Looknig to buy this S3... can you please give me some advice (urgent)

jo3y

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to take a look an S3 later on today. It's the old demo car from regal motorsport: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=275717

I was wondering if anyone on here can give me some information and advice? Does the car have a history here and is there anything I should look out for?

Any quick advice would be much appreciated as I'm off to take a look in 30 minutes and it's a 100 mile drive in rush hour!

I'm lookng to swap it with my VXT :http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=277695

Cheers

Read the S3 buyers advice mate in the stickys very helpfull.

Must saythough wont be half as fun to drive as your VX but im guessing you want the S3 for extra space?

It's got a huge spec though as its from Regal should be top quality read through the stickys though.

Jason

Well he was on here the other day complaining about it!! Said the gearing was rubbish and it was not quick enough! ! !

I'm sure I saw this car at Audi Driver International event at Castle Combe this year. Caught my eye because of the front bumper.

Looked OK, but if its this well specced it may well have been driven hard / had a hard life, so check all the usual known issue points. Don't fancy your chances in this dark weather so maybe go and see it again in daylight if you're interested

if your spending that much money why dont you buy Chris S3 on here ?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46298

Here's the thread foprm a few weeks back.

Looks like they spent a lot on the motor internals, but from his description on cliosport, it seems like it may have the standard intercoolers (plural)..? Would think with 2 bar boost it would need a FMIC........? Maybe its a typo.

Interesting spec anyway. Seems like it may have more potential than regal managed to realise.

rickparmar said:
if your spending that much money why dont you buy Chris S3 on here ?

Thanks for the quick responses everyone and thanks for the heads up about his gearing post!

Can you point me towards this Chris S3 please? I've had a quick look in the classifieds but can't find it. Cheers

looks like a nice but i would imagine its gonna cost you a fortune to keep on the road, plus its been work on by Regal which from what i ve read havent the best reputation. I would however recommend CHRIS S3's car its a proper job !

mattyboy199 said:
looks like a nice but i would imagine its gonna cost you a fortune to keep on the road, plus its been work on by Regal which from what i ve read havent the best reputation. I would however recommend CHRIS S3's car its a proper job !

Can anyone link me to Chris S3's car please? I have looked through the classifieds for posts by a Chris but can't find anything.... :3sadwalk:

jo3y said:
Can anyone link me to Chris S3's car please? I have looked through the classifieds for posts by a Chris but can't find anything.... :3sadwalk:

I remember him mentioning it's not been listed in the classifieds yet, as he has sent the car to Star performance to get it checked over and serviced for the potential new owner. Maybe worth giving him a PM to see if it's actually still available mate, and it's a nice machine I tell you! :icon_thumright:

it looks like it has gone missing of the forum, send him a PM or am sure he will see this thread and mention something

Isnt it a front bumper off the new shape A3??

i dont think so i know its meant to look like it but the fittings are different on an 8l bumper to a 8p bumper if i remember right

Well Regal are good with the Vaux tuning, dunno bout thier VAG stuff (Know thier rolling road has always been very optimistic tho) As its thier demo it will have been driven fast, should see some of the C20LETs theyve done (and then thrashed the tits off)

Seems to have been for sale for ages, pretty sure it was sold and its up for sale again rapidly so would be careful (mind you the S3 I bought seems to have been slagged off and tainted as a 'lemon' because it was for sale for a while, Ive had no worries at all, funny old things!)

Shape of the front bumper doesnt do anything for the whole shape of the car

A lot of people hate the front bumper - I actually really like it now I've seen it in the flesh. The car was great, mint condition, I followed the sticky as suggested but it could only help me so much with a car this modded. I looked at it under some bright lights then checked it over in a petrol station. Totally different driving experience to the VXT -no shocker there but it does feel like I'm driving a people carrier in comparison! It grips nicely through the corners though and feels a lot less likely to rip your head off giving me a lot more confidence. The vibrations in the cabin are quite noticable compared to a normal S3 but again I would expect that from a car like this.

My only complaints are, and they're proably just because I'm used to the VXT (which I have far more complaints about!) are:
- The trottle feels a little light - probably just in comparison to the VXT
- Same as above for steering but the VXT had no power steering
- The lump under the clutch.... wtf is that all about?
- Difficult to accelerate smoothly when the turbo keeps coming onto boost, but I'm sure I would get used to that.

Anyway... as you may have guessed I've already swapped. The VXT was killing me in the daily commute and this will be a nice, comfortable, warm, rattle free change (with a slight improvement to my odds of survival should I ever be in a crash!) The Cambelt needed sorting on the VX as well, the new owner is aware so we ended up forgoing the 250 that was coming my way and just did a straight swap. I averaged 29mpg on the drive back, which is about the same as the VX and I was having a play so should manage 30+ on a normal drive. Very impressed.... now just to see how reliable it is which has always been my main worry.

Cheers for the adivce and quick responses, my brother was relaying them to me whilst I was stuck in traffic driving down - I think I left it a bit close to the viewing before posting on here! But I'll not doubt be hanging around here quite a bit now :)

Thanks again

grathies said:
Well Regal are good with the Vaux tuning, dunno bout thier VAG stuff (Know thier rolling road has always been very optimistic tho) As its thier demo it will have been driven fast, should see some of the C20LETs theyve done (and then thrashed the tits off)

Seems to have been for sale for ages, pretty sure it was sold and its up for sale again rapidly so would be careful (mind you the S3 I bought seems to have been slagged off and tainted as a 'lemon' because it was for sale for a while, Ive had no worries at all, funny old things!)

Shape of the front bumper doesnt do anything for the whole shape of the car

It was bought by the guy off cliosport.... he's struggling to find a car he likes - bought the S3 and wasn't happy enough with the performance and said the car didn't suit him so sold it on quite quickly. I think he's looking for a stop gap car while he waits for his Evo X

If you flick through the detailing to page 2, and scroll down to `polished bliss,an Audi S3 & 5 coats of vintage`...this is ChriS3 car, and what a car it is, if its still up for grabs then I would much rather this one!!!:hubbahubba:

The front bumper is :no:

Regal are great with VW stuff though, they take part in the VW Cup with a Mk5 Gti, infact I think they won it this year and are moving on to Porsche.

Like I said, not to everyones taste but it looks better in the flesh.... I still haven't made my mind up but the original is on it's way to me though.

Is vibration in the cabin normal on a car this modified? It's ok tick over at 900rpm, nothing bone breaking... but goes if I hold the revs at 950 or above.

jo3y said:
Like I said, not to everyones taste but it looks better in the flesh.... I still haven't made my mind up but the original is on it's way to me though.

Is vibration in the cabin normal on a car this modified? It's ok tick over at 900rpm, nothing bone breaking... but goes if I hold the revs at 950 or above.

Probably has an uprated dogbone mount to help transmit all the power, wouldn't suprise me if it has a VFengineering dogbone mount of some sort, which the vibration in the cabin as a tradeoff for no engine movement between gearchanges.

jojo said:
Probably has an uprated dogbone mount to help transmit all the power, wouldn't suprise me if it has a VFengineering dogbone mount of some sort, which the vibration in the cabin as a tradeoff for no engine movement between gearchanges.

Spot on cheers mate, it has got the VF engine mounts....