Coilpacks on the way out?

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
When I start the car for the first time especially on a cold morning I have problems firing the car up. It starts on 3 cylinders and normally takes a couple of blasts of the accelerator.

Well this morning it sounded like this for about 20 seconds. Kept sounding like it was starting on 3 then 4 then back to 3 and it was idling pretty rough to be honest.

Would a fault have been logged? Does this sound like my coils are going to go soon?

If it's misfiring on a cylinder a fault should have been logged on the ECU - do you have access to vag.com at all? - If so, you will get the standard engine misfire code (16684) and then another code to tell you which cylinder is playing up, it should be as follows:

(16685 - Misfire cylinder 1)
(16686 - Misfire cylinder 2)
(16687 - Misfire cylinder 3)
(16688 - Misfire cylinder 4)

It's probably also worth checking that none of the coil packs have "popped up" as a loose coil pack won't make the spark plug connection properly, they should push into place on the BAM engine.

Good luck

Mike

Cheers Mike - don't think it has popped out as it's only first thing in the morning and possible when wet which would indicate a shortage of power.

I think I need to buy a licensed copy of Vag-com.

If the coilpack was faulty, then it would be shaking and running on 3 cylinders the whole time. If it's just for a few seconds during a cold start then it could be something else. Best to get it scanned.

not really true if its the same as coil packs on a peugeout,i had mine starting ruff in the cold mornings for ages and then kicking in!it died on me finialyl on the ay back from magny cour in france.!

cappsy said:
not really true if its the same as coil packs on a peugeout,i had mine starting ruff in the cold mornings for ages and then kicking in!it died on me finialyl on the ay back from magny cour in france.!

In English now please.

Reactions: andywaddy
cappsy said:

Thanks I presume the coil went rather the engine. In English would be good:icon_thumright:

On some peugeots if the coil pack is on the way out it the car can seem fine and have the odd missfire. Then all of a sudden it packs in.

Well known fault in pugs.

I understood him:)