Thermostat??

a3daveo

Reaction score
Hi

After reading posts about how long peoples car take to warm up I think I must have a problem somewhere. I drive for 11 mils doing mainly 70mph and it is so solw to warm up that it is nowhere close to 90 degrees at this point.

I also have a problem if my air con is on my car refuses to show a reading any higher than 70 degrees. I don't know if anyone ele experiences this and I am not sure if it would be a thermostat that needs replacing or possibly a temp sensor? What do you guys think?

Shes a bit of an old girl, 1.6 and has just celebrated her 10th birthday. But, like the girlfriend who is 26 years old and is about to celebrate her birthday is a pain in the ****, cost you a small fortune and loves to play up from time to time.

Cheers

Daveo

It does indeed sound like the thermostat is at fault here.

Basically your thermostat is stuck open. Under normal conditions, when the engine is cold, then the thermostat closes so that the water is not circulated around the full cooling system. This makes the engine warm quicker and once it reaches a certain temperature then the thermostat opens and allows the water to go through the radiator to maintain a constant temperature. As your thermostat is stuck open the water is going through the radiator even when the engine is cold. Basically it is cooling cold water. Therefore it will take a age to get to normal operating temperature.

The part is cheap and fitting is easyish (at least it is on the 1.8T not sure about the 1.6). If you decide to do it yourself then don't forget to get the proper G12(?) coolant and you will need to top up the cooling system when your done and Audi's don't use the normal antifreeze.