Re-map Rolling road shootout???

Fat Tony

Reaction score
I have been looking throught the poll of re maps for the 1.8t, it made me think, all the figures given on the day of the map can vary so much between cars and companys, has there been a RR shootout to finally determine the best power, torque and drivability of each map? All on the same RR and all on the same day?

Even if the RR is a bit optomistic it will still give a good idea as to what each companys map can do?
Obviously it would have to be on otherwise standard S3s to keep it as accurate as possible.

Is there a company that is confident theirs is the best that will compare a selection of cars to give an accurate comparison chart to help us decide which one to spend our hard earned on???

Just an idea :p

Apologies if this has been covered before

Hahaha do we have the first candidate to represent revo!?!

Happy to be involved. My car is totally standard other than the CC remap. Would also be interested in the findings...

Fat Tony said:
I have been looking throught the poll of re maps for the 1.8t, it made me think, all the figures given on the day of the map can vary so much between cars and companys, has there been a RR shootout to finally determine the best power, torque and drivability of each map? All on the same RR and all on the same day?

Even if the RR is a bit optomistic it will still give a good idea as to what each companys map can do?
Obviously it would have to be on otherwise standard S3s to keep it as accurate as possible.

Is there a company that is confident theirs is the best that will compare a selection of cars to give an accurate comparison chart to help us decide which one to spend our hard earned on???

Just an idea :p

Apologies if this has been covered before

So from what I gather you have a standard A3/S3 and want us to spend our cash on rolling roads so you can decide which is the best map for you and your car?

You pay for mine to be rolling roaded and I'll let you see the results

I think that the idea is that one of the tuning companies 'hosts' this... Not sure whether that will work or not - Fat Chance I say.

On the other hand, I wouldnt object to be asked for a contribution on the basis that there is probably a deal to be done somewhere here for those that are interested...

why a shoot out why not just a normal rolling road day were you find a company thats willing to do a deal were you get a let say 10 cars min. they might drop the price if thers enough cars easy money for the days work.same as jbs done the other month worked out to be £25 a car

Aky said:
So from what I gather you have a standard A3/S3 and want us to spend our cash on rolling roads so you can decide which is the best map for you and your car?

You pay for mine to be rolling roaded and I'll let you see the results

Haha, no! I was hoping to answer the most asked question on here! For everyone!

There would finally be a definitive answer as to which map is best for each personal preference......

When i started the thread i was thinking one of the big companies would be into showing their muscle and taking on the challenge, however..... im now thinking.... what about the embaressment to a company like revo saying they are the best and finding out other cheaper alternatives beat them:blownose:

Although, custom code sound pretty confident, i think i remember reading on their site that they are unbeatable! (dont quote me on that though, i have read soooo many sites they all seem to merge into one!) Maybe its just a dream of an ideal world!! Is there any representitives of the companies on the forum?? Imagine having the title of uk wide top re map on all the forums!! surely 5 or 6 power runs would pay for itself :icon_thumright:

Fat Tony said:
what about the embaressment to a company like revo saying they are the best and finding out other cheaper alternatives beat them
How very dare you!! another to the Revo hitlist ho hum

Just had an APS remap, more than pleased thats whats important to me and the fact I trust them never heard a bad review... what more can I say?

I think it would be a good idea to have an s3 shootout.. be interesting to see what people are producing..

Dave B said:
Just had an APS remap, more than pleased thats whats important to me and the fact I trust them never heard a bad review... what more can I say?

Hi Dave... Guess who... :moa:

I might have another option to compare in the near future and I'd be happy to join in if it's done in time.

Don't wish to throw a spanner in the works or anything, and I might not even be on the right lines but it's just a thought...

Obviously you'd try to keep as many variables for the rollers the same, but as is mentioned above about a 'control' set of wheels/tyres helping keep things even, might there be further variation based on the general condition of the cars and their motors? -There might be some in tip-top shape, some with little boost-leaks, some with slightly dodgy MAFs, generally tired components through mileage wear and tear etc. Also might different engine codes behave differently with certain maps?

I dunno, just thinking aloud...

Regards,

Rob.

FactionOne said:
Don't wish to throw a spanner in the works or anything, and I might not even be on the right lines but it's just a thought...

Obviously you'd try to keep as many variables for the rollers the same, but as is mentioned above about a 'control' set of wheels/tyres helping keep things even, might there be further variation based on the general condition of the cars and their motors? -There might be some in tip-top shape, some with little boost-leaks, some with slightly dodgy MAFs, generally tired components through mileage wear and tear etc. Also might different engine codes behave differently with certain maps?

I dunno, just thinking aloud...

Surely that's the whole point - comparing cars how they actually are and how they're driven each day.
Not how they should be or what the factory/tuning company says !

Yeah, I was just thinking that if it's going to be done to figure out which tuner's map delivers the most power, or has the most aggressive curve etc. you'd probably want the cars to be otherwise identical as much as they could...

Map 'A' produces 272bhp with an impressive curve.
Map 'B' produces 261bhp with a weaker curve.

The coder of map 'A' is deemed to be better at it...

Then the owner of the car with map 'B' finds a small boost leak where the owner of the car with map 'A' doesn't; so maybe the results are skewed?...

Regards,

Rob.

Fat Tony said:
a RR shootout to finally determine the best power, torque and drivability of each map? All on the same RR and all on the same day?
Its not all about power,if you read the original post you'll realise that its a bit open to interpretation.
Not any one person drives the same as the other,might be similar but not exactly the same

Fat Tony said:
a RR shootout to finally determine the best power, torque and drivability of each map? All on the same RR and all on the same day?

voorhees said:
Its not all about power,if you read the original post you'll realise that its a bit open to interpretation.
Not any one person drives the same as the other,might be similar but not exactly the same

Fair play on the drivability score - I totally hear what you're saying about some maps being better suited to a given driving style than others, and it'd be interesting to know the lowdown. Power and torque were mentioned though, and that's what popped into my head. Thinking about it a little more, issues that affect power and torque might plausibly have some effect on 'drivability' or 'feel' too - after all if a map is putting out less power than it normally might because of a busted MAF or little boost leak, it might feel different too.

Anyway, not saying it's a bad idea - I totally agree it's a useful exerise, was just thinking that perhaps the reults should be more a guide than a bible unless there are numerous cars with each type of map so that any gremlins and anomalies are easier to spot...

Regards,

Rob.

I agree totally with you Rob,I took note of what tony said only because I thought a power shootout wouldn't be worth any of us standard turbo remaps turning up as grathies,ant,ed and chris would be miles ahead of us.
My remap is very aggressive at the start and eases off the faster you go which I find suits me and fuel consumption seems better

god_thats_quick said:
Hi Dave... Guess who... :moa:

I might have another option to compare in the near future and I'd be happy to join in if it's done in time.

Hmmmmm slightly yellow me thinks....?