Suspension too hard

DuncS3

Reaction score
I have Koni shocks and H&R springs fitted to my S3 and basically I find them far too hard for everyday use. I am very happy with the ride height and the handling, its just that if you hit a drain or pot hole the car feels like its sustaining damage!

I have driven two other S3s, one with KW Variant 2 coilovers and the other with H&R coilovers, both of which are far softer than my car.

I was wondering if I would be okay looking into changing the springs only, or perhaps its the dampers that are the problem. When I bought them I was told that Coilovers are more harsh than the setup I have, but that doesn't appear to be the case to me.

Anypne running the same setup as me with any comments?

Dunc

It sounds like the dampers are a bit too stiff for your taste...
I also have the H&R springs but with Bilstein dampers and the ride is better than standard!
You do still get a thump as you hit a pothole, but it's not overly crashy.
I'd recommend them...see if you can find someone local with the H&R + Brlstein set up and compare.

I've not tried coilovers on the S3...but past experience of many types on other cars puts me off...too niosy, too stiff etc.
The Koni coilovers on my Golf are awful...superb handling I agree but just too bloodt still for everyday driving.

new dampers is gonna be pricey!

I am going to get the car on a ramp and see what the rear dampers are set to. Will let you know how I get on.

Dunc