Another xenon problem!!!!!

S3 NIK

Reaction score
Turned the lights on tonight and nearside not working, turn off and back on again and it lights up :think:

Problem in the making i think to myself.....
Not having a clue how these headlights work is it as simple as changing a bulb?
Any help appreciated chaps.

Nik.

Xenons work on a very high voltage. Ballast boosts the standard voltage to get enough juice to kick-start the bulb. Once it's illuminated, it doesn't need as much juice.

Could be a loose joint in the wiring - I had this once, but it never happended again.

It sounds like you have a faulty transformer which powers up the bulb.To change the unit you have to buy a new headlamp unit£££££:sorry:

as said, the ballast is the box underneath each of the headlights. It works as described above.

ways of checking yourself are:

1. swap bulb from left to right and see if problem swaps too.
2. swap ballast from left to right..

if the problem remains, then theres a problem with the wiring. As far as i know, the only wiring in the actual headlight is for the adjusters. The ballasts and bulb should be relatively easily replaceable.

Thanks everybody :icon_thumright:
I have been out and about tonight and the lights have been on and off numerous times and the problem hasn't reoccured so fingers crossed.

Strangely enough, last week my drivers side light decided to point straight at the floor, turn off, back on again and hey presto light is correctly aligned.
I guess i have a gremlin in there at the moment!
Nik.

I had the same thing two weeks ago.

When I looked at the light, or to be blunt got close enough to smell it - there was obviously the smell of burning.

On closer inspection, the connector onto the back of the bulb was loose. It had been slipping off the metal contact and burning into the plastic.

The symptoms were exactly as you describe. A new bulb solved the problem.

T.

Happens to mine every now and again when it's cold outside, I think I recall around 3 times in the last 5 years of ownership, if it flicks back on when you flick the light switch off and back on, I really wouldn't worry about it bud.