coolant

mikerd4

Reaction score
Going to change my thermostat as its reading low and after some searching it neds to be changed.

I read on one thread that audi dont recommend normal anti freeze though? what doo they recommend instead?

No surprises here, their own make G12 I believe!

You can use your own choice of antifreeze, but you must not mix it with the audi stuff.

If you do it will turn to brown goo.

You have to completely flush the system first.

Audi stuff isn't that expensive.

You have to use the G12 they recommend as the seals in the system are design to work with the G12. If you use the older blue stuff you can degrade the seals and get a whole heap of problems

anyone able to tell me how to completely drain the system?

disconnect the bottom hose from the rad and let it **** out. i didnt bother with mine i just topped up with normal anti freeze and its been fine. All these main dealers just tell you to buy their own special stuff so that you buy it from them!

Ive read so many horror stories about not mixing diferent coolants together and I havent a clue as to what coolant is in the the car so I wanted to drain the system completely.

Also whats the best way to mix the water and coolant when adding fresh (water in first then coolant or mix then add?)

I pre mix mine before adding, but thats only so I can keep some extra for topping up with the correct mix.

You can add water first then coolant or vice versa, won't make any difference.

any idea how much coolant and water i need for the whole system?