Upgrading speakers

mikerd4

Reaction score
Toying with upgrading the stereo in the car soon, but Im not going down the amps route (been there spent a fortune). I just want to uprate whats in the car if possible

It doesnt have a bose setup and I am guessing there are four speakers in the car, can any recommend any speakers or give dimensions of the existing ones/space there is

Also toying with an alpine ipod only headunit, can anyone tell me if the standard audi changer can be controlled still if I go down that route?

try and pm andymac his the man whos tryed and tested alot of audis and found the best setup for most models with out spending to much.

Best upgrade is a new HU and a stealth sub. The Audi changer cannot be used with anything other than the Audi HU, so sell it on ebay.
The front speakers are 4" components with 1" tweeters. Adapters are available to fit 5.25" components but the limitation is depth (about 55mm) and more importantly the flimsy door card they are attached to. You will not get any improvement in mid bass by upgrading just the speakers and/or HU.
The rears are 6.5" coaxials, but again are attached to 6mm hardboard so not really worth upgrading at all.
For £400 you can fit a stealth sub which sorts out the bass and some new front components for better high end. Then whatever you decide on the HU, although you can still get vast improvements doing the above and keeping the stock HU.

Im running Andy's stealth sub on standard symphony head unit and thoroughly recomend this setup, the improvement is massive one of the best mods ive carried out. I did decide to upgrade the speakers aswell, i went with Focals and Alpine components to improve the sound quality. If you decide to upgrade the speakers dont buy the plastic speaker adaptors theyre rubbish (overpriced and very flimsy), i made my own mounting adaptors out of MDF.

what comps would you suggest andy?

Well anything is better than the Nokia rubbish Audi fit, but as said it's the depth that will limit your choice, so you need slim fit units, but don't spend more than about £100 on them. I've only fitted Rainbow 230slx's or Infinity kappa 50.5 (which I think are discontinued). Pioneer used to do custom fit units for the A3 which are a straight swap.

Alpine do some custom fits for the front doors which are what im running, im using focals in the back as there are no depth worries there.

S3Steve, did you fit a bass speaker or just replace the standards. What are the model numbers you used~?