Engine taking ages to warm up?

Jaywoo_A3

Reaction score
I noticed on the way home from work yesterday and coming to work this morning my car took ages to warm up? by the time i get to work it normally up to full operating temp (90'C on the gauge) but this morning it only reached 65'C.
I took it for a drive last night and it eventually got up to temp but took much longer than normal?

What are the possible causes for this? Jammed open thermostat?

Did you have the heater on this morning...That sucks the heat right out of the engine. I would say, given these cold mornings, and taking into consideration when you last used the car) by 10 miles or so it should be at the right temp.

Yeah I have this also, put the heater on full blast on hot so as above it sucks all the heat from the engine - making it even longer to reach temp. Due to the cold weather!!

Yes the heater was on low but its no differnt to every other morning, It is 10 miles to my work so should be up to temp by the time i get there.

Faulty temp sender or thermostat stuck open. My A4 reaches 90 just on the school run which is only 3 miles, but I always turn the climate control off until I have some heat registering on the guage.
Once it hits 90 does it stay there? If you whack down the motorway does the temp drop off?

Sounds like a stuck open thermostat to me. Mine's exactly the same. Not looking forward to changing it though as it's behind the timing belt on the 2.6.

Mine is a pretty easy job to change so ill get one and try it,
Thanks AndyMac and SteveU, just wanted to hear everyone else thought before i change it?

If the thermostat is stuck open then the temp should drop off when cruising on the motorway as the coolant will be getting too cold from the additional airflow through the rad. If this isn't the case then I'd change the temp sender first as it's an easy job and cheap too at £20.

i'm the same i do 20miles to work mines all motorway a barely reaches 75 on the guage, with no heating on but in traffic climbs no problem.

Mines exactly the same. IN traffic it will reach 90 fairly fast and stay there, yet down the A3 40 miles every day it barely gets over 65-70 these days.

I know its the stat though, I just need to change it.

Ive got a new stat, but I really cant see how people change it so easily! I couldnt find a tool in my kit to reach the lower bolt.

Thanks guys, went and got a stat last night and going to change it at the weekend, Will let you know if this cures it?

changed mine yesterday as everyone was so sure i tested them both in boiling water new and old my old one opened within 20secs where as the new took a couple of mins.
warms up alot quicker now and sits at around 80-90c.
cheers
guys wasn't too bad a job either. thanks to ELSA.