Speed Camera

cybrey

Reaction score
Just got flashed by one.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Luckily though it was a GATSO and I was travelling towards it. I didn't think you could get prosecuted with one of these .. but apparently there are now forward facing GATSO. I said luckily though as there were no white distance markings on my side.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I'm a little on the relieved side...

Dont think your so lucky mate, could well have been a truvelo camera , they flash you from the front , and Gatsos DO NOT have to have lines on the road in order to prosecute you. That is an ol wives tale im afraid . Work in the legal dept for the AA so i should know ! lol !

ok , its radar that determines the speed on a gatso , that triggers the flash , the only reason that lines are SOMETIMES on the roads is that it makes it easier to determine which car is travelling quicker if the pics are taken on a dual carrigeway. It costs so much to upkeep a speed camera , would there eb any point in having them there if the evidence could not be used in court. And truvleos do flash , however they flash red instead of white. Sorry mate but this is what i do for a living and i assure you that i am corect.

http://briskoda.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-662

A huge discussion, which covers all of what I've said. I suppose only time will tell really. ( ie 14 days, give or take a week as its a loan car).

[ QUOTE ]

I was flashed from the front by a speed camera, can I be prosecuted. In the UK two main types of speed camera exist - they look very similar but work in different ways. The most common speed cameras are the grey boxes on poles that are Gatso's. These use radar to measure a vehicles speed and then take 2 pictures half a second apart of any vehicle that passes above the set limit. Whilst these can be set to fire at the front of vehicles, it is extremely rare for them to be used like this. If a Gatso is on the other side of the road and facing you, they can go off in error and flash. If they do it is not likely to result in you being sent a NiP - in fact we have never heard of a case where the evidence (photo) from a Gatso on the other side of the road has been used to prosecute. The other much less common grey box camera is a Truvelo and this will be set to fire at the front of a vehicle. These use loops in the road to measure your speed (so radar detectors wont detect them) and they will flash in your face. I hear from drivers who have been flashed by these at night and temporarily blinded by the flash. Whilst this does not seem a safe approach, they are certified by the Govt to be used like this. So if you have been flashed from the front by a camera, unless its a Truvelo you are very unlikely to hear any more of it. To help you identify Gatso vs Truvelo - pictures of both are below

[/ QUOTE ]
Taken from http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/FAQ/FAQ.htm

So 'if' I get prosecuted I'll be exceptionally unlucky..

I got flashed by a GATSO I was driving towards once in Bournemouth. It was on a route I took quite regularly and almost always drove too fast past it. That was the ony time it flashed me and I never heard anything of it.

I've seen forward-facing cameras before on the A43 near Silverstone and in Westoning and it definitely wasn't one of those.

Truvelos are blue, gatsos are grey (generally), and the housing on the truvelo is alot smaller that the gatso

Truvelo:
pic_main.jpg

Gatso:
Gatso.jpg

Rich

In my experience Truvelos are more cunningly placed to catch you out, e.g. on the A43 you come over the crest of a hill and suddenly its there in front of you.

Damn sneaky I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

If it was definately a Gatso, it's still got to flash twice in order to "do" you.
Only 10% of Gatso's actually work, the others will flash once as a warning.

[ QUOTE ]
MingBlueMagic said:
In my experience Truvelos are more cunningly placed to catch you out, e.g. on the A43 you come over the crest of a hill and suddenly its there in front of you.

Damn sneaky I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that one is a B1TCH!!! Went over there at about 90od an had to slam the brakes on!

Rich

****** hell the amount of times i must have gone past Truvelo cameras thinking they were some sort of metering or surveillance. I must have been so lucky, this thread is the first time i've become aware of the non-flash Truvelo. I've seen them before, usually when i'm going to fast to do anything about it... I'm sure there are some on the A14 facing towards you?

There are four truvelos between huntingdon and Cambridge ( 2 on each side). I live near the area.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And yes they don't flash.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This doesn't include 5/6 gatsos which are also on the same stretch of road ( its only 10 miles long ***). Horrible road .. should be torn up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ( Don't like the A14, its the bane of my life having to use it everyday).

Truvelos do flash , but only in low light conditions. However they flash red rather then white to reduce chances of dazzling your vision.

Jesus

I use the A14 when i travel up to Stafford, but the first occasion i spotted them was when i just purchased my 1st S3 in Belfast and i had driven it all the way back, by the time i was on the A14 i had had enough of driving and my own company so i decided to push my new car a little harder, i remember clearly going past one doing at least 130mhp when i shat myself... and thought thankgod it;s not a speed camera, how wrong i was...

I stand corrected.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

According to truvelo's official site

[ QUOTE ]

Magenta flash filter for front photography.

[/ QUOTE ]

no probs ! Digital images are taken too , so if it flashes you will definatley get a ticket , no questions ! keep your eyes peeled folks. no such thing as a truvelo that has run out of film ! Thank god theyre pricey and not a lot of forces can afford em yet , these arent as bad as the specs cameras though!

There's 5 new ones in Southampton (on Millbrook road, 3 out of city and 2 on the way in). A totally pedestrian/cyclist free 3 lane 50mph carriageway each way. Never ever seen an accident on this road, except at roundabouts underneath it. Total revenue generator.
Do they work together? or are they a stand alone device. I assumed they were timing between camera's because they are positioned about a mile apart.
Sounds like they work independently, so you could lose your licence driving 6 miles.
Hurrah for road safety.

because as we all know it is speeding that causes accidents!
not, indecisive, incompetent driving.

If there was no speeding, there would still be just as many accidents, probably more. But then the government would actually have to address the real cause.

This is the reason why I got my Snooper S6R Neo....its like a second and third set of eyes looking out for me!

Well i can say i got done last year by hidden mobile camera doing 73mph down a country lane which was a 30 zone i did get let off with only a month ban and a £175 fine which i was very happy about as i thought i would have got more but paying out for a solicitor did help. So the following day i went out paid £750 for roadpilot which has save me a fair few times since i got it. So if you are going to speed like we all do it would be a good investment to get a detector

Points and fines for speeding offences I can handle, because to a certain degree, they are there for a reason. Late last year I got 3 points and a £60.00 fine for a PC30.( Parking on a zigzag on front of a pedestrian crossing ). Which although I agree is also there for a reason, it's bumped my premium up £80.00 to £840.00 this year, whereas my SP30 didn't change it at all. Over the next five years of declaring this offence, it will have cost me the best part of £450.00
Gutted.