Front Mount On S3

Pat

Reaction score
Well i`ve now had my S3 for 10 months, and spent quite abit.. I`m looking into buying a front mount next.. I don`t wanna spend big money but was wondering what options were out there..

Any advice welcome

Got a Forge one for sale mate, only been on car a few months, perfect condition, complete with all black silicon hoses, metal pipes, jubilee clips etc...

Pretty sure ive even got the original box for it! Bought it from DPM on here

Ash

what are fmic like to fit how long does it take? or did you get a garage to do it if so how much? sorry for all the questions but im thinkin of gettin one myself

danotto said:
what are fmic like to fit how long does it take?

It takes a good few hours.
Once the bumper is off you take all the standard stuff off/out and line the new stuff up...adjusting brackiets etc if you are picky...but I'd say start to finish would be 6+ hours.
Give yourself a day to make a nice neat job.

Not especially difficult...just time consuming as some of the hoses/clips can be tight and awkward.

Yea doesnt take too long aslong as your neat and got all the right tools
Couldnt get the fog lights back in when i fitted mine so i took it to forge and i just had the pipes on the wrong way around!! :keule: :keule:

Is there any other options bar forge??

Is there any point in fitting a fmic to an S3 running a standard turbo?
I would've thought that the standard smic's would manage fine.

Infact, jbs don't even recommend fitting an fmic to their hybrid jbs05 turbo.

The bigger the turbo, the cooler the charge for a set boost on a given engine size...
So, on a standard turbo, re-mapped car, you get VERY high inlet charge temperatures, especially if you start to push things a bit...making a FMIC an essential to keep things cool and heatsoak away.

I can well believe a big turbo car doesn't need it...but I'd still fit one to get the efficiency up, as the standard ICs aren't the best size or shape.

Just out of curiosity, are there any FMIC's out there which keep the car looking standard?

Not too impressed with the pics i've seen where you can't get the front side grills back on etc.

I have a black proalloy one on my s3, everything is retained unmolested and invisible form the outside, all grills, washer jets all in place. IIRC only one horn needs tweaking out of place.

S4quatt said:
Just out of curiosity, are there any FMIC's out there which keep the car looking standard?

Not too impressed with the pics i've seen where you can't get the front side grills back on etc.

Theres a FMIC behind this bumper:

ForgeFMICwithBumperOnNo3.jpg

A wee bit of trimming of the drivers side air guide to the standard IC (which I kept, since I was running an uprated SMIC in series) but all the grilles back on, no hacking of the bumper bar etc...

This was the FMIC:

ForgeFMICNo3.jpg

ForgeFMICInstalledNo5.jpg

I can't be done with all this flash-git silver FMIC and plished pipes...it has to be stealth, look standard, fit properly and most of all, work.

Star Performance did mine...although Forge built it to a Star design.
Anodised black, black powder coated pipes and Samco hoses.
You couldn't see it unless you looked for it...but it worked.

78 degrees inlet air temperature, after the std ICs, on the dyno at 1.7 bar of boost :)no: )...no more than 30 degrees with the FMIC fitted...and nearer 23 degrees with the FMIC and forge uprated SMIC.

They work, and work well...and best of all..you wouldn't know it/they were there.

Ess_Three said:
Theres a FMIC behind this bumper:

A wee bit of trimming of the drivers side air guide to the standard IC (which I kept, since I was running an uprated SMIC in series) but all the grilles back on, no hacking of the bumper bar etc...

This was the FMIC:

I can't be done with all this flash-git silver FMIC and plished pipes...it has to be stealth, look standard, fit properly and most of all, work.

Star Performance did mine...although Forge built it to a Star design.
Anodised black, black powder coated pipes and Samco hoses.
You couldn't see it unless you looked for it...but it worked.

78 degrees inlet air temperature, after the std ICs, on the dyno at 1.7 bar of boost :)no: )...no more than 30 degrees with the FMIC fitted...and nearer 23 degrees with the FMIC and forge uprated SMIC.

They work, and work well...and best of all..you wouldn't know it/they were there.

NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!!!

Btw what kind of gains do you get with one of them? And of course how much £££?

Gains?
None. Nothing. Nowt. Sweet FA.

What you will get is the full potential for power that your re-map could produce, if it weren't getting heat soaked and reducing the timing to protect itself from the risk of melting things.

Basically, you'll get full potential power, all day, every day...and much less chance of heatsoak.

But, to get more power, you really need to have a bespoke re-map done to take acount of the cooler charge.

I think a FMIc will cost you about £500 ish...probably more if you change all the hoses to Silicone and all the clamps to Mikanor which will hold the pressure if you really start cranking the boost up.

I doubt I saw much change out of £1000 odd for both the FMIC and SMIC, hoses and clamps.
..for no real gains, except the ability to run higher boost, and start pushing things in relative safety.

It's still a worthwhile mod though...the S3 heatsoaks something silly...after 20 mins or so of fast driving - or less on the track - you can feel the power tailing off...with an FMIC you don't, so you keep the power you have, for much, much longer.

Ess_Three said:
Gains?
None. Nothing. Nowt. Sweet FA.

What you will get is the full potential for power that your re-map could produce, if it weren't getting heat soaked and reducing the timing to protect itself from the risk of melting things.

Basically, you'll get full potential power, all day, every day...and much less chance of heatsoak.

But, to get more power, you really need to have a bespoke re-map done to take acount of the cooler charge.

I think a FMIc will cost you about £500 ish...probably more if you change all the hoses to Silicone and all the clamps to Mikanor which will hold the pressure if you really start cranking the boost up.

I doubt I saw much change out of £1000 odd for both the FMIC and SMIC, hoses and clamps.
..for no real gains, except the ability to run higher boost, and start pushing things in relative safety.

It's still a worthwhile mod though...the S3 heatsoaks something silly...after 20 mins or so of fast driving - or less on the track - you can feel the power tailing off...with an FMIC you don't, so you keep the power you have, for much, much longer.

Glen,
I couldn't find the forge uprated SMIC on their website? Where can I find it?

And also, how affective are they?

I am thinking of fitting only uprated smics as I don't like the idea of an fmic. It sits infront of the radiator. So even though the charge is cooled, I wouldn't have thought it'd be helping with the engine coolant temps.
Probably the reason why Audi decided to fit them as side mounts instead of a front mount, which would've been the more obvious choice (aka rs2).

Thoughts?

Cheers.

glen_jai said:
Glen,

I am thinking of fitting only uprated smics as I don't like the idea of an fmic. It sits infront of the radiator. So even though the charge is cooled, I wouldn't have thought it'd be helping with the engine coolant temps.
Probably the reason why Audi decided to fit them as side mounts instead of a front mount, which would've been the more obvious choice (aka rs2).

Thoughts?

Cheers.

I don't think they do them anymore, just give them a call or email, they are very helpful!

jojo said:
I don't think they do them anymore, just give them a call or email, they are very helpful!

I think you're right Jojo.

Tried to call Forge, but don't think they're open on saturday.
Awesome gti don't list smic for Forge.

There is one company that does do them... I called a shop called SCA in Norwich who can get them in and fit them. Though they recommend fmics too.

Guess that's my question answered then.

glen_jai said:
Glen,

Thoughts?

Cheers.

My Forge SMIC was a one off they did, based on a modified Golf 4 SMIC I think, it was also anodised black.

I'm sure they would still make one if you really wanted...

As for how effective?
No idea...better than standard since it was bigger...but back to back, no idea. Sorry.

'My' old S3 has done many trackdays and hard runs and cooling just isn't an issue, even with a FMIC, so don't worry about that.

I had a custom Forge one not that puny thing posted on the thread and it was awesome,ask forge to powercoat it for you job done.

Forge said:
here to help

Hi there, just wondering if you still do your side mounted coolers for the S3? If so, are they as good as the front mounts in cooling?

And while you're on the case, can I just quickly ask what the difference is between the Forge 007 and 006 DVs? I heard the 006 is larger. Will it still fit under the plastic cover? I'm more interested in the 006 because I heard it emits more of a turbo noise.

Thanks.

we only ever did one set of twin side mounts , they were ok but didnt perform as well as the FMIC . so it made no sense to continue with them , we find the FMIC is good on chipped or big turbo upgrades.

The 007 P valve is similar in size to the oem bosch valve , the 006 is a larger bodied version , the function internally is the same , single piston single spring , both valves should fit under the engine cover with no issues.
As the valves a both designed as recirculation type valves one shouldnt really sound any louder than the other ...hope this helps

S4quatt said:

Here's the Forge on fitted, still in standard silver.

chris3023.jpg

Forge said:
we only ever did one set of twin side mounts , they were ok but didnt perform as well as the FMIC . so it made no sense to continue with them , we find the FMIC is good on chipped or big turbo upgrades.

The 007 P valve is similar in size to the oem bosch valve , the 006 is a larger bodied version , the function internally is the same , single piston single spring , both valves should fit under the engine cover with no issues.
As the valves a both designed as recirculation type valves one shouldnt really sound any louder than the other ...hope this helps

Thanks for the info.
fmic and 007 it is then....

Ooooh, now that Forge are answering posts.

Can you tell me why your Forge branded FMIC for the VW/Audi Mk4 chassis performs so badly in comparison in terms of heat with other, mass produced items such as that from Godspeed.

The Forge item shows an improvement over the single SMIC however your graphs still demonstrate 47 degrees intake air heat max with the forge item.

As show on VWVortex the Godspeed item maintains approx 27-30 degrees. The intercooler is also in very popular use in the USA as shown on Vortex so these figures have been demonstrated time and time again.

I understand that testing obviously will have taken place in a different environment, but 20 degrees??!!!??

Then, your Audi S3 FMIC shows that the Forge FMIC for that model will produce 30 degree air intake temperatures.

OK, the Turbos are different, the K04 being slightly larger than the K03s, however, if your testing is correct and informative, would this account for the 20 degrees in this case? However, that still doesnt answer why the Godspeed FMIC on the SAME turbo is 20 degrees colder than yours.

For information, the Godspeed intercooler kit is 300 GBP, the Forge item is 800GBP.

This question was asked on the UKmkivs.net, where your reply was the equivalent of a fob off, as you quoted differential temperatures, which is tantamount to admitting your product is inferior, as the godspeed shows WAY better differentials for 500GBP less.

Do you think you could expand on that here?

There is no ducking of issues and I will not enter into a US forum style ******* match , we conducted our tests and stand buy our results I do not have any information about any other customers intercoolers or there performance , If a customer is not a 100% happy then they can have a full refund ....We supply ECS tuning, NGP Performance , Matrix Engineering , ( USA tuners ) and all the most UK tuners with this product