Xenon/HID upgrade

Mr Singh

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My first post here.

Spent a little while searching the forum but not really found the answer..

I have a 2001 A3 with facelift front end. It doesn't have Xenons/HIDs just your regular bulbs.

I want to fit some 6000k HIDs to them.. Got a set from eBay recently while they wire up and work fine with the ballasts provided, However the bulb doesn't fit the back of the headlight housing?

Do i have to remove the headlights and drill out the previous bulb mountings (circle saw drill bit) and fit the bulbs that way?

Thanks for any help, sorry if you guys are done to death with this topic aswell!

Cheers.

Are you sure you've got the right bulb type? Didn't need to do any drilling when fitting mine. As the bulbs are directional with a beam pattern, if they're not fitted in securely the light will bounce all over the road.

I'd get the proper bulb type if I was you.

It sounds like you have actual DS2 bulbs. The type of bulbs that come with most of the kits people get from ebay are hid bulbs with halogen ends on them so that they fit where the original bulbs were. I'm not sure what the solution is to be honest. I guess you could do what you said and risk ruining the headlamps. Personally i'd try sourcing some s3 headlamps where the bulbs would fit properly. Although that may be pricey...

Ok thanks. Explains it, when i instructed the missus to order, she got H7s no H1s LOL

Let you know how i get on :)