Huge off on friday night!!My S3 is dead, lucky im not.

adtkm83

Reaction score
My Pride and joy is no more.

On the way to a friends party on Friday night on a very tight country lane covered in leaves and mud and a dear jumps right out in front of my immaculate S3. Should have hit it....

Instead I reacted I the natural way and tried to go round it ended up ploughing into a 6ft verge and flipping the car.

Just told the insurance company (Bell). Any advice on dealing with insurance companies so i get the best out come? luck i left it standard

Gutted. only had the car 2 weeks!!!

Wow!, at least your OK mate, it's only a lump of metal at the end of the day!
Insurance should be a straight forward claim, it's most probably going to be written off, and with no one else to blame, don't see a problem.

Really sorry to hear about your car mate. As long as you are alright.

Would I have seen it on the back of a lorry heading eastwards on the A14 at about 10.30am on Saturday?

I hope everything turns out for the best.

ICE

How fast were you going? Too fast for the conditions?

No sympathy, sorry that such a great car got caned and everybodies insurance will go up a percentage next year.

GhostyDog said:

No sympathy, sorry that such a great car got caned and everybodies insurance will go up a percentage next year.

I pray that you never have to avoid a dear in the road. Its not fun. They appear from nowhere.

Old dear's are near their end date, no point in swerving....

Sorry to hear mate. I was worried about someone ramming a trolley into my car th eother day, but this puts things back into perspective...

That's why people make mistakes, so they learn not to do it again.

It's only a bit of metal, deer and driver both survived intact lol

I used to drive like an idiot when i first passed my test untill i had a massive head on with a shogun in a clio. If you live you learn.

Trouble is if you had hit the deer then it would have done serious damage to the car anyway! Seen a few cars written off by deer/sheep!

If we all drove perfectly accidents like this still happen as like somebody said deer leap out from hedges from nowhere and I don't care who you are a lot of the time its luck that you don't hit them.

In saying that it will be obvious to an insurer if you had been travelling at high speed by the damage. Maybe the recovery people or police could provide details of where you lost control and where you ended up!

If the police were not involved it's unlikely the insurers will ask questions like that, should be a straightforward claim

unlucky fella like everyone said atleast your ok and no one was hurt.i totally sympathise with you i hit a fox @ 80 mph and destroyed the front end on my 2001 S3. hopefully the insurance will ggive a good pay out nice and prompt

good luck mate fingers crossed !!!

GhostyDog said:

You are an idiot. Unfortunatly we are not all perfect drivers such as yourself and cant anticipate the future so we do, from time to time, get involved in car accidents with objects running in front of the car and idiots hitting us. Same for your RandomJim he probably wasnt driving like an idiot, I hit a child some time back because I was in a 50 zone doing 45 approaching a set of lights, he ran out from behind a wall on the left as I was about to pass the lights (which were green) and just ran in front of the car, my fault? No its his for running out in front of my ****** car across 3 lanes of traffic, police said I did everything I could and actually probably saved his life by not just slamming on my brakes but trying to swerve and avoid him (which I nearly did but the wing mirror clipped him because he was still running towards the car) and still maintained control of the car.

Unfortunate adtkm83 hope everything goes smooth, everyone says it but it is lucky nobodies really injured, still doesnt take the pain away from losing your motor though! When the insurers give you a quote for the car try to push them for a little more, you never know!

You should at least be able to get back what you paid for it as you have only had it two weeks. Assuming that you have a receipt?
Don't bring it out right at the start though see what they offer you. You never know you may make money.

Gutted for you though, I'd be devastarted if I wrote mine off after two weeks.

lol I have a feeling that he got this car cheap? So the recipet could be shooting himself in the foot

GhostyDog said:

Yes he was going too fast to avoid a deer running out in front of him - what is a safe speed to avoid this happening again please?

GhostyDog said:

do you know the full facts NO

one day it will happen to you and everyone else will have no sympathy for you

were you there NO, sometimes get the full facts before you have no sympathy for people...

As others have said adtkm83, try not to worry about the metal - nice as I'm sure it was, the main thing is that you're here to tell the tale - glad you're OK.

It's a shame that your car's suffered damage (it's also a shame that not quite everyone is sympathetic to a comrade, but that's another story), but by the sound of it you've done well to come out of the accident unscathed. If the car's given up its life saving yours it was money well spent, and perhaps the best advert for driving something as well put-together as you were.

Hope you get the insurance sorted out with no fuss. Let us know how you get on...

Best regards,

Rob.

I have sympathy for you mate. I hit a deer a couple years ago in my Civic. Similair conditions. Cold wet December morning and the thing just ran out in front of me. Took the decision to slam on the brakes but keep going straight. Was in a forest so probably good I did or Id have ended up in the trees. Mangled the passenger side front, radiator, bonnet etc.

Absolutely nothing you can do about it. Its a shame some people say its your fault. Maybe one day itl happen to them and then they'l realise. Hopefully itl happen to them..... Smug ********!! "Im such a perfect driver a deer would never run out in front of me". I think not

I was only doing about 40-45 but had no time to slow the car down after avoiding the deer. (not an old dear)! So that’s it was a quite hard impact.

I am really thankful I am ok. Does any one know do insurance companies pay out trade or retail for cars?

To the person who said he has no sympathy can **** off as you have no clue how it happened.

My family and friends have been really good, my girlfriends dad pulled the car out of the ditch with his tractor and put it on a trailer for me the car is safe now till the insurance company tell me hat to do with it.

Yes ice that was me on the back of the trailer on Sunday morning I spotted you to.

They should pay retail value, sometimes they try and underpay but doing things like sending them autotrader ads etc will help push the payout up.

Gutted mate, main thing is that your ok!! You get idiots like that on every forum, don't worry, something will knock him off his high horse soon enough!!
Hope you get the insurance sorted!!

adtkm83 said:
Yes ice that was me on the back of the trailer on Sunday morning I spotted you to.

Looked pretty nasty mate. Were there any passengers with you?

Has this put you off buying another S3?

ICE

adtkm83 said:
Just told the insurance company (Bell). Any advice on dealing with insurance companies so i get the best out come? luck i left it standard
Be straight with them; my sister recently wrote off her Mini and she says that Bell were superb in handling the claim. She always got put straight through to the same person who was very helpful and they gave her a very good payout for the value of the car. I hope you get the same service mate.

Was just me in the car thank god. you should have seen the other side then ice. was a right mess.

It has not put me off getting another one. but will nead to check the inshurance first!

Your S3 looks realy nice i wanted a Grey one.

All of the roof was pretty much caved in. I had to get out of a window.

The roof was touching my head when i gat back in it later to move it.

You should have seen the A pillars they did there job.

I will send you some pics if i can get them of my phone.

I will check the insurance to see if i can get another one I will try S3 ownership just one more time. Lets hope it last longer than 13 days

The member with the smart *** comments is being a knob - take no notice if only we were all so perfect.

Ditto other comments at least you are well and the car can be replaced perhaps with a grey one now ?!?

I was unfortunate enough to hit a teenager on a stolen bike some years ago - he had just thumped some youth nicked the bike and made his get away across the dual carriageway I was driving along - he crossed 3 lanes including a bush/tree lined central reservationc without looking then ended up in front of me - i swerved struck the nearside kerb wrecking 2 alloys and 1 tyre and struck him lightly with the side mirror and wing flipping the stolen bike onto my windscreen smashing it and denting the bonnet - I was doing 35/40mph on a 40 stretch. The very nice thieving person landed on the side of the road I guess bruised and shaken but well enough to run off and leave me to pay for the damage via insurance - at least the other kid got his 'damaged' bike back.

Sometimes I guess we are just unlucky but as long as we live to tell the tale does it really matter all that much ?

Good luck with your claim am sure it will be fine.

How many years no claims do you have(or will you not have any?) after the claim is put through?

If you're younger than say 25 it'll be hideously expensive next year to insure your car, although for some reason you'll probably find that if you keep to the same insurer it'll be roughly the same price for the rest of this insurance year.

If you're going back to zero no claims get something under group ten insurance, and dare i say it, diesel lol

Whoever it was saying he was driving too fast for the conditions needs to get a grip as the others have said.

I was going along a road I know very well at or under the speed limit on a straight bit of road, fully grown deer runs straight out from a path at the side of the road sees me and stops dead in the middle of my side of the road. Then stupidly I swerved and slammed on the brakes I was on the other side of the road. At the very last moment the deer then ran again onto my (the wrong) side of the road and I still hit the ****** thing. This all happened in the space of what I'm guessing was less than 150meters at between 55-60mph.

I was very lucky, almost no damage to my car (crack in bumper and missing fog light grill) and the deer flew off 10m+ through the air and ended up back in the bushes.

I don't swerve anymore (however haven't come across something so big again yet), and have killed a fair few birds and other such wildlife, however in this case, going slower may have helped, but I doubt it. Not swerving would have been safer but chances are I still would have hit the deer. So come on Mr smart ****, what should we all do, drive everywhere at 20mph in case these things happen?