF also, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Mez, how would i check for clutch slip?

Thanks

Tim

1animal1 said:
Thanks Ian, I couldn't wait so took the day off, here goes......

Good points - nice colour, excellent tyres, felt really tight so assuming bushes are fine, gave it a bit of stick and took on bumps to make sure. No apparent blue smoke although a bit of white smoke after a 6 mile run?

Bad points- couple of wear marks on several buttons, missing parcel shelf and button for alarm sensors....cup holder not coming out and rear ashtray inserted backwards and wouldnt come out.... nothing that major really considering its an 81,000 miler

The guy couldnt confirm whether it had a cambelt change even though the salesman said it had..... so waiting to hear back before i make a move.... had a quick final look around and checked the oil cap - thick cream:no: ...tut tut....another conversation to be had tomoz

Anyone any idea how much a cambelt and head gasket are likely to cost? Sooooo glad i didnt buy without checking that:rockwoot:

Tim

Thick cream round the cap?? could be moisture due to it not being started for a while OR could be the obvious head gasket.

When i bought my a3, I got the belt fitted included in the price. They should do the same considering the price, dont go getting it done personally, get them to do it!

mattm said:
Thick cream round the cap?? could be moisture due to it not being started for a while OR could be the obvious head gasket.

When i bought my a3, I got the belt fitted included in the price. They should do the same considering the price, dont go getting it done personally, get them to do it!

I have said to the sales manager that this is 1 of the reasons i wanted the car, because i thought the cambelt was done. This was 1 of my initial questions when i spoke to the original salesman.... I wont be paying myself...... the gunk was really thick, too thick to be condensation i think? unless you think otherwise?

There are quite a few on autotrader.... just too many silver and blacks for my liking (sorry guys:thumbsup: who have these colours).

Im after the grey, blues or possibly reds/yellows ....I have silver now and need a change

Tim

Wait for the 'right' one mate, get an AA/RAC inspection too just to be on the safeside, if it all goes tits up atleast your covered.

Good luck mate, youl love the S3

Cheers Ash

Im a bit disappointed really, took me 2-3months to find my current A3 6 and half yrs ago so want to make sure i get right one. Basically this one is the right colour body and leather...mileage isnt great but isnt bad either.... and it has almost all the options im after minus the sunroof. Can get the other bits sorted easily enough i think.

Whats bothering me now is the milky s**t in the oil. If that wasnt there and a cambelt was fitted id be having it.... you guys have mentioned that this could be condensation..... i think the only way to be sure is to read the warranty through to make sure it covers me just in case.... if this is a common sight like sum1 said in an earlier thread then i dont wana miss this.

Tim

ash_s3 said:
Wait for the 'right' one mate, get an AA/RAC inspection too just to be on the safeside, if it all goes tits up atleast your covered.

Good luck mate, youl love the S3

The white mayo like gunk on the cap is normally due to the oil not reaching operating temperature, head gaskets do go, but very rarely. If the HG is on its way out then you'd know from the way the car performed, it'd be running on 3 cylinders and there'd be a ton of white smoke.

There are other reasons for the oil looking milky too, sometimes the oil cooler will go tits up and allow the oil and water to mix making it appear as though the HG has cracked.

golf said:
The white mayo like gunk on the cap is normally due to the oil not reaching operating temperature, head gaskets do go, but very rarely. If the HG is on its way out then you'd know from the way the car performed, it'd be running on 3 cylinders and there'd be a ton of white smoke.

There are other reasons for the oil looking milky too, sometimes the oil cooler will go tits up and allow the oil and water to mix making it appear as though the HG has cracked.

Overall, would you buy this car with this problem

Tim

I dont think you should be seeing that much gunk under the cap, maybe a small amount but miniscule.
i personally touch it if there is a 'cloud' looming over its future reliability. You could be in for a an expensive repair job. Even with a warranty would you want the headache just be because its the right colour car?
Keep your eye out for others. Dont be hasty. Sometimes the right car will come along but unfortunately might not be 100% what you want on it.

Thanks Mo

I know what your saying r.e this and thats what i thought. I've spoken to the Audi mechanic i use and he thinks its most likely condensation..... basically building on what the other guys have said about the HD being very rare in going and the fact that the cars been stood for a while.

Im going to have another look at the car i think, i set out for this to be a long 3 month+ job so I dont think im rushing..... just think ive been fortunate to find what im after this quickly.... as long as all is good with it. This is the only real question mark, my thinking is that not many 80k milers are gonna be mint and if they are, they fetch stupid money....

Theres a really nice kingfisher blue minter on auto trader, 51 plate, 60kish and wants £10,750 (private)....i admit its a rare colour and few extras but thats expensive against CAP/Glasses - you gets what ya pay for and all that, but with no warranty i think this guy is dreaming (wouldnt have minded that one either;o)......

10.5k for a 51 plate with 60k is a fair price, and its a audi custom colour for an S3 too. You said it yourself, you wouldnt have minded the colour, and thats exactly what someone else will think too. Low milage S3's are now very rare - they stopped making them almost 5 years ago!! Don't forget dealers are still charging 13-16k for them too.

The key points to look for are a well maintained and serviced example, that is technically sound and has had money spent on it. You just cannot run these cars on a budget, otherwise it really shows.

Points such as ashtray and worn buttons are OK in my book. They'll work in your favour to beat the price down, and you can replace them yourself off ebay or a scrapper when you get the chance. Personally, i'd be suprised if there was an S3 out there with perfect buttons, as the rubber surface of them is totally rubbish.

With that much mayo on the cap, you need to find out when the last service was really.

1animal1 said:
Cheers Ash

Im a bit disappointed really, took me 2-3months to find my current A3 6 and half yrs ago so want to make sure i get right one. Basically this one is the right colour body and leather...mileage isnt great but isnt bad either.... and it has almost all the options im after minus the sunroof. Can get the other bits sorted easily enough i think.

Whats bothering me now is the milky s**t in the oil. If that wasnt there and a cambelt was fitted id be having it.... you guys have mentioned that this could be condensation..... i think the only way to be sure is to read the warranty through to make sure it covers me just in case.... if this is a common sight like sum1 said in an earlier thread then i dont wana miss this.

Tim
*** its got missing buttons, stuff that dont work, blowing white smoke, (water!) and crap in the oil. Oh ansd no cambelt!! RUN FOR THE FLIPPING HILLS, fella!

No decent dealer would present a car like that, and if its like that in the first place it AINT BEEN LOOKED AFTER!

Get a nice car, in nice condition. The flipping COLOUR of it is immaterial if its dog! Although it may be pretty to look at while you wait for the AA.
You are mentgal even considering it!

Oh and you warranty is flipping worthless too, so dont even bother with it.

yeah, theres more out there... dont go jumping just for this one! Get it properly checked out or look elsewhere mate. Good luck tho... an S3 will make you smile! :D

fair points there simch. I'd insist on the cambelt, pump and tensioners, as well as checking myself to see if the alarm switch had just fallen inside the trim.

as for the white smoke, it was only driven 6 miles, and I wouldn't expect it to totally disappear while its this cold outside anyway, otherwise i'd be more worried that the CAT was maybe broken.

The mayo does need to be investigated though, as it suggests that it hasn't been serviced regularly enough.

The fact you are asking us on here what we think shold tell you enough! I mean, how do you know we have a scooby doo what we are on about!

Wait for the right car like you did last time

Thanks for your comments fellas

Curiousity killed the cat...... I have been back to sunny Chester to have a second look (always forget stuff the 1st time around).

This time i took it for a proper long run down the M56 and then on some side roads. The white smoke was no longer apparent when i returned to the garage. I checked the dipstick and cap/expansion tank. No evidence of any gunk apart from on the cap, this wasnt as bad as i thought. I did pick this up with my Audi mechanic who said the same about the condensation......however...... if this isnt the case, the warranty will cover it.....i have read all that is covered and am happy with it

All the tyres and brakes appear nearly new and the bodywork is spotless (no evidence of paint)....... cambelt being done along with 80k service.

I have taken what you guys have said into consideration. Simch, surely asking your opinions and basing my decision partly on that is better than going with my own judgement, considering my experience of S3's? or do you not agree?....... (i guess i trust the fact that you all spend the time to visit here in the first place and assume you know more than i do)

Again, thanks for your help fellas. I have covered myself as much as i can with this car and im certain now that ive chosen the right one..... i dont think i can grumble for £9kinc warranty.......

Will post some picks when i pick it up......

Thanks again for you help on this one

Tim

1animal1 said:
Thanks for your comments fellas

Curiousity killed the cat...... I have been back to sunny Chester to have a second look (always forget stuff the 1st time around).

This time i took it for a proper long run down the M56 and then on some side roads. The white smoke was no longer apparent when i returned to the garage. I checked the dipstick and cap/expansion tank. No evidence of any gunk apart from on the cap, this wasnt as bad as i thought. I did pick this up with my Audi mechanic who said the same about the condensation......however...... if this isnt the case, the warranty will cover it.....i have read all that is covered and am happy with it

All the tyres and brakes appear nearly new and the bodywork is spotless (no evidence of paint)....... cambelt being done along with 80k service.

I have taken what you guys have said into consideration. Simch, surely asking your opinions and basing my decision partly on that is better than going with my own judgement, considering my experience of S3's? or do you not agree?....... (i guess i trust the fact that you all spend the time to visit here in the first place and assume you know more than i do)

Again, thanks for your help fellas. I have covered myself as much as i can with this car and im certain now that ive chosen the right one..... i dont think i can grumble for £9kinc warranty.......

Will post some picks when i pick it up......

Thanks again for you help on this one

Tim

You done well on that price, was up for £10500 when I looked in October :icon_thumright:

I didnt realise that lol, it had the price board in the back with £9999 on it. Its on the net at £9500

Cant beleive how well the bodywork is..... shame the inside isn't as good..... i think the past owners had a dog because the passenger seat handle is chewed and it has a nasty TT gear knob (solid)..... only cheap things to repair.

Cheers Ian:lmfao:

simch said:
Oh dear!

Salesman's dream! !!

Simch, if the car ends up being a total **** up, then you can happily rub my nose in it, till then....

I have obviously paid £1500 less than the original screen price for this car and got extra warranty and service on top....how would this make a salesmans dream?.....

Regards

Tim

1animal1 said:
Simch, if the car ends up being a total **** up, then you can happily rub my nose in it, till then....

I have obviously paid £1500 less than the original screen price for this car and got extra warranty and service on top....how would this make a salesmans dream?.....do you actually know what your talking about or is it just childish ranting from memories of being buttf**ked on your own car by a well hung salesman - not bein funny but you really have nothing constructive to add other than negative s**t which really doesn't help.

:asskicking: bad Simch :Flush:

Regards

Tim
I think it's you having the "childish rant!" here!! How does "salesmans dream" qualify as a "rant"? Whereas the above.........!!?!?
Ok, I will explain.
Tim, you asked for advice. I told you to walk away.....! And so did some others. Why do you think that was? Are we all trying to buy this from under your nose...? Oh no its been on sale for 90 days!!

Do I know what I am talking about ref buying cars? Well I would say probably more than you do, with respect, hece why you came on here asking for advice!!

I was Head of Internal Audit for the a Group PLC of a major car retail chain a few years ago we had 55 used car sites and 45 new car sites. I know most of the tricks and cons that go on in used and new car sales as well as the aftersales where the official terminology used regarding service customers was to "rape them!"

Did you ever think that maybe someone knows this particular car, (at least one other does!). Have you done an HPI check on the car, or did you just look at one at the dealers.....? Always do you own and make sure its current, they only last 30 days.
I did very nicely on my S3, a year on and no surprises its mint, but i do know how tricky it is buying used cars. I do know that I had to walk from some deals. I also know what a rip off warranties are, do a search on any car forum you will find a lot of info about how useless they are. There are two basic types, aftermarket ones with the likes of Warranty Holdings etc , or ones the large used dealer chains "sell" which is just a cost they apply to the vehicle on their books, and they will warranty the car themselves. After market ones cost the dealer about £270, he "sells" it to you at £400 odd (within the vehicle price), so he makes £130-£200 a throw on them. And yet, he will not want to know you if you have a problem, jsut refer you on to the warranty company......you can guess what happens then!!
The "problems" you recounted on your initial test drive are not good. Simple to fix maybe, but why should you have to fix them.....? What does it tell you about how the car is looked after if buttons are missing and its over a year over its cambelt due date.....salesman will tell you its a FSH......but its missing its cambelt.......hmmm!

I am not saying its a bad car, I am saying you have been sold it, rather than you buying it! A good tip if you are buying form outside the main delaer network, and you have a missing cambelt replacement is to take the car without it knocking off a reaosnable price to have it done, then get it done at an imdependant with no reason to cut corners with it! How will you knwo if the cambelt has been changed as part of this service, have you marked it with a paint pen......? Will the delaer who's margin you have just beaten really go to the trouble of replacing the waterpump with of the metal impeller ones......?Will he really be ultra careful with the brake lines he has to shift to do the job, or will he bend them out the way. leave them unclipped and have them burn through on the turbo like is documented in several unfortunate cases on here.......?

So my "salesman's dream" comment is merely because you are! He presented a poorly prepared vehicle, with obvious concerns over how its been treated in its life, you correctly spotted some missing history, you did everyhting right on what you checked, you asked advice here, because you were not sure (and were right not to be!!) and yet you still bought it!!

Better to walk away from 10 cars you have even the slightest concern about that you may be wrong on, than buy one that turns out to be not all it seems!! Look at the "S3 taken off me what can I do" thread from poor old Ash on here to see what can happen when a car purchase goes bad.

No one will rub your nose in it if its a bad one, but you came asking for advice and you got it, you made your decision and I and everyone else hopes it was an Ok decision. But if it is not, the evidence was there and you let a salesman sell to you! ! ! That's all.

Oh and you got £1500 off did you...? You think the salesman did you a favour then and sold it at a loss!!
It was not worth the asking price, hence it was on sale for 3 months. I can assure you he still took at least £1500 profit on the car. I just hope he does what he has promised you on the service etc.....but anything he spends doing it, is straight off his bottom line!!

Oh, and paint wearing off butons on a 6 year old 80k mile Audi................I suppose he told you they all do that!! ?? My mate just bought an A3 18T with 208k miles on it and all the paint is on those buttons!

By the way, your tirade or swearing and expetives as a new member will endear you to those of us that try to offer help when you ask for it i am sure. It sounds to me that I touched a nerve with my comment (which i stand by due to the reasons I explained) as you are not sure you have done the right thing buying this car......and I think you are right to have reservations I am afraid.

Good Luck with it anyway, I hope it turns out to be as nice a car as you hope it is. If not, dont worry, keep your cool on here and dont be rude to people and you will get an awful lot of help.

Simch I am big enough to hold my hand up and apologise for the expletives.

However, with regards to what you have mentioned above, I do fully understand how dealerships operate - having checked the CAP and Glasses guide before hitting the car at all, doing my own HPI through my best mate who is a GM for Pentagon group. I feel i did what i could with the preliminary checks.....

The car has been described on here as being there 60 days (not 90 as you described)......

The warranty is from an external source......

I understand what you have said r.e the cambelt, what i didnt explain was that i have insisted on a written guarantee from the garage carrying out the work. I do however take what you say on board and think it may be a better suggestion to have my mechanic do this and try an negotiate a little more off the car (which would otherwise be spent from their bottom line). Basically what was said is that the cambelt costs them £250inc VAT (i checked with Audi who charge £400 inclusive), assuming they use a good top quality garage as they have various quality cars in stock i.e R8, Ferarri's and various Porsche/BM's (i understand this is no guarantee but what is in used car sales).

I am in no doubt that from the outside alone that you would praise this car, however, the inside isnt the best, nor is it evidence of total neglect...infact several things are consistant with the previous owner carrying a pet rat/dog in the passenger foot well.... if this is a bargain, is this fact a reason to walk away?.... if all you look for in a car is totally pristine throughout...are you leaving yourself open? I see where you come from in that there is a reduced chance of a pristine car being abused.....i would be stupid to argue this point.... but if you look at a few users on here who have taken the trouble to chip up their cars...no doubt well looked after vehicles...but some have got to have been abused but maintained....so how would you tell when purchasing

Being head of internal audit, you will know that you will find approx £1000 - £2500 across your average car..... I know this and have taken the fact into consideration... it looks at this moment in time that i have made £1500 saving (or taken £1500 off their profit), add on the service which will be checked by my mechanic to ensure it has been carried out and your talking more than this....... If i go into more detail about my current car which is going in part ex and is not in a desirable condition with 125k on the clock, T plate 1.8T.... (it bottom books at £1550 and this car won't fetch book value)...I have been allowed £2000 for this....yes i understand the whys and where fors of part ex's, and have checked what i would get for mine if i spent money on it. Infact i have been keeping an eye open as to what they have been fetching for months now...i'll tell you now....no trader will pay £2k for my current car.

Taking all this into consideration, I do not think I have a bad deal, yes i could have requested that all these things are sorted. But like you said, how do i know that they have been done to my liking.... i have chosen to purchase this car knowing whats wrong with it and assuming (because its used) that no other work has been done and hence created a bargaining chip which allows me to get these little niggles fixed myself with Audi parts at trade prices. Or would i be better going to a dealer and buying a car that looks mint and not knowing what has been replaced?

There is no right or wrong answer...... simple fact is that i dont know the cars FULL history...and you do not know yours... the best thing you can do (which i have tried) is to contact the previous owner who should have no qualms in telling you how he/she has treat it....but they may be afraid of the dealing coming back to them perhaps?? (we know this wouldnt happen but do they?) who knows what goes through the average consumers head...yo can only hedge your bets when buying used cars...and that it what i have done...

Go to the horses and you will find the most consistant gamblers will have done their home work (gathered information). This is why i came to this site in the first place.... and it has been extremely useful.... I have taken on board what the people on this forum have said and have used this to my advantage. Used sales are a gamble...you know this, so do i.

I would like to thank all that have commented on this post, your experience and advice has been invaluable.

Simch, again i offer you an apology. It seems i underestimated your experience in this field, but i hope from the essay above that you can see my reasoning for my decision and how this quantifies as me not being a 'salesmans dream'.... this to me was an insult that you thought this. Anyways, peace fella

hmm....if u want my advice i do genrally think u cud find a better car for the money ur spending.i bought my 2001 s3 black a year ago, with every optional extra except sat nav and chrome mirrors with 70000miles on with full audi service history with cambelt change at 65000miles for a fair bit less than wot this guy it asking for.the car is mint and interior is absolutely faultless and none of the buttons are worn and still are perfect.keep hunting mate.ul know when u find the right one.best advice is not too rush on this type of thing.

jarvis**turbo** said:
hmm....if u want my advice i do genrally think u cud find a better car for the money ur spending.i bought my 2001 s3 black a year ago, with every optional extra except sat nav and chrome mirrors with 70000miles on with full audi service history with cambelt change at 65000miles for a fair bit less than wot this guy it asking for.the car is mint and interior is absolutely faultless and none of the buttons are worn and still are perfect.keep hunting mate.ul know when u find the right one.best advice is not too rush on this type of thing.

Thanks Jarvis

I have bought this car now but thanks for your comments.

In fairness there are 2 on autotrader going for 8K a piece private.....the one in silver is well spec'd but has 99k on the clock. I do see what your saying, like someone said above about the kingfisher blue car going for £10750, its a fair price because of how rare the colour is.......it sounds like you've done a good job when you sourced yours..... if you had said to me that i would buy this quickly id have laughed very loudly.... as i said, my 1.8T took 2-3 months to find and has done me proud.

Tim

i didnt read the thread but i have a 51 2002 Dolphin S3 which has a bam engine. Just check out the sticker in the spare wheel well, 165kw indicates a 225 engine (BAM).

Matt, i presume from what you say, that if the car has been kept in a compound...then it may be the older engine.... I know it was registered Feb 02.....will have to wait till i pick it up.... TBH didnt know how to tell, presumed it would be a 225 with it being an 02 car.... Bit gutted thinking that it could be a 210:sadlike:

Thanks

Tim

Dont worry you wont notice much difference between the 225 and 210, and both engines remap to the same power figures anyway. So even if it turns out to be a 210 its not the end of the world.