HID Kits

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Im just about to order a set but there's thousands to choose from!

Going either 6000k or 8000k

Mate of mine got a set from HK on ebay had them in his astra coupe for over a year now and they're still going strong?

Just wondered if they're was a recommended kit a few of you have used?
The uk based kits seem to go for around 100-200 GBP. When there's no difference to the HK 50GBP kits.

Cheers

I think you'd be a fool to get a 8000K kit. Do you actually want to see anything?

Then you'll need from 4300K to 6000K max.

I have a JBS supplied 6000K kit and its perfect.

Co-incidentally, HID bulbs are meant to last the lifetime of the car.

Oh ok then just a mate of mine had 8000k in a GT TDI and they looked pretty good. I do have projector lights so they might come out bluer in mine?

How much are JBS charging? Just when you see the difference in HK to UK Prices its quite a bit different.

Cheers

J

8000K are very blue.

HIDkelvin.jpg

The higher you go up, the less visible light it produces.

Yeah 8000k is very blue/purple

The kits are all pretty much the exact same, i'd get a HK one.

I got a 6000K kit second hand off one of the members on here for £50 its perfect,
RichA3turbo @ JBR does a very good kit for about £150 i think. thats what he has fitted to his A3.

Ok 6000k it is then after seeing how blue the 8000k comes out!

I'll order a set from HK me thinks! Not being horrible but for 150 you could get 3 kits for that sort of price!

Cheers

The ballasts regularly fail on the Hong Kong Phooey kits. Also try and find a 5000k kit if you can, the best colour temp IMO. 6000k is pleasant enough but still has a hint of blue, and 8000k is for the Jap Crew as far as I'm concerned.

are these kits plug and play? or is there some fiddly wiring to be done?

Do people still have the issue with the DIS showing a blown bulb because they draw so much less power?

I would be very tempted to get a set if they are any good!

Almost complete plug and play. You do need to make a hole in your rear headlight covers for the HID wiring to go through but they provide a rubber bung.

No issues with DIS or anything else.

If the HK kits really are only 50GBP then it'd be OK to just buy a new one if the ballast failed.

The kits are plug and play, but like Dave mentioned you will have to drill a hole through the back of the dust cover. The sellers usually have a year warranty on the ballasts and bulbs though so after a bit of hassling them they usually send you a new ballast or bulb.