2001 S3 Induction Kit

S3-Chris

If its not broke....break it!!
Reaction score
i have a 2001 s3, remapped, and has recirculating forge dump valve, i have just purchased a BMC CDA AIR FILTER, i havent fitted this yet, i just wanted to see if any of you had any concerns or am i gonna create myself problems with doing this?

thanks

There has been loads of debate about aftermarket filters and induction kits.
Many claim that the oil used in the filters can contaminate and damage the air flow meter, other say that the MAF is a weak component and the failure are not down to the filters.

It is fairly well agreed that the filters/induction kit will not provide any meaningful improvement in terms of performance and may in fact decrease performance due to the car breathing in hot air. Obviously you can get around this by fitting a Cold Air Intake.

Personally I wouldn't risk the MAF for the sake of no performance gain.

Of course others will disagree.....

i'm running the exact same setup as you have described with no problems. you wont see any performance gains with the BMC just sounds better :)

im new to all this - what is a MAF?
S3Tom - are you getting a loud dumping noise, with no side affects to reliabilty etc???

MAF is the Mass Air Flow meter. Basically monitor the amount of air entering the engine. They are quite prone to failing and cause poor running. The damage is often attributed to oil from after maker filter contaminating the sensor.

I have mixed feelings on induction kits and safety of engines, when working at VW most of the MAF sensor failures on a regular basis were on cars with induction "kits" fitted

Ive personally grown up with superchargers where higher flow filterers arent reccomended as they can allow more dirt/dust etc thru the filter and straight into the charger which has a fine oil mist, resulting in a form of grinding paste being created and knackering the charger (This isnt really the same for turbos but still plays on my mind slighty)

You shouldn't have any oily MAF issues with the BMC. They're not overly oiled like some.

When you fit it, make sure you remove the wing snorkle and run the inlet pipe down the wing beside the battery.

S3-Chris said:
im new to all this - what is a MAF?
S3Tom - are you getting a loud dumping noise, with no side affects to reliabilty etc???

not overly loud but more noticeable than standard. No running problems what so ever. Had it on for nearly a year now.