only 325 bhp!

In Evo land ,dyno dynamics are the benchmark and everyone quotes atw figures anyway.When cross referenced with engine dyno's and maha/bosch dyno's they have matched up.
Scooby tuners like GRD quote vf34 tuned scoobies at 325/330max so what makes vag people think they have more?

Figures ATW should be the only figures quoted really, flywheel is an estimation and not appropriate for accuracy anyway.

Probably why Dyno Dynamics use a table for flywheel figures, as flywheel figures are nonsense if you want accurate, viable readouts.

The Americans always quote wheel horse power, quite why we ever decided that flywheel power should be quoted is a mystery.

OK, Ed I have to day I think your's stil may not be right.. I went to the TT shop open day on Sat and came accross a o6 plate 310hp Scooby STI Prodrive on the way, (I know the spec the guy got out to ask me what the hell was in mine!) On A5, traffic cleared, I had boost on 3/4 and just left the scooby for dead. At 120 (kmh!) plus, the s3 just shot away and was still pulling hard to 140kmh!

I came up behind an M3 on the autobahn in Germany, last model not brand new on, he was tanking on, but I was just sat behind it flashing him to move! He did so at over 130mph and S3 just sailed past him...

I took a guy who was in at APS out in it one day and threr was a 996 carerra 4 that was hacking along the bypass, we got in behind it, he boted it to go past some cars from about 50mph, I nearly ran in the back of him and was having to feather the throttle behind himt! And it had about 0.2 bar to go on the adjustable boost.

If you are getting wiped by M3s and 911's etc, I really dont think your's is too well. I know you said in previous post the car was laggy and not smooth. If you have a nice torquey 325hp in an S3, I would think an M3 would be no problem in a straight line?

Ed maybe it would be worth having Mike at Jabba remap it for you? Not sure who mapped yours but its a jabba kit, MIke does know what he is doing with the mapping of their kits. A car with our spec nicely mapped should be proper quick. It may well just be with a tweaked map, push the timing a bit midrange (now you have neuspeed thermo and cooler plugs it should take a bit more) that even if you dont get more power, it may be all you need.
You should also consider getting some proper testing gear on it or get to a drag race track and set some times. With your spec you should have mid
13's on the quarter mile at 105- 110mph. If it is not making that, then it is just not right.

It may be worth a trip to jabba to let them have a look and a drive in yours. Mike will know if it is doing what it should do.
It seems a shame to plough more cash into it if you have yet to optomise what you already have......

simch,i think ed's s3 is fine ,mine did a 13.6@105 at santa pod and was dyno'd at 335bhp on maha rollers ,363bhp on jabbas.Perhaps you should dyno yours at power engineering or maha/bosch rollers .
wilko/rich did 320bhp on power enginnering ,wilko did 317 on maha when mine did 335bhp then wilko did 317atw on awesomes and custard cupra/gary did 305-315atw on jabba maps supposedly running 360bhp.

edward_harris said:
not really still feels the same! my mates had his scooby on the rollers and it made 330bhp with a ihi turbo on as well and both are cars are equal all the way so i think mine is only about 325bhp! i do want to get this other turbo but i think £4300 is to much! Also i find after about 80mph these cars just cant stay with anything with a decent size engine ie m3! I had a race with a mate in a m3 i was slightly quicker than him till about 80 then he just drove past me like i wasn't there!

I followed a couple of M3's (new age) in my Evo IV RSX, I was running a hybrid TD05 with supporting mods to allow over 1.55bar, to run a max of 380Bhp and cost all in a couple of grand I think to get to that figure, and also allowed you to follow/not get over taken by M3's and the like, but it was not geared or designed for high speed pursuits, the reason I bought the S3 is, that the Evo used 40 litres of V-Power in approx 80-100 miles on every single tank :( I also had no money at all when I needed a new clutch and a gearbox rebuild. The S3 out of the box is not very good, and there are cars that are more tunable out of the box, maybe no matter what you spend (depends on how deep your pockets are), the S3 is not going to give you the power you need? Not a criticism, but if you want quick, buy a car that is designed with that in mind in the first place, or get your motor bike license, to get your speed kicks as I did :)

Ryanc said:
simch,i think ed's s3 is fine ,mine did a 13.6@105 at santa pod and was dyno'd at 335bhp on maha rollers ,363bhp on jabbas.Perhaps you should dyno yours at power engineering or maha/bosch rollers .
wilko/rich did 320bhp on power enginnering ,wilko did 317 on maha when mine did 335bhp then wilko did 317atw on awesomes and custard cupra/gary did 305-315atw on jabba maps supposedly running 360bhp.

13.2 at 109.75 for mine. Ed has never ran his on the strip. If his midrange is knackered, then it will be slow on the strip and feel even slower on the road.

Dave_Bayern said:
Dyno Dynamics rollers are used by Red Bull Racing/Jaguar Racing.

Probably wont be the same model as the ones in your local garage but they generally are considered the most accurate money can buy.

I'd agree...
The ATW figures are roughly the same MAHA vs DD.

It's their road car 'corrections' for the @ the crank figure I don't agree with, as they are database based, not calculated.

Dave_Bayern said:
Figures ATW should be the only figures quoted really, flywheel is an estimation and not appropriate for accuracy anyway.

True...

Probably why Dyno Dynamics use a table for flywheel figures, as flywheel figures are nonsense if you want accurate, viable readouts.

But knowing losses will enable you to fault find wearing components or sticking brake callipers.
You can also find out how much that aggressive suspension set up is costing you in lost power vs how much you are gaining in grip.

The Americans always quote wheel horse power, quite why we ever decided that flywheel power should be quoted is a mystery.

They do...but sadly they also use Dynojet single roller dynos that give figures unlike nothing we have...
A standard ABF engind Golf making 155 BHP @ wheels?
They barely make that at the crank as they leave Worlfsburg...so let's not dwell on the accuracy of out friends dynos over the pond!

I know a guy who ran 300whp on dd and then 350whp on dynojet on the same morning, enough said. I would imagine a 2wd fwd ihi car would produce 280atw on dyno dynamics.S3's are a tricky car to dyno because of the haldex,but maha/bosch dyno's don't seem to have problems.

simch said:
13.2 at 109.75 for mine. Ed has never ran his on the strip. If his midrange is knackered, then it will be slow on the strip and feel even slower on the road.

Is yours a s3? Was this at santa pod?

S3, yes. Was on a cold race track using DCL 2 datalogger, one on board, full tanks though.

Head design on S3 is more eficient than the Subaru motors.