Do new discs always mean new pads?

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hi,

Currently my pads are due for replacment and am considering some DS2500 pad's. However, I'm trying to save a few pennies as I do not want to replace the standard discs until I have a few more pennies.

So, can I replace just the pads now and then just the discs a little later? Or, would I have to fit another set of pads when I fit the new (grooved) discs?

Cheers,

ICE

you will have to fit new pads onto new discs mate as the pads will wear into the old disc shape and wont contact the new disc shape properly so just wait, in the motor trade we never put an old set of pads on new discs it's a waste of time. hope this hepls. cheers mark

You can replace discs or pads independantly as long as they are within wear limits and you change both sides.

True, they will need to bed in a little, so be careful at first, but it doesn't take long.

I agree with MarkyR, new disks should be fitted along with new pads, there's nothing wrong with using a set of old pads on new disks, but it's more a case of whilst everythings off, you might aswell change it! Same as changing the clutch if gear box is coming off, or getting a new cambelt if you are getting waterpump changed, it's more cost effective in the long run...

jojo said:
I agree with MarkyR, new disks should be fitted along with new pads, there's nothing wrong with using a set of old pads on new disks, but it's more a case of whilst everythings off, you might aswell change it! Same as changing the clutch if gear box is coming off, or getting a new cambelt if you are getting waterpump changed, it's more cost effective in the long run...

I'm disagreeing with you there JoJo. Discs (bar brembo) are designed to last in excess of 60k miles. As long as you haven't let the pads get so low that they are griding against the discs then there is no reason for replacement. Yes a good idea whilst everything is off but if they aren't broken don't fix them.

As long as there is plenty of life left in the pads(waste of time otherwise) you can use them with new discs,but they will take a little longer to match your new discs.
Just need to take your time until all the little rust lines have gone from the new disc which wont take long.

Aky said:
I'm disagreeing with you there JoJo. Discs (bar brembo) are designed to last in excess of 60k miles. As long as you haven't let the pads get so low that they are griding against the discs then there is no reason for replacement. Yes a good idea whilst everything is off but if they aren't broken don't fix them.

OK, just re-read my reply, it does sound a bit OTT, what I mean is when fitting new disks, it's recommended that you fit new pads, of course you can fit new pads with used disks, we've been doing that for years! I wouldn't recommend using a used or old pair of brakepads for a set of new disks though... can we agree on that? :friends:

I wouldnt really reccomend it either - why not just buy some cheap standard pads for now, then get the new discs and pads together?

jojo said:
OK, just re-read my reply, it does sound a bit OTT, what I mean is when fitting new disks, it's recommended that you fit new pads, of course you can fit new pads with used disks, we've been doing that for years! I wouldn't recommend using a used or old pair of brakepads for a set of new disks though... can we agree on that? :friends:

:icon_thumright:

rodenal said:
I wouldnt really reccomend it either - why not just buy some cheap standard pads for now, then get the new discs and pads together?

I think I may just get Mintex Xtreme's (and possibly change the brake fluid) for now, then like you say, change the pads and discs together next time round (should I not be happy with the Mintex's and standard discs).

Thanks all,

ICE