EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Wishbone Replacement

both ball joints are knackered on mine plus looking at the rubber bushes on the wishbones they are long past their best.. has anyone replaced the complete wishbones ? im guessing the parts are Audi only but maybe not ?

anyone have any info including how difficult the job is ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    does this apply to the S3 too ?

http://www.modshack.info/defcon.htm

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    I spoke to APS last week and they will fit the Defcon kit to my S3 and it's around the same price, maybe a little cheaper than two new wishbones (they're around £109, maybe + VAT from Audi each). I think he quoted £230 all in for fitting the defcon kit.

I've had the wishbones off my car in the past when I fitted the powerflex bushes and it's not that hard a job, the worst bit was actually getting some of the nuts off the ball joint, one needed to be cut off in the end. I'd say if you know what your doing and have the tools to hand you could get the wishbone off in 30mins-1hour and back on isn't too hard either. You will need the allingment sorting after though.

1st Gear

Status
    thats good news ! ill look at that option then, i wasnt sure as i thought the S3 had the same wishbones as the original Mk1 TT (before the recall was implemented) - seems like this could be a great mod for the handling

Neutral

Status
    I have just taken my wishbones off and replaced the bushes with superflex ones. Think the bushes cost me around 70.

It's not that bad replacing the bushes, a standard bench vice will do it. Best to have an assistant though, as you will need two pairs of hands to get everything lined up.

I did mine in about 3-4hrs, but wasn't rushing, and I haven't done them before.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Polyurethane?

You'll need to change them in a few months. They aren't recommended for A3/S3 front wishbones.

Neutral

Status
    Yes, I believe they are. Why, what are the issues relating to poly bushes?

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    The center steel bore isn't directly connected to the outer polyurethane like the OEM bush. Over time the poly stretches with the movement of the arm and fails to grip the steel. Eventually you begin to experience vauge steering.

Poly seems to be okay for the front part of the front wishbone, but not the rear larger bush.

Best setup is OEM S3/TT rubber at the rear bush, and early rubber + defcon bush converter at the front.

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    I'd say that's exactly what's happened to my car that's been fitted with the powerflex poly bushes waste of space, I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to standard in the next few days.