S3 - failed MOT on track rod end

bpascua

Reaction score
Hello All,

My 2002 S3 has failed it's MOT on the Near side track rod end. The MOT center can source one today for £26 and fit it for £45. Does this sounds reasonable or am I being robbed? I dont suppose that will be an Audi part either...

Thanks for any replies...

Cheers

Brian

It's not a terrible price - fitting will only take them half hour at most i'd say so labouor a little high

If the £45 includes wheel alignment/tracking then not a bad price, if not then a bit expensive

Genuine or pattern part?

I have pattern ends. Mechanically fine, but they look awful as the outside has rusted in no time. Not a problem if you aren't worried about that sort of thing.

Should I insist the retrack the car then? - just in case they forget or dont htink its needed....

Cheers

Brian

the car definately needs the tracking done - just check they've included for it and wont charge extra for this

this is disappointing. I spoke to the garage and they said the cost doesnt include the tracking, so now I'm thinking why didnt they advise the car would need tracking? probably because they are monkeys.

Next they say tracking is a further £23. I argued and they say that tracking would normally be £45. and an hours labour!

So I'll end up with a bill for £100 to replace a trackrod end - I suppose all I can hope is that they at least fit it and track the car properly....

Cheers for the replys

Brian

Fit it yourselfe - it will take 30 minutes uncluding taking your wheels off and then back on.

had the same thing on mine so though 'i can do that' really wish i hadnt... they were rusted so solid i had to get a friend round with welding kit to heat them up enough to remove. i do drive through france and mountain roads so guess i have seen my fair share of road salt but even so..

having a go myself left me off the road for 3 days and was really not worth saving the money

Sometimes can be a really easy job, other times you need to crack the old blow torch out.

Go through plenty of track rod ends on my redtop corsa

all done now. I got a bill for £116 for the track rod end and allignment and a further £51 for the MOT. The upside is that I had a suspension creak when I went over speed bumps at low speed that I had been convinced was the ARB or the ARB bushes - it was the track rod end!!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Brian