Best place for service items?

Fat Tony

Reaction score
Hey all, my 2001 s3 has jus clocked over 100k:sorry: and is also telling me its time for a service, i really cant afford to take it anywhere and want to do it myself as im not too bad with a spanner (fitted an audi 16v engine to my 1.6 golf driver:readit: ) can anyone suggest wheres best to go for the parts needed like oils etc from the following items from the service FAQ on here, and how much roughly each item may be? If theres enough input on prices etc maybe this can even be a FAQ. many thanks for any help, James
Normal service
-----------------------

Engine oil dropped and replaced
Engine looked at for leaks and damage
Battery level checked
Antifreeze checked
Dust and pollen filter replaced
DTC's checked and cleared
Exhaust checked for leaks
Brake pads checked
Brake system checked for leaks and damage
Brake fluid checked
Engine, gearbox and CV boots checked
Oil level in gearbox checked
Swivel joint boots checked
Under body sealant checked
Tyre tread, wear pattern, and pressures checked
Track rod ends checked for play, and boots checked
Door check straps and lock cylinders lubricated
Sunroof guide rails cleaned and lubricated
Lights, indicators, hazards, dash lights and horn checked
Headlamp washers and settings checked
Headlight alignment checked
Service indicator reset

Additional service work every 20k miles
-------------------------------------------------------
Haldex Oil changed

Additional service work every 40k miles
--------------------------------------------------------
Air filter replaced and airbox cleaned
Hydraulic fluid checked
Spark plugs replaced
Haldex Oil filter changed

Additional service work every 24 months
---------------------------------------------------------
Brake fluid changed

any Audi Parts department, GSF Or Eurparts for filters and plugs for service parts

Halfords for oil if its on special or i use www.Opieoils.co.uk who will supply you with engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, coolant all for very competitive if not the cheapest prices.

Im NEVER gunna use euro car parts again, was disgusted with the service and their inablility to send the correct parts..... when u think u are saving money with the prices they offer and then end up payin so much more in phone bills and returned items which are still replaced with wrong ones after explaining exactly what i need to the useless fool on the phone who thinks he knows everything about every car and is a top mechanic because he works behind the counter of a parts dept:motz: grrrr, sorry rant over, i dont like ECP!

Are gsf items suitable and quality enough to use on a car i just spent nearly a years wages on?? VAG dealer parts are so expensive!

I have heard good things about opie:respekt: will visit my local shop

Bit of a poll, main dealer service items against the cheaper alternative (gsf etc) thanks:icon_thumright:

GSF service parts shouold be original equip items, Mann filters they sell are bteer than Audi ones IMO! They stopped doing quantam oil which was a steal compared to dealers, but they now do Total stuff that is equivalent.
Still have VAG coolant though.
Have you had a cambelt service on your car yet? If not, this would be a wise thing to do ASAP.

Fat Tony said:
Are gsf items suitable and quality enough to use on a car i just spent nearly a years wages on?? VAG dealer parts are so expensive!

Audi don't make any of these parts, they are just rebadged with the 4 rings and the price doubled for the privilege.
GSF supply the original manufacturers parts - Mann filters, Jurid pads, Brembo discs etc. Very good in my opinion & very knowledgeable. Web site is shyte though.

agree that gsf web site is v v poor. Just opened a store in huddersfield so that should save me a few miles to get bits.

Audi only charge about 40% over the real price so well worth it for peace of mind that you're being totally ripped off.
Case in point:
Rear Discs & pads for my TDi:
Audi price £102.23 incl VAT
GSF price £60.55 incl VAT
These are the same parts, just not in an Audi box.