The computer display, horizontal lines + fuzziness

Badgeronimous

Reaction score
Website
roybacer.net
I'm guessing this is a known problem as my old T Sport did this too, I'm getting horizontal lines across the computer display of my 51 plate S3. Sometimes these are not that bad, infact sometimes there are none at all, whilst other times there may be as many as 20 or 30 horizontal lines across the display.

I think it is worse when there is moisture about, but I dunno, I might just be imagining that. Usually on a long journey they screen will be fine by the end of it.

Is there a way to fix this?

dont think so mate,try and colour the lines in with a pen,lol.

I Think to cure it you will need a new display console with rev counter etc,not cheap but try breakers yard or ebay for breaking cars.

Ashs3 is stripping his car so maybe you could swap with him for a bit of cash.not sure if they need programming though.

Unfortunatelt its a common problem with no fix but to swap for a new set of instruments.

Mine seem to be worse in warm weather. I just turn the thing off these days.

Or try putting heat up to 23-24 degres for a while and have vents atleast partly closed as i've found it warms the dash up nicely

and my all lines dissappear:thumbsup:, until the next time it sits for a while and gets cold/damp but other than that its a new display which is a lot of £££

Hope this helps

I've heard that the problem originates from the connections to the display peeling off on the back. I'm sure a read about someone doing a home-mod where they put a backing plate onto the display to push the connections back on again.

Another message from rumour control says that it can be caused by leaving the car in direct sunlight in summer, heating the dash up to searing temps.

BTW, I notice comparing my old 2000 a3 to my 2002 s3, that the technology looks different between the screens. its more 'lcd' like on the s3. i dont get any lines disappearing on the s3, where as i used to get lines going on the a3, but on the s3 i sometimes get a bit of fading in the top left corner. different technology im sure.......

I have read that it is definitley a DIY job if you are brave and careful/steady handed, there is a post on here somewhere abut it, basically you need to remove the cluster and un attatch the screen, gently clean the terminals (dont quote me but i think with electrical terminal cleaner on a cotton bud) the person who did it also used i thin rubber pad between the screen and the clamps to incease the clamping pressure for a better conection, as there are no plugs as such, just the reliance of the terminals being pressed together. Again please dont quote me on this and try searching before you go pulling your car to bits but this is what i am going to attempt when i have some time as the going rate for new clocks fitted is at least 550gbp...... hope this helps

get in touch with audi, they have extended the waranty on them dash panels to seven years if your car falls in that catogory!