Turn key .... nothing

LaSarthe&Back

Reaction score
Morning all,

Got in the car this morning, dipped clutch as usual, starter engaged, and it just cut out. Engine didn't get as far as turning over. Tried again . . same. Open bonnet to look for any signs of trouble of which there were none. Tried it again from outside the car, and if starts up like normal.

Tried it again once at work with clutch in, and it was fine.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Starter is less the 6 months old, recently serviced and MOT'd on monday!! Car is A3 1.8T AGU.

Any help/ideas gratefully received.

Cheers
Andy

It does sound an awful lot like a starter motor problem, perhaps the solenoid got stuck, it may not happen again just keep an eye on it.

Like rodenal said, possibly just the gears sticking, if it attempted to start though could be fuel pump on the way out? They are tempermental when they are going so keep an eye out.

could it have been the immobiliser kicking in?, they usually allow you to start the car for a moment before the engine dies.

i've had it a couple of times where the coil hasn't read the transponder chip in the key, usually starts after removeing the key and having another go, if it happpens again check the dash for the flashing key symbol

I had a similar problem with my S3, turned out to be the immobiliser.