About to buy A3 1.8T

mk4mike

Reaction score
Hey just sold my 2004 mini cooper and i have decided after driving both an audi a3 and golf mk4 1.8t that the audi is a better car for the money.

Anyways, i just have a few questions about the a3's before i buy one. Having had a vw in the past i know some of the basic faults sticky windows and broken rear wipers so on and maf. But i am not too familiar with turbo cars. & Esssential cambelt replacement at 60k Anythign else to look out for?

Is there any difference with cars fitted with cable accelerator lines rather than electronic accelerator pedal box's?

below is a pic of what im talking about.

Also over the years has the model been improved slightly? 1998-99??

i ask this as in this pic showing a 1998 interior the gearstick is pretty plain, but in the 1999 car its much nicer.

Also the a3 i test drove for some reason didnt show up anything on the digital lcd screen, for exaple door open or mpg? Can these be turned off or can they just go fautly and not work?

Sorry babbled on a bit.. no point making loads of posts asking different questions.

Thanks Mike

i'm guessing the diference between the 98 and 99 are just detail packages.

As for the A3 what year?
More than likely it was a 6MT which doesn't have the dash display.

Still should show temp and time in left corner of cluster and mileage etc in right on lcd's.

i dont mean the gauges1! im taling about the screen thing, tat would usually display error warnings. I have seen on other audi's there is usually some info displayed on them.. like i said before lpg and doors that are open when stationary.

Maybe this on only on the newer audi's. I most probably going to buy a 1999.

Thanks Mike

I guess you are talking about the information display. Yes this can be switched off. There is a little button underneath the right window wiper stalk. I have a 1998 1.8T so i'm pretty sure a 1999 1.8T will have this also.

great.. just what i needed to find out.. will test that on the next car i go to look at. Found a nice 1999 with leather, just hope i can get the price down by £400 :sm4:

i've owned a mk4 golf, and now a a3 18t, although its quattro. wish i got the a3 instead of golf. drives way better than golf, as standard. impressed with audi

i think the mk4 acutally looks more up to date. But i just prefer how the ride is in the audi.. you feel more in control of the car and sat a lot lower compared to a golf...

Do people on here rate the auto gearbox? im after a car with auto as its just so much easier to get about in as i live in the city centre and there are always trafic jams.. I know the manual will be more fun, but i have had a mini before so im not too bothered.. the car still pulls really hard with the auto though.

Mike

Just out of interest why did you get rid of the Mini?

Just look out for the usual things, Make sure the cambelt has been done by 70k FSH etc.

Check for rust bubbling under the skirts and on the rrof rails other than that just enjoy the thing.

Are you going for an auto?

Jason

Hey jason, sold the mini as i couldnt afford to keep it anymore.. got 9k for it so after something a bit cheaper so i can keep hold of some cash.

The mini was the best car i have had so far, drove so well had the factory sports suspension and 17" wheels. Was literally like a go-kart.

Yep, i would prefer an auto.

Mike

Well if you really need the money ...

I just sold my A3 1.8T it was a 1998 model with AGU engine.

I wanted to make some mods on the car, but it was just too old, and after thinking very well about that I soon found that I was going to spend more money than the real value of the car . . . not worth the effort, in my opinion.

In the photos that you posted this car is not stock! The modifications are only the pipes ? Or is that engined chipped ?

What mods the car have ?