AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    JLA
    Neutral

Status

Headlight shadow

I just fitted a new set of headlights with angel eyes, I've had them aligned by a garage but last night while out driving I found them to be crap on low beam. There seems to be a big V shaped shadow along the top edge of the light pattern so the light just stops, and its right where you look too. Does anyone else have the same problem with their lights and is there a way round it?

These are the lights I have...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ype=osi_widget

2. # ADS
    ADS

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Thats how the light pattern should be as not to dazzle oncoming drivers.

JLA
    Neutral

Status
    Ok thanks, I have another question then.

Which setting should the headlight adjuster be on when having the alignment done. I put mine on the one that points the highest, should it have been the one that points the lowest??

6th Gear

Status
    It should have been on the highest point.

The headlight adjuster is there to point the beam downwards if there is alot of weight in the back of the car making the headlights point further up and therefor dazzling people
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

JLA
    Neutral

Status
    I thought that was the case. I might go and get the alignment checked then because there are times when I can't see a thing because there is no light right where I need to look.

Also, can anyone recomend some brighter bulbs??

6th Gear

Status
    To be honest with you, i had lights similar to these for about a month and they were they exact same.

Mine were definately adjusted correctly too, possibly try some of the phillips extra strong halogens(cannot remember what they're called but google should help, roughly £20 a set) or possibly an hid kit, but make especially sure they're adjusted correctly if you fit these.

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Hello mate ive had these lights nearly a year now, ive been using the bulbs that came with it since new dotn seem too bad to be honest?

Im getting a 8000k H1 Hid kit at then end of the month so things will be ALOT brighter then id recommend that.

You can pick them up for about 40GBP delivered nowadays

Jason
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

JLA
    Neutral

Status
    40 for a HID kit?!! seems a bit cheap. It had a warning not to use hids with these lamps

snowed under

Status

hids

Quote Originally Posted by JLA
    40 for a HID kit?!! seems a bit cheap. It had a warning not to use hids with these lamps
    Yes me too, phoned a guy ref these lights with Hids he told me they would melt nice.

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    HIDs gave off less heat than standard lamps I thought?

8000K HID's will give you hardly any light, and they'll look purple.

6000K is way better.
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

JLA
    Neutral

Status
    Can anyone confirm this about the heat??

6th Gear

Status
    I'm not so sure about the heat thing, they draw less voltage - but i thought in order to generate more light they had to run hotter?

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    No, they use a different technology, the power they use is only 35 watts, as opposed to the 55w of halogens.

However, they use 10K volts or something, so voltage is higher to ignite the gas.

Not sure on the heat, but it could be much hotter or much colder given th technology is different.

Light output should also be measured in Lumens, and that is in no way connected to heat.

6th Gear

Status
    But isn't that related to heat exchange of the bulbs - i.e how much heat escapes etc rather than the actual temperature inside?

Or am i talking rubbish as per usual
    Last edited by rodenal; 21st November 2007 at 17:29.

JLA
    Neutral

Status
    Logic would sugest that if something burns brighter it will be hotter, and I recon if something as thin as a bulb element has 10,000 volts going thru it, its going to get pretty hot.

Neutral

Status
    You're getting your concepts mixed up, HID bulbs don't have a filament to heat up. They still generate heat but not in the same way as a traditional light bulb, which get hot because they are so inefficient.

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Yup exactly. I'm pretty sure HID's dont get as hot as conventional bulbs as the light from the HID is created via an electrical arc and gas, not via an element.

The lamp unit instructions probably say don't use for HID as they arent type approved and the pattern would spray everywhere.