spluttering and dieing on cold start

Effect

Reaction score
Went out to my car this morning, started it up and it was spluttering as if it was running on 2 cylinders and wouldnt stay alive without me revving the engine.

After about 10 - 15 seconds of revving it ran by itself as if nothing was wrong, I have had this problem before but today was probably the worst.

What is the most likely cause of this ?

Thanks
James

Mine has been doing the same over the last couple of weeks. Not every morning but mainly when it is really cold. I also would like to know what the problem is. Think I'm going to have to buy VAG-Com

my car does this every so often, it also wont rev above 5.5k revs when its like this, and sometimes hangs for a few seconds in low gears.

Vag com reckons it's a camshaft position sensor, have checked the wiring as its only an intermittent fault but no joy.

I have never seen so much troubles with one car on cold mornings (outside french cars)...Is this a common a3/s3 fault...the fuel lines/sensors etc must be badly positioned or something?

the only common fault that could be related is coilpacks or temperature sensor.

Of course, weaknesses in these parts will be highlighted by the extremes of temperatures that we see in autumn/winter months.

my car also did the same this morning - 1st time i have experienced it and the car has been used in the alps at minus 22 before without problems, i was going to put a new set of plugs in to see if that helps as it also seems to have a rough idle at the moment

Personally. I cant see the plugs making a difference. When were they last replaced? If in doubt, take one out and have a look, it may save you £50.

The problems you have both described are textbook signs of a failing coilpack that is not yet entirely kaput.

It doesn't matter if your car has previously been running OK at -22 before, as the coilpacks were fine then.

Aky said:
Mine has been doing the same over the last couple of weeks. Not every morning but mainly when it is really cold. I also would like to know what the problem is. Think I'm going to have to buy VAG-Com

I've got Vagcom and don't think I'm too far from you if you need a hand. I've recently replaced all my coilpacks due to failure.

its true it could be a coil pack - i have one remaining "L" version the others have all been replaced with "R" which i think are the latest, plugs are old though so ill probably do both

i had the same problem, was told it could be coolant temp sensor or crank sensor. replaced coolent temp sensor first as it was cheapest and touch wood hasnt done it since (3wks+)

How does one test for a coil pack on its way out if the car only does this on a cold start ?

Example I drove my car to work at 8am and it did it.

It takes me 5 mins to get to work where it is then parked till 12:30
then at 1:30 it is again parked up and not moved until 6pm and at 6pm it was colder than this morning it only does it very first thing in the morning.

get a dealer to scan the fault memory, or do it yourself with vag-com.

It should say something like "multiple missfires on cylinder xx"

My S3 has been doing this as well. When I do move away though it feels like the turbo isn't working. If I stop then start again, everything is normal. So, last night I dropped it into my local dealer so they could start it from cold this morning and figure out what the problem is. I'll post again once they come back to me. Personally, I don't think it's a coilpack issue - i've had a couple of them and it isn't the same...

Seriously, there are so many different reasons as to why it may be happening, but you're all talking about different situations and applying the same diagnosis.

Some people are having problems when initially started, and others are having problems when driving (and maybe idle too).

please somebody correct me if i'm speaking ********, but this is how i understand it:

The engine has many maps, but they can be easily split into 2 types: idle and run maps. For the idle map, some different sensors/switches come into play to those used in the run map. Those used in idle are lambda's, camshaft sensor, coolant temperature sensor, n75

Those used in a run map are lambda's, camshaft, knock, MAF, coolant, throttle position, clutch switch, DV, n75, intake temperature, etc etc.

I'm out of my league try to explain and list all of the sensors and switches, but the point is that the idle map is a more simple one that has less to go wrong - but can still be affected by a good-old air-leak.

To be honest and fair to everbody though, everything people have suggested in this thread COULD be the root cause of poor running problems, which is why the first thing people say is "what does vag-com say". Without vag-com, you just have to resort back to the old method of replacing the cheapest and most likely bits first - which are the coilpacks.

Yeah i agree with madvw, that's why i mentioned vag com as my car has had many running/starting/spluttering issues, and it really isn't possible to tell from just a description on the internet.

If nothing else vag com will at least give you some pointers as of where to start looking/checking

AWESOME! how i love the irony of fate....

Just went out for a drive for the first time today, and guess what? yep.

anyway, scanned it with vag-com (shareware 409 + gendan interface works OK with vista.... for those interested, drivers are picked up by windowsupdate...)

aaaaand:

1 Fault Found:
17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling System (usually temp Sensor or Thermostat)
P1296 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

anyway.. back from audi with a new coolant sensor and o-ring, parts for a BAM are:

A059 919 501A - C3D1 Temperature Sensor
AN 903 168 02 - C3D1 O-Ring

£24 +vat.

and also the excellent how-to for a BAM engine:

http://www.wak-tt.com/tempsensor/tempsensor.htm

The moral.... dont listen to me....use vag-com

Just heard back from the dealer.

Firstly they were able to replicate the cold starting problem I was having - always a good thing...

They mentioned 2 issues specifically:

- the throttle body needs readapting so it is letting the correct amount of air through. On mine it has lost it's original settings and needs a good clean.

- the thermostat needs replacing

They're going to hang on to it overnight so they can check it again in the morning.

Finger's crossed - but they seem confident...

mine also been doing this but if I rev it a little it goes away. Might have to track down someone with vaccom near me. or just change the sensor for 25 quid

Hmm, defo check it first.

No point in replacing things that arent broke, wether they're £25 or £250

Following my note above, car started fine this morning and dealer confident that all now ok after fixing throttle body and replacing bust thermostat.

Marvellous!!!!!

Mines doing the same and I have plugged it in and no fault code so Audi are having it on the 27th,coilpacks are covered by a five year warranty by Audi so get them to pay for them

fingermouse said:
mine also been doing this but if I rev it a little it goes away. Might have to track down someone with vaccom near me. or just change the sensor for 25 quid

As mentioned to Aky, your welcome to use my copy of vagcom if you're near me.

might have to have a mini meet up then cheers :) im in huddersfied area, if you can see emley moor tv mast then im not far from that lol

I'm in littleborough, near J21 off the M62 so just a short hop really. I'd be up for the meet but the battery on my vagcom laptop is dodgy so I need a power source :( . I scanned Aky's earlier tonight though and it didn't turn up any obvious problems (i'll let Aky elaborate if he wants to!). I'm happy to do yours though if you want, it just means I can have a good nosey at your car as well (as I did with Aky's - and it sure is a nice motor!).

As Funky says I went round thinking I would be able to easily find out what the problem was. Nothing came up apart from Error code 17705 which I don't think will be anything to do with the car starting on 3 cylinders. Vag-Com/Ross Tech suggests checking out the N249 valve, check for boost leaks and possbily throttle body re-allignment. Cheers for taking the time to have a look. Pitty nothing conclusive. Hope you manage to twist the Mrs's arm into letting you get some new suspension.

Quick scoot off topic:

Aky said:
Hope you manage to twist the Mrs's arm into letting you get some new suspension.

When I got in I ran the idea of new suspension, ARB's and brembo's by her....lets just say she wasn't as enthusiastic as me. No worries though, next time it goes in for a service, I'll make sure its an expensive one ;)

Back on topic:

Good look with the hunt for the fault.

well i code read the engine and nothing came up apart froma code that hadn't been cleared from ages ago.

there was something though, i *may* have a knackered O2 sensor could this cause the spluttering on a cold start ?

my cars been at the stealers since thursday,it has started boosting as well now.
Whilst they have it I'm in their brand new A3 which is a nice change.

Just got a sensor from gsf , just under 20 quid all in. Guy there said ppl often change these every 10,000 miles if they do a lot of short runs it seems to kill them ??? . Suppose he will know more than me