My a3 won't start :-(

Zoobz

Reaction score
Hi everyone..

Drove my a3 1.6 to college this morning, it started fine evrything was normal, i came back after my lesson about an hour and a half later and it just wouldnt start :crying: done all the simple checks oil was fine.. battery was fine.. made my mechanic listen to it over the phone he said it could be the crank shaft, Anyway i called the AA who took over 2 HOURS coming.. he done a few checks and decided there was a problem with the feul pump.. is this a common problem? anyone else had problems with this..? i wanted to get towed to my garage in luton they said there system has been down so recovery would be a FURTHER 5 HOURS! :ohmy: since then i'v walked home from college in the arctic conditions wearing my 3 quarter length shorts and a jumper :blownose: as i was supposed to go straight to my football coaching job.. im still waiting for them to call me for recovery..

what if i was too far away from home..? it was still a 30 min walk. :sign_unfair:

You'll need to give a bit more info, what happens when you turn the key? Are all lights etc on on the dash as per normal, have u tried bump starting it.

Also, really stupid question but did it have fuel in it?

Yea its gota full tank of petrol.. when i turn the key all the lights come on the dash as normal.. the engine oil light did start flashin.. but the engine oil was fine i added a bit more just in case.. havent had any previous problems with it, had it for about 6 months.. do u mean jump startin? tried that didnt work.. still waiting for the AA recovery lol.

I'd have a blind guess at your oil pump but i'd get vag com on it.

When i say bump start i mean pushing/pulling it in 2nd or 3rd with the clutch down, dash lights on then lifting the clutch.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea if your oil pressure light is flashing.

I take it the starter motor turned but there was no spark? or was the car not letting anything kick in at all?

if you were turning it over on the starter the oil light will flash as the pressure builds up and drops off with the rotation of the starter motor, perfectly normal. FYI a low oil level or indeed oil pressure wouldn't stop a car starting anyway. does the immobilisor light go out on the dash? if that's flashing then the reader coil has failed in the ignition switch, fairly common fault i believe or as the breakdown guy says, fuel pump

Hi guys,
thanks for you help, i finally got it towed at 8pm! i was waiting since 1.. not happy at all with AA's service at one point they refused to pick it up as the guy that came to check it 1st reported back that he refused giving me a service..i recieved a call informing me of this and i was quite angry insisting there must be a mix up.. the manager said he had to take his employees word for it and couldnt ask him again as he was off-duty.. what a joke! what happend to the customers always right? after a few more calls they apologised and said i was 1st priority.

My garage have confirmed there's a problem with the fuel pump, there's no feul getting the engine but there is a spark.