Monster MotorsportSky Insurance

Thread: Polybushes

Self Confessed Nightmare!

Status

Polybushes

Im a little confused, i've done a search on here, and it seems people are of the mixed opinion as to fit polybushes (rear) or not.

I've been advised that they will make my handling better, and to fit them over standard ones.

Is this right? what make is best to go for?

Im changing the rear axle bushes, and the front wishbone bushes.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sheryl
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    General consensus is that leave the rear alone and do the others. If you have an S3 then doing the rear is fine as it doesnt use the single beam axle like the other models.

P.S Avoid the powerflex ones as they are too hard and go for the Superpro ones which are harder than the originals but softer than powerflex

Status
    so if the rear need doing, but polybush isnt recommended then do i keep with standard?

im not sure if that makes sense. polybush is an 'upgrade' from standard, yeah?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"

4th Gear

Status
    If your going to do the rear ( if no S3 model ) then i would suggest fitting oem ones depending how worn the original ones are.
    If you do go polybush's on the rear then your gong to make the car quite twitchy in the wet.
    Going hard is not always good as you want the suspension to move and soak up road surfaces and forgive your over enthusiastic driving in a roads at times.
    Better to be safe than sorry.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Bula, do not fit poly bushes to the rear of an A3. The design requires the axle bushes to pivot in two planes of movement during use as the rear of these cars uses a passive rear steer arrangement.

Basically the poly bush stretches and becomes very loose, causing vague handling. Also the poly bushes are not fixed to the outer and centre like OEM. They work for a couple of weeks and thats it.

Please replace with OEM rubber bushes.

Status

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HTC
    Bula, do not fit poly bushes to the rear of an A3. The design requires the axle bushes to pivot in two planes of movement during use as the rear of these cars uses a passive rear steer arrangement.

Basically the poly bush stretches and becomes very loose, causing vague handling. Also the poly bushes are not fixed to the outer and centre like OEM. They work for a couple of weeks and thats it.

Please replace with OEM rubber bushes.
    seconded

Status
    Many thanks for your help,

I have a A3, 1.8t, my aim is to spend next year on track.

Out of interest, do you know if this would this work the same on a mk4 golf?

What about front wishbone bushes? OEM or are they the same as rear and need to be OEM?

1st Gear

Status
    Only the rear wishbone bush really could be accused of being a problem. You can get better rubber ones out of the TT.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ubcategory=OEM

They are easy to press into place using a bench vice. I have poly on my A3 and they squeak, which ticks me off. I am always getting under there and spraying them with WD40 and stuff.

Gavin

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Gav. Poly isn't recommended for front wishbones either. The same symptoms apply. My poly bushes felt great for a few weeks, but then stretched causing handling issues.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC
    Gav. Poly isn't recommended for front wishbones either. The same symptoms apply. My poly bushes felt great for a few weeks, but then stretched causing handling issues.

Yeah, If I weren't such a lazy git I'd take them back out and fit TT ones.

Gavin

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    I can excuse you as it sounds damn hot where you are.

I'm planning to fit the TT bushes. I'm also fitting a set of R32 Golf wheel bearing housings with the lower ball joints when I can source a set of TT/R32/S3 lower front wishbones.

Helps reduce camber change on turns.

Status
    Ok so it looks like the way forward is TT or OEM bushes.

Cheers for the help