Heel and Toe in an A3

cha1n

Reaction score
Me and one of my mates are thinking of buying a car for the track and therefore i've been reading up on race driving.

I want to learn heel and toe downshifts so that i'm competent when we start racing but i went to try it this morning and i can't see that it would be possible with the standard pedal setup. Has anyone been able to do it (correctly) and if not does anyone recommend a pedal set that would allow this proceedure to be carried out? Cheers

it depends if you mean heel and toe as in power and brakes at the same time, to get the effect of left foot braking, or if its just to blip the throttle on downshifts as you brake to match the revs.

For matching the revs, I do it on every single downshift in my A3, I find that instead of actually using your heel and toe, I roll my foot from one pedal to the other, using the ball of my foot on the brake and the outside of my foot to blip the throttle and match the revs, although to make full use of that technique you need to double de-clutch, and have big feet :)

Thanks for your reply prawn. I was refering to blipping the throttle whilst braking on downshifts to rev match. I will try doing it the way you do instead of using my heel (I have size 10, it should work!).

I've not read about left foot braking yet, is the point of it to stop weight transfer occuring when lifting off the throttle?

I heal and toe on downsifts in my s3, althougth the pedal set up isnt as good as some cars. I swing the side of my foot and use the outside edge of my heal, ive found this suits me best.

Theres also no need to double de-clutch, just a blip of the throttle when in nuetral between the gear change with the clutch down is perfect. Modern cars have synchro boxes, so theres no advantage to double de-clutching, althougth its a good technique to know.

Yeh, i wasn't planning on double de-clutching because of what i've read about it and syncronised boxes like you said. I don't think it will be possible to use my heel as it is so small and higher than the brake pedal. I think i more suitable technique for the A3 would be as Prawn described.

im sure a3 and s3 have the same pedal set up. Give it ago, im size 10, youll figure ou what feels best for you, yeah you do sort of pivot and lift on the ball of your foot.

Works as long as your motor is non-DBW, heel-toeing in a DBW causes the throttle to totally cut out for a second or two (at least it does on mine!)

yeah the A3 isn't the best pedal setup for heel-toeing but its fairly easy if you use the technique the guys above have described.

The real skill is in knowing how much revs ur gonna have to hit to match the engine speed.

I'm pretty sure i don't have DBW hence i couldn't retrofit cruise control :( but i did hear that the throttle cut out in DBW only cuts in after 5 seconds of braking.. can't confirm it's true through.

mbs3 said:
I heal and toe on downsifts in my s3, althougth the pedal set up isnt as good as some cars. I swing the side of my foot and use the outside edge of my heal, ive found this suits me best.

Theres also no need to double de-clutch, just a blip of the throttle when in nuetral between the gear change with the clutch down is perfect. Modern cars have synchro boxes, so theres no advantage to double de-clutching, althougth its a good technique to know.

Are all S3's not DBW?

Im not sure to be honest mines AMK. All i know is i can heal and toe in mine, althougth its easier to rev mates in my mates r32

Mines an APY and its DBW, pretty much as soon as the brake is pressed when the throttle is on it cuts power