S3 creaking suspension over speed bumps

bpascua

Reaction score
Hello All.

My 2002 S3 has the habit of creaking as I drive over speed ramps (if I drive slowly) I'd say it's coming from the front and doing a search on this list it sounds like it might be an anti roll bar. So my quesitions are as follows....

1. I've read you can spray the ARB to see if this is causing the creak, can someone give some instructions on where to find it and what it looks like.

2. if this is the issue how much can I get another one fitted for?

Thanks

Brian

oil is a good test but the bar is sleeved together an d is proibly knacked now!

BUT be careful make sure it is the front, if its the rear it could be the rear arm bushes seizing up,the next thing will be rear arm failure and possible instant death!

prob the bushes, their cheap but a ******* to do, even then u may get a creak...ive just come to live with the creak, tho recently i plastered them with spray grease and they have quietened down COSIDERABLY, u can see em if u full lock the wheels, however if u can whip the wheels off will see em, they are attached to a tube like bar running across the car, hard to explain, rubbers are pretty small

I actually have the same problem with my s3. I'm going to be taking a look at it this weekend, i'll give the bushes a good coating in grease, and spray the anti roll bar. The cold is probably starting to make the noise sound worse now as the rubber will be harder in the colder weather...

Good luck with yours, i'll let you know how I get on at the weekend!!

dont use oil based lubricant like wd40 this will knacker the rubber in the long run, good spray grease will do job

same thing with mine.
Qst replaced the bushes & the bar problem solved

brake fluid works well on bushes.

but back to the ARB the sleves nearly always crack on the ARB. If you havn`t read before the std S3 ARB is sleved up to a thicker size for the ARB bush. The R32 one are thicker and hence no sleve. This is the main reason for Fitting R32 ones to my S3.

Some ppl like em some ppl dont. I think the R32 one are ok..

Just used the wonders of spray grease on my suspension, and fingers crossed it has sorted the creaking noise I was experiencing. I've taken the car out for a test drive and couldn't hear any creaking, I'm hoping this has solved the problem, Go out and get the miracle that is spray grease!! only cost £5 - a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the bushes!! :laugh:

well as an aside my car failed its MOT last week on the drivers side track rod end (too much play) after this was replaced my creak has gone, so be ware this creak may be worn track rods as well as the ARB bushes.

Cheers

Brian

fingermouse said:
brake fluid works well on bushes.

QUOTE]

I won;t be spaying a known corrosive substance and irritant around the outside of my car.
Apart from it's ability to strip paint, it is not something I really want to rubbing all over me every time I get under the car to change/fix something

Use a silicone grease - abotu £4 from halfords.

Changing the front ARB's is nto very difficult, bust as many people have said the sleeves on the ARB itself split & crack so while new bushes might quietent things down, it might not cure the problem entirely.