EM TuningSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

iPod's and Headunits

I've just got my S3 2 hours ago and I'm ready to start harrassing you all with questions

The car has the Bose concert sound system fitted which is great.... the problem is in my last car I'd fitted the Alpine X001 iPod head unit so I could play all my music from the iPod. I've still got the head unit but I don't really want to mess up the looks of the dash. Can someone with experience please advise me what the difference in sound quality would be if I replaced the Headunit with the Alpine one as opposed to just buying a radio tuner for the iPod.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

dension

If your looking to incorporate an ipod to your factory head unit have a look at the Dension ice link.
    i've just fitted one to my car and its a really good bit of kit.

Check out the I.C.E section of the forum for loads of information.

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    Just leave the concert one. and as frenchman stated, buy the Dension link. It works great and no loss in sound quality. Very easy to wire a nd you can leave the opid in the glovebox all the time. and it recharges by itself

Brum brum

Status
    Another vote for Dension. I picked mine up for £40 off eBay. Turns your iPod into a virtual CD changer and easy peasy to fit.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Aky
    Aky

Status
    I've got Dension with a cradle that sits on the dash. If you do a search you should find some pics.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok cheers, do they work with the iPod Touch?

Brum brum

Status
    I can't see why not assuming the Touch has the same plug on it as all the other iPods. Try www.dension.com
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Neutral

Status
    I fitted an after market JVC head unit to my S3. Bought all the correct wiring, but sounded really bad with the standard bose speaker set up. I went back to the standard concert head unit it was 10 times better! No more hissing! In my opinion to use an after market headunit, you need to rip all the bose stuff out and start from scratch, as it just doesnt work correctly with any thing other than the concert head unit.
    r32 bilstien shocks, H+R springs, custom code map........ and buel xb9 for proper petrol fun!

Oz
    Fair Dinkum Leg End

Status
    I have a X001 in my S3 and it sounds great, no different to the standard "Concert" at all.

I feel (at the moment) it's the best iPod option out there, very easy to use and a quick interface, shows ID3 tags and album art.

Only down side is the "infill's" to make up for the oversize "Concert" unit and the additional 45 for the harness/aerial power adapter, plus it would have been nice if Alpine had built in Blue Tooth.
    ...could you describe the ruckus sir?

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/584769.htm