For the folks with Auto. Transmissions

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Despite claims that Audi Auto Transmissions fluids are lifelong, I fell a wee service is in order. Has anyone ever had a service on their transmission before. I am sure (and hope) a little oil change (lube) will make a world of difference to a very clunky Audi transmission.... :icon_thumright: (2000, 50K)

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_fluid/audi_automatic_transmission_fluid.shtml

The yanks do it, so why don't we...(see above)

I know the story about tip-tronic gearboxes, but Renault, etc. all insist that the transmission oil is changed every 30K

Seems strange that Audi would miss an opportunity for some cash, or maybe I am missing something here...Is the transmission too sensitive to touch....:think:

FYI: For future reference or search

VAG Auto 'boxes are not the best in the world, to be honest. They were a joint effort with Renault.

Yes, you can drain and refill. Buy the OE fluid from VW/Audi. You'll need about a gallon. There should be a drain bung underneath. IIRC the diff oil is conventional oil and seperated from the transmission unit itself so needs changing seperately.
There is no filter as such, there is a pick up strainer inside the sump. If you want to change it you will have to remove the sump. You'll need a new gasket when you refit it. I don't think there is a change interval on these - they are a sort of 'last resort' to stop swarf circulating.