Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

DIY diagnostics software

Hey all, im looking into getting some software for my 2001 S3, my sister also has an a3 so i was thinking it might be useful for resetting service times, clearing faults etc if i start to play with my engine a bit. Can anyone recomend software to use? VAG com etc? and will a 30 pound usb wire from ebay work with it and a laptop?
    Thanks, james

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

6th Gear

Status
    If you look hard enough you can find those cables for about 15-20 quid. They will work fine but you might have trouble accessing certain controllers.

In my experience it's the less crucial controllers i.e lights/radio that tend not to work, so still a good investment if all you're looking to do is read/clear codes

Vag com is the best software, the free version will let you read the codes and clear them(i think) but not make any changes to the controllers.

The not so free(or still very free depending how you feel about hacks etc) version is a very useful tool if you like changing things like central locking settings or performing resets on various components, abs, throttle body etc.
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

6th Gear

Status
    Check out the RossTech/Vag.com forum; it will have all the pros and cons of the cheapo not worth it but looks like the real thing OBD cables. Also with the $$$ rate as it is the current price for the cable and software is a steal.
    Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks, will have a look at ross tech

Whats an rs3 by the way jesters3?????

6th Gear

Status
    RS3 is a phantom uber-hot hatch variant of the S3. Rumours have floated about that it may be heading for production suggested specs are new floorplan from the forthcoming TT-RS, 3.6 'R36' turbo engine, magnetic damping as in the R8 and all as a quattro sportback.

Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"

Reverse Gear

Status