Fuel pressure - S3

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Arvo, a couple of times when I have gone to fill up, there seems to be a lot of pressure coming out of the fuel tank. As a result I have to keep the cap on and unscrew it slowly to let the air out; if I take it off straight away petrol spews out. This lasts for a good 30 seconds.

I smell petrol every now and again from the front. I'm thinking I may have to get the fuel filter changed as the build up may be from here.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Yeah not brilliant, going to get the filter replaced as it has done 149k worth of fuel! Hopefully that should fix it.

jesters3 said:
Yeah not brilliant, going to get the filter replaced as it has done 149k worth of fuel! Hopefully that should fix it.

do it yourself, it takes like 5 minutes?

Will do, Getting the filter tomorrow from VAGPARTS and doing it at the weekend, seems straightforward enough, just have to remember to depressurize the system before I crack on!

even if it doesn't it's worth changing anyway for the sake of a few £ and the fact that about a million litres of fuel have passed through it.........

judging from there being no more posts i take it replacing the fuel filter solved the problem? I know it was about 2 years ago but im just asking because i have the same problem!

No i'm afraid not.

The issue came down to a fubar gravity valve (part 14)

201070.png

This meant dropping the fuel tank to get to the part and then to replace. The part is about £5 but takes 3-4 hours to sort out.

I had to get it done at a Stealers and it cost me £500ish all in. If you get this done at an indie it should be half the price.