IHI VF34 Conversion Pics

Excellent pics and narration Kev, looks really impressive mate. Do you know if any other subaru turbos fit? Ive got a td05 sat in my garage that I wouldnt mind fiiting to my S3. Im guessing that Id follow the same process that you have?

Keep up the good work!

Mike:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments.

Gav, sounds like yours is a lot of fun. Spools a bit lower than mine at the mo. Good idea to get some air/fuel monitoring. The narrow band AGU probes aren't enough for that sort of thing. If you have more problems try another brand. Mail Bill B. and ask him what he uses. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.
HAHA, does Debbie like it, or not too fussed about the extra power. Keep an eye on that pinking. Are there no custom mappers in Oz? Might save you a load of time, or is that why you are heading to the dyno?

excellent thread guys, makes me want to do all the work myself and make me believe i have the talent to which i definately dont. good pics will have to keep us updated mate. rav

Right, back to it.

Been under the car again to sort the exhaust out. Bolted up the revised downpipe and cat, which fitted just perfect.
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_202_640x480.jpg

Centre section and mount. Found it easier to just remove the whole thing.
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_213_640x480.jpg

Then onto the back box. I bought a Jetex cat back system designed for a MK4 Golf GTI, so I knew the rear valance would need cutting. I went for a Golf system as I think A3 systems sit a bit too low. I didn't want the discreet tailpipes as I've hear they can drone a bit.

Before cutting
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_216_640x480.jpg

After some hacking with the angle grinder
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_220_640x480.jpg

With crash bar and some paint
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_233_640x480.jpg

Pretty straight forward stuff. Also trimmed the lower plastic part of the bumper to fit. Here are the finished pics.
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_235_640x480.jpg

IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_239_640x480.jpg

Looks okay I think. Really chuffed how quiet it is as well. I'm expecting the noise to increase very slightly as I've found it to be the case in the past.
I'll upload a vid of the sound in a while.

This is going to be a barrel of laughs at the traffic lights......looks just like a bog standard A3 apart from the wheels!:w00t:

Kev that jetex tail pipe looks amazing! Thats exactly what I want mine to look like.

How did you mark out the bumper cut? and how did you cut it? I'm doing a similar thing with mine next week, and apart from using a craft knife, I cant think how to cut it neatly.

Sadly, I am just welding some stainless tips onto my Milltek discrete system.

you are right, the down turned tail pipes are VERY droney. The car has a lovely deep sound on idle, and sounds good when revved, yet at cruising speeds, it booms really badly. Hence the need for a straight exit.

Where did you get the Jetex system? and whats the cost of them? It looks great.

Cheers prawn. I was unsure at first , but now its on I really like it.

I just eyeballed the cut in the rear panel. I chopped off a small amount which wasn't enough, then chopped a bit more off. You are limited by the chassis member and the side of the spare wheel well, but its quite straight forward when you get invloved.

I used an angle grinder to cut through the metal. Took all of amount 1 minute! Then shaped the curves with the side of the cutting wheel.

With regards to welding on your own tips, this is good as you can select whatever size/angle you want.

The Jetex systems are about £300 I think. Less for just a back box I guess. Got mine for nowt. Long story.

See here for more details --> http://www.jetex.co.uk/

what a thread :applaus:

a very ood read and excellent mods.

instead of removing the T only, debadge the whole lot on the tailgate and have some fun...LOL

amazing work and I defitnitely going for a jetex system after seeing and hearing yours. what is the pipe diameter on the cat back?

I did think about de-badging, but I think even that communicates that there is something different about the car.

A mate said I should get a 1.6 badge! That would be fun, watching high powered car owner's faces then.

The pipes at the are twin 80mm. The whole width is 170mm.

Just to add the fit of the system is very good too. After a couple of days driving, you only really notice the noise when you really get on the power. Criusing on the motorway is fine with no drone.

Going to trial fit the 3" maf today. Plan is to sleeve the inlet so I can drive up to JBS with the small MAF and have them quickly swap out to the 3" by removing the sleeve for mapping.

Almost done...........its been long enough!

Just trial fitted the 3" MAF I will be using. Cut some silicone reducers to size. Nothing too taxing.

FINALLY THE CAR IS READY FOR MAPPING!! About time :)

I have a few more things to add in the handling department now. The car feelings really loose at the moment. I suspect alot of that is down to the front wishbones which have dead poly bushes and the steering rack that has some play in it also. I will be removing the poly bushes and replacing them with Audi TT/S3 solid rubber mounts.
Picked up a set of Eibach ARBs as well after hearing how my Prawn recommends them. There is way too much understeer at the moment, so adding a rear bar will improve the diagonal weight transfer keeping the front wheels more enenly balanced......thats the plan anyway.
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_252_640x480.jpg

For you A3 guys, if removing the subframe you can fit TT/S3 subframe mounts which are tougher than A3 items. They are a two peice design and have much more metal in them. Every little bit helps.
IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_254_640x480.jpg

IHI_VF34_Turbo_Conversion_256_640x480.jpg

The rack came from Simch on here. He had a brand new MK4 golf / octavia item sitting in his garage. So it'll be the same as an A3 rack with regards to ratio. I did think about an S3 rack, but this one popped up at a good price and previously nobody had one in stock except for Audi, and I wasn't going to pay their prices.

Going to fit it today. Got the subframe out.
ARBs_640x480_001.jpg

Powerflex bushes weren't looking too clever. Gonna bin these.
ARBs_640x480_002.jpg

ARBs_640x480_003.jpg

Hopefully it will be much more fun now.

Oh, that's brave doing the subframe, it looked like a rather painful job to me (probably too hard to do on your own without a lift and a gearbox lift).

Yep, my powerflex bushes aren't that ******** but they were pretty bad when I changed my wishbones, I'm really hoping that I won't have to bite the bullit and pay the £626+Vat audi want for a new rack. :(

The subframe is really really easy to remove. You just undo the ball joints, track rods, dog bone and disconnect the rack to steering column pinch bolt inside the car. Then chuck a jack under the middle and undo the four main bolts lowering it a little. Then undo two power steering connections and roll it out. It's not that heavy either.

You don't need to touch the engine and gearbox, or support it. None of the weight rests on the subframe, which only deals with suspension and steering stuff.
You could leave the ball joints connected and let the thing hang, but its so much easier to get at everything with it out.

Keep trying GSF or other parts places, its just there wasn't any in the country when I was looking. Ebay usually comes up trumps too.

Quick update. I dropped my car off at JBS today for a phase 3 remap. Should be picking it up on Thursday. Fingers crossed all my handy work pays off.

Cheers,

I told the guys I want 300bhp :) But anywhere close will be okay.

I'll tot up the figures from my receipts and give a total when I find out how much the map will cost me.

Well done mate,looks like some hard graft has gone into your motor! BTW did i meet you at the awesome RR day years ago?

Ta, but not me I'm afraid. I'm usually at the shows, but I've not been to an Awesome RR day yet. You probably mean the guy Markb who also had a yellow A3 before he painted it grey. I know he attended one of Awesome's meets.

I love this thread. HTC what you are doing to your car is outstanding and I am jealous of your ability to do it! I keep reading the thread as I was very interested in how you are getting on with your upgrades. The best bits are your photos, very well set-up and shows us exactly what the score is with certain parts - nice darts.

Hope you get the 300hp for all your work!

I love this thread. HTC what you are doing to your car is outstanding and I am jealous of your ability to do it! I keep reading the thread as I was very interested in how you are getting on with your upgrades. The best bits are your photos, very well set-up and shows us exactly what the score is with certain parts - nice darts.

Hope you get the 300hp for all your work!

Second that - ya sure know ya stuff Kev - I'm not at all envious :p

Nice work Kev... Brings back memories! Mine has done 30k miles now with the IHI (88k in total) and is still going strong and trouble free (touch wood!). Got some new rods and valves to go in in the summer just for the sake of it really, and to give me the basis for a bit more boost :)

You at inters this year?

Thanks Rich, long time no speak.

I'll be at inters if I'm in the country. Working abroad these days. I'll chuck it down the strip, and get some times if I can. I'll come and find you as usual if I'm there.

Car has been at JBS for 3 weeks now.........they've had to map it twice as I had a blocked fuel filter which was showing some strange lambda figures on the first map.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to pick it up this week. Really had enough of public transport now :-(

Yeah its been ages. Not had much time to be on here the last year or so.
Good old fuel filters. Cant believe they arent in any service intervals.

Really looking forward to inter...got some aesthetics taken care of. Should look pretty cool i hope. The JBS kit looks pretty good. Downpipe .etc looks like a nice easy fit. The intake was a pain in the **** for me too. I used a 90 degree stainless bend, with the samco intake sleeved over it and a joiner conecting it to the turbo. This meant that the gear cables hitting on it didnt matter. Its a little tight though.

Have you changed the fuel pump or still running OE? Im using an S3 pump with a Walbro 255lph inline. Works reasonably well, but reckon its a little too much fuel. Going to see about getting an intank OE replacement.

good luck!

Thanks and it's cool. Business and moving house comes first!

Look forward to your new additions then. Your car changes every time I see it.

Yes, JBS kit was a good fit and is well engineered. I wondered if my TIP would be too small, but so far its not been an issue. Considered chopping the metal water pipe, but a bend in the right direction seemed to do the trick. Main theme was to keep the engine bay looking as OEM as possible.

Swapped the pump for an S3 item, I'll see how I go. I first had issues with lumpy running when I reached about half a tank (remember our chat about that one at inters last year). Found a loose clip where I'd blocked of the second required for the S3's second pickup. Was sucking in air. Tightened it up and its been good ever since.

Results will be posted soon. Hoping for similar numbers to yours.

I was going to inspect my pump actually just to make sure the S3 side is still blocked off. Should be... glued it and screwed it.

What have you done intercoooler wise?

Intercooler is a little bit of an experiment. I wanted low lag short pipe work and again a stealthy approach. It's a Boost Factory uprated side mount. I've seen some good temp logs for this IC, so went for the plunge.
BFSMIC_009_600x450.jpg

Modified the original scoop:
BFSMIC_024_600x450.jpg

If this doesn't work out, I'll try a Seatsport FMIC:
seatsportfmicix7.jpg

Well i've another idea that you may like in terms of OE looking... I'll show you at inters.

So did you get 300 then? All this hard work would be rewarding when your blowing standard 8P S3's away in your 1.6.;)