iPod's and Headunits

jo3y

Reaction score
I've just got my S3 2 hours ago and I'm ready to start harrassing you all with questions :)

The car has the Bose concert sound system fitted which is great.... the problem is in my last car I'd fitted the Alpine X001 iPod head unit so I could play all my music from the iPod. I've still got the head unit but I don't really want to mess up the looks of the dash. Can someone with experience please advise me what the difference in sound quality would be if I replaced the Headunit with the Alpine one as opposed to just buying a radio tuner for the iPod.

Cheers

If your looking to incorporate an ipod to your factory head unit have a look at the Dension ice link.
i've just fitted one to my car and its a really good bit of kit.

Check out the I.C.E section of the forum for loads of information.

Just leave the concert one. and as frenchman stated, buy the Dension link. It works great and no loss in sound quality. Very easy to wire a nd you can leave the opid in the glovebox all the time. and it recharges by itself :)

Another vote for Dension. I picked mine up for £40 off eBay. Turns your iPod into a virtual CD changer and easy peasy to fit.

I've got Dension with a cradle that sits on the dash. If you do a search you should find some pics.

Ok cheers, do they work with the iPod Touch?

I fitted an after market JVC head unit to my S3. Bought all the correct wiring, but sounded really bad with the standard bose speaker set up. I went back to the standard concert head unit it was 10 times better! No more hissing! In my opinion to use an after market headunit, you need to rip all the bose stuff out and start from scratch, as it just doesnt work correctly with any thing other than the concert head unit.

I have a X001 in my S3 and it sounds great, no different to the standard "Concert" at all.

I feel (at the moment) it's the best iPod option out there, very easy to use and a quick interface, shows ID3 tags and album art.

Only down side is the "infill's" to make up for the oversize "Concert" unit and the additional £45 for the harness/aerial power adapter, plus it would have been nice if Alpine had built in Blue Tooth.