IHI VF34 Conversion Pics

Oh good good not to long hopefully, the modifications on the car are looking good by the way! :arco:

it's taking ages!I still can't understand why it takes so long to map vag stuff!

i think every1 on this forum is eager to see the results of this turbo upgrade.. i know i am!

it's taking ages!I still can't understand why it takes so long to map vag stuff!

I think I've forgotten how to drive. Its taking way longer than I had planned for.

Run of events are. Workshop very busy, so car was started on a few days later than expected. Prior car parts supply issue I was told.
Engine was then fully mapped over the next week but fueling became an issue. Lambda on full chat was irratic, so a search for the problem started.
Cause was, as mentioned, a duff fuel filter.
Car had then to be mapped from scratch again, another week also my exhaust started blowing, which was sorted.
Due to my ECU model, it can't be mapped live. ECU has to be removed from the car each time to be reflashed......apparently its a bit of a pain.

Anyway, the latest is that the car's MOT runs out on Friday. Mentioned this to JBS and they've offered to MOT it for me.

So, I would love to get a call on Friday saying its ready to pick up.

(I know the JBS guys are reading threads and are aware of their online image, so I know I'll get a good map...........you hear that guys!!:laugh:)

Have you managed to get all your receipts out and tally up exactly what all this has cost you? If you get the gains you were planning for i might be tempted to do this myself on my AUM.

Id bring it into work me thinks, mass of top mechanical/electrical engineers here fabricators to boot too - should be all i need :)

Are there any companies that do this as a complete conversion with the IHI turbo conversion, FMIC and milltek catback exhaust and downpipe and remap all in? And what sort of prices are we talking?

Mark

Jabbasport (pioneers of the IHI) and JBS do them. Reckon on drive in drive out for about £6k with FMIC and full exhaust! Add about £800 for an uprated clutch for them too!

not cheap but a nice conversion and IMO as far as you want to go for a true day in day out road car (bigger is too laggy!)

Update:
I have my car back now. Picked it up in Monday. Thought I'd drive it about for a few days before posting results. Anyways, here's the dyno:

DYNO-%20JBS-20-05-08.jpg

It made good power. Steve at JBS said he would get it over 300bhp, so mission accomplished there. I was initially a little disapointed at the torque value as I've seen higher. Spoke to Steve who explained torque is pegged at the value in the dyno to protect the rods. The turbo has more in it. If I want to fit new rods, he can add more.

On the road the car is very different to how is was with the K03s. Power builds very smoothly rather than a kick in the back at low revs. I've not had a chance to log fuel and ignition yet, but it's very responsive off boost also. My car is cable throttle, but he has done something different to the previous mapper in that area. Driving in traffic feels easier now. I used to get a small jolt coming off the throttle when crawling, this has disapeared.
As for traction, I can only talk of dry conditions so far. Basically it hooks up fine. 1st gear is over in a blink, 2nd gear is a bit of an animal but essentially fine and manegable. The way the boost builds and the revs it occurs allows the tyres to grip and off you go. If you are silly it will spin, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to get away. Wet weather....well we'll see. Overall its easier to drive than my k03s was away from a standstill. Bonus!

Another aspect I enjoy is the transient boost in 5th at around 80mph (on a private road). Overtaking is truely effortless now. Boost increases so quickly (apparently a characteristic of roller bearings). Net result is a nice shove in the back and a quick increase in speed. Max boost seems to be about 22psi on my gauge.

One thing I spotted which I didn't expect is a slightly lumpy idle. Its nothing to write home about, but listening to the exhaust if standing behind the car you can hear the odd miss. I've contacted JBS about this. It may be a characteristic of the injectors or plugs I'm running. Not sure yet.

Pricewise I haven't gone through all my recepts, but a quick run through in my head puts the total at around £2300. I think you'll agree that this is significantly less than what you can pay for a similar setup. My initial goal was to reach 300bhp whilst keeping costs down. I think I've achieved that.

I won't brag about some of the expensive machinery I've managed to keep up with, but I just want to get across the sentiment that my car is a fast neat little package now, and I'm very happy with it.

So, thanks to me for fitting the kit :laugh: and JBS for the software.

Update:
My initial goal was to reach 3000bhp whilst keeping costs down. I think I've achieved that.

That would be seriously impressive especially for £2300, and probably not usable in a 2wd car.

m8 glad you got it back, results look great. cant wait to see what else you have in store for it.

Originally Posted by HTC
Update:
My initial goal was to reach 3000bhp whilst keeping costs down. I think I've achieved that.

3000bhp,mate i think that would cost a bit more than a few grand.lol

You changed your original post, 3000BHP in a 2wd car would not be usable, 300 maybe, but probably not in the wet

freat sruff Kev - really pleased it's worked out for ya - you totally deserve it with all that hard work - wish I knew as much and had the ability to do such stuff! Well done

Rob :icon_thumright:

Bravo, Brfcukingvo, seriously well done
300bhp+ nice ops man nice ops

:anbet:

great read HTC. glad you got what you wanted out of it. now for the 1.6 badges

Thanks guys.

Yeah, petrol prices are stupid right now. Only reason I carried on with this is because I don't have to commute anymore.

Fuel consumption so far is the same as with the K03s.

Just read your thread, great work mate. Am glad I read it all now and got to see the final outcome.

I noticed you had powerflex bushes before, how long did they last? Looked in pretty bad shape.

very good thread mate, im looking at 300bhp for mine but was worried about traction, are you running 18"s?, i will have to throw abit of money at my car now to reach 300bhp like yours now i know its goin to be useable. :thumbsup:

300bhp and 2wd is really not as much of a problem as some would make out. Its very managable as its so smooth.

I noticed you had powerflex bushes before, how long did they last? Looked in pretty bad shape.

The poly bushes felt great at first, but the handling went off after a few months. The innners started rusting and the poly deformed. I wouldn't go back. Rubber for me now.
INA in the states are working on uprated wishbone mounts which are tougher than standard rubber. Kinda like the old VW motorsport bushes back in the day. These will be the perfect solution if/when they become available.

300bhp with the IHI's boost characteristics is perfectly manageble. Hasn't been an issue at all so far. Wet weather will obvioulsy be different. I get a little inside wheel spin on corners, but nothing that I'd say warrants a LSD. Seems to hook up fine. Also the SMIC is doing the job. Will do some logging to confirm that though.

Just to add, I will be uprating my engine mounts. The engine is really moving about now. I'm going for a set of these --> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3566881
The street density kit is a nice compromise between standard mounts and Vibra Technic poly items which are too harsh for my liking.

Also, I'm heading back to JBS for a tweak to the map soon. The idle is not steady. After doing some reading and talking to them the idle mixture is likely too rich. It's popping too much when it should be smooth. Other than that, I'm really enjoying my car at the moment. Much fun!!! I think I may need to look at the brakes. I have the 312mm TT front discs. Probably try some different pads first.

Thanks for the positive comments.

thats a good output htc well done you must be well pleased,
does the power come in hard ?

I've managed to fix the lumpy idle that my car was experiencing.

I was giving my engine bay a once over whilst it was running and noticed a hissing sound from the fuel rail area. Turns out injector number 3 was leaking air past the seal at the manifold.

I removed the genesis seals that came with the injectors and swapped them for VAG seals which seem to be very slightly larger in size. The air leak has now disappeared and consequently the idle is now perfect. Backfires have also been reduced, now mostly occuring at warm up which I can deal with and control.

So essentially I guess my build thread is finished (for now) as I'm happy the way the car is performing.

I think I'll head over to JKM at some point just to compare rolling road figures after fitting my new engine mounts when they arrive.

Nik, power builds in a smooth predictable manner. In the dry it grips no problem and you get a nice push in the back all the way to the rev limit.

Bought a Racelogic traction control kit for those days when it rains :)

Traction_Control_001.jpg

I'll post pics of the fitting process if I can and report back on it's performance.

Awesome, glad you got that idle sorted too.. Can i ask how much the traction control unit set you back?

damn, well i hope it makes a difference.. what RPM for the launch control are you going for? n do you know how much with out?

I was on a group buy with some skyline guys on another forum for discount, but that fell through :-( Apparently it is worth it I've been told.

Launch control is programmable, as is everything else via laptop. I'll have to play with it to work out how I like it.

Gonna try and get it all fitted today.

does your car not have tc as standard? if it does, does the racelogic interact with it or do you disable or turn off stock system?

Reason I ask is the old IHI ibiz Jabbasort demo car has stock tc whihc they tweaked to allow some front spin before kicking in tc. It worked very well as i recall. I think they used a 4wd ecu and the tc only kicked in after the haldexwoudl have normally done so, but as it was 2wd haldex never did..!!

Interesting setup.

My car is pre TC. Racelogic kit has 6 settings on a dash mounted control. Wet, Dry, 10%, 15%, 20% and off.
Launch is via a button on the control too.

It can't be fitted to later cars with OEM TC as it uses sequential injector cuts which is apparently incompatible with the later cars' missfire detection.

Almost got it fitted, but I'm off to no-rice tonight, so I'll finish it off tomorrow.

Its definitely worth it. Once it is setup correctly it works brilliantly. You can set the rev limit for the launch control on the fly. Press, release, press and hold, rev to desired level and then release... THen floor the throttle and it sits there popping WRC style until you drop it.

Have fun with the fitting kev. its....fun.

Rich

I should think it is great for launches but on the move, I still think the IHI power delivery is so smooth whilst it may help if you are ham footed, does it help £700 worth......??

For dragging, it may be useful for dumping the clutch, if you do a lot, but can't help thinking if you want to improve real world traction, (ie off tight corners, faster corenrs on road and track with marginal surface etc, a diff is surely money better spent....? (and perosnally I am not sure they are worth it either! LOL).

A nice deft right foot and a dab of left foot braking is far cheaper ! !LOL

I fitted a tc system to my 4 stroke enduro as it is a monster power delivey wise and was a handful getting up steep climbs as wheel just span no matter how much you fed it in gently. The TC had 10 settings, soft cut ignition, and on hill start, it just worked, no doubt about it.......But then again I use or need it once every weekend away.......99.99% of the time, it is turned off!! Could I live without it, oh yes. Is it nice to have it...ditto! BUt it was only $189......!!! Hope it all works!

Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to your comments, also let us know how intrucive it is? Like all TC is there an option to have it on/off, for example the dry etc? I should be patient for the review but its all so exciting!

I've umm'd and errrr'd about the price for about a year now waiting for group buys with no luck. I know it's alot of money, but I recently got a payout from work. I just couldn't face spending it all on the mortgage :) So whilst I had the cash I suppose you could call it a semi-impulse buy.

My car does seem to break traction alot in the wet. I've been through all the usuals. I'm probably expecting a little too much of it, plus I admit I'm no Sebastian Loeb.

There are about 7 or so tabbed pages of programmable sequential soft/hard/launch slip overide/blah blah settings with percentage sliders via a laptop. It's going to take ages to configure it all, but it looks like you can set it for all eventualities.

Toys eh?

Oh yeah, and my new engine mounts have arrived in the country. Need to pick those up at some point.

Rich, I'm connecting the ABS wires in the morning...........can't wait...........not!

did you go for the poly bush mounts? a friend had these fitted to this 400bhp mr2 makes a v.big diff!

I've umm'd and errrr'd about the price for about a year now waiting for group buys with no luck. I know it's alot of money, but I recently got a payout from work.

At least your not spending it on cosmetics.. probably why i like your car so much, its all functionality.