Is this a factory 8l sat nav option?

rub a dub

Reaction score
290341-6.jpg

Looks rather special compaerd to the ones I have seen on an 8l, more like the ones on an 8p!
Was it an option, or aftermarket?

Would it be possible to fit one of these into an 8l s3 without satnav?
Does it make a difference which headunit came as standard> As i notice some were din, and some were double din, so can it be put in single din also?

Sorry for all the questions :)

The RNS-E sat nav in the picture wasn't an option on the 8L, the RNS-D was. You can fit it to a single DIN but is a lot more involved. You will need to change the radio cage (£~60) and trim the climate or find a double DIN climate.

Also the bluetooth add on is well worth the money and hides nicely behind the glovebox you just need to cut a clip and a cable tie.

You will notice that in that picture the surrounding trim colour matches the unit - The later 225 models went from piano black and black to a lighter dark grey.

IMO, the dark grey RNS-E looks naff in the earlier models...

Is it me or does the 'gap' between the climate contral and the bottom of centre console not both anyone else. I would put the sat nav in there to complete the console. Has anyone ever done this. It just looks incomplete to me?

Looks fine to me, if you put the sat nav at the bottom and try and put the climate controls at the top you would have massive gaps either side of the climate, the console gets wider at the top.

The gap below the ashtray...I like a centre console to meet the ground. It just feels unfinshed!! The new Golf has the same problem IMO

Now does that steering wheel look chunkier than a stock one, ?? Very R32 style with the 10/2 oclock bulbous bit and what looks like some bulbous biuts down at 4/8 oclock?

is it maybe jsut the angle?

My wheel has those same bits on it, without the S3 logo at the bottom