oil cooler, how to fit

mbs3

Reaction score
Looks like my oil coiler has give up! I should be fine changing it myself, but i was just wondering if anyone had come across any guides on the net? Just to make it a little easier!

How can an oil cooler give up?

Its blocked?

Is it the cooler, the sandwich plate or the pipe runs.

I don't see how it can stop working?

Im loosing coolant througth the exhaust ( white smoke ) and ive just had the head rebuilt with new valves and inspected, with a new head gasket, so i know im safe there.

If you do a bit of research you will find this is common on 1.8t's for water to get into the oil througth the oil cooler, as the brazing can brake inside so the two liquids can come together.

So as there fairly cheap this is next step to take, just hoping it isnt the turbo:faint:

white smoke in the morning or the whole time while driving?

Its not condensation, its white smoke all the time. Im loosing coolant quickly im sure its this.

Ill be able to change it fine, i was just posting to see if any one had any tips for changing it? As often with things like this there are little tricks or tips to make it easier.

If you have white smoke in your exhaust, I dont think it will be your heat exchanger leaking. This would put water directly into your oil and give you a horrid milky emulsified oil. It should not get from there into your combustion chambers to be burnt.
UNfortunately its most likely that you have a coolant leak directly into the combustion chamber, with another HG fault. Do a compression test to see if one cyl is down. Also, you can get your coolant system pressure tested.

If water was direct in the oil, you'd only burn the coolant by buring the oil and this would show blue and be a proble too.

It could also be a turbo seal problem, another place water from the turbo leaking into the inlet tract and being burnt.

Could the turbo have been ****** and damaged during the last problem you had?

Its only done 50 miles since the head gasket was changed.

Im 100% its not the head or gasket as the mechanic i use is top notch, and it was all inspected before it went bck together to check for cracks etc.

I am getting mayo on the cap still, so i was pretty sure it was the oil cooler. Ill go see my mechanic im sure hell know whats up. Just thougth id change the cooler myself if thats whats up, as it looks a fairly simple job.

Well if your coolant gets to the oil and they is being burnt, it means you oil is too!!!

If you are happy with the head job, its more likely the turbo where the problem is arising.

For lots of white steam smoke, it must be coolant getting directly into the combustion chamber or inlet tract.
HAppy hunting. BTW, what were the symptoms and circumstances of your HG failure.....? It is very rare for a 18T HG to fail, even when mapped. UNfortunately once the head is off them, in my experience, they are never quite the same again for some reason!

Found to be a cracked head in the end, now got a nice low millage one, running sweet!