Polybushes

Bula_82

Self Confessed Nightmare!
Reaction score
Im a little confused, i've done a search on here, and it seems people are of the mixed opinion as to fit polybushes (rear) or not.

I've been advised that they will make my handling better, and to fit them over standard ones.

Is this right? what make is best to go for?

Im changing the rear axle bushes, and the front wishbone bushes.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sheryl

General consensus is that leave the rear alone and do the others. If you have an S3 then doing the rear is fine as it doesnt use the single beam axle like the other models.

P.S Avoid the powerflex ones as they are too hard and go for the Superpro ones which are harder than the originals but softer than powerflex

so if the rear need doing, but polybush isnt recommended then do i keep with standard?

im not sure if that makes sense. polybush is an 'upgrade' from standard, yeah?

If your going to do the rear ( if no S3 model ) then i would suggest fitting oem ones depending how worn the original ones are.
If you do go polybush's on the rear then your gong to make the car quite twitchy in the wet.
Going hard is not always good as you want the suspension to move and soak up road surfaces and forgive your over enthusiastic driving in a roads at times.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Bula, do not fit poly bushes to the rear of an A3. The design requires the axle bushes to pivot in two planes of movement during use as the rear of these cars uses a passive rear steer arrangement.

Basically the poly bush stretches and becomes very loose, causing vague handling. Also the poly bushes are not fixed to the outer and centre like OEM. They work for a couple of weeks and thats it.

Please replace with OEM rubber bushes.

HTC said:
Bula, do not fit poly bushes to the rear of an A3. The design requires the axle bushes to pivot in two planes of movement during use as the rear of these cars uses a passive rear steer arrangement.

Basically the poly bush stretches and becomes very loose, causing vague handling. Also the poly bushes are not fixed to the outer and centre like OEM. They work for a couple of weeks and thats it.

Please replace with OEM rubber bushes.
seconded

Many thanks for your help,

I have a A3, 1.8t, my aim is to spend next year on track.

Out of interest, do you know if this would this work the same on a mk4 golf?

What about front wishbone bushes? OEM or are they the same as rear and need to be OEM?

Gav. Poly isn't recommended for front wishbones either. The same symptoms apply. My poly bushes felt great for a few weeks, but then stretched causing handling issues.

HTC said:
Gav. Poly isn't recommended for front wishbones either. The same symptoms apply. My poly bushes felt great for a few weeks, but then stretched causing handling issues.

Yeah, If I weren't such a lazy git I'd take them back out and fit TT ones.

Gavin

I can excuse you as it sounds damn hot where you are.

I'm planning to fit the TT bushes. I'm also fitting a set of R32 Golf wheel bearing housings with the lower ball joints when I can source a set of TT/R32/S3 lower front wishbones.

Helps reduce camber change on turns.

Ok so it looks like the way forward is TT or OEM bushes.

Cheers for the help :icon_thumright: