3dr A3 1.8T Sport + child = ???

DJC

Reaction score
Hi,
When I start looking for the above, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I will have to consider leg room in the back. I currently have a 2.0l GT Celica with a child seat in the back.
My wife constantly moans about the hassle of strapping him in with little room to manoeuvre and then the fact she has to slide her seat forward because he kicks the back of it.
Does anyone have this problem with an A3 or is the leg room OK ( for a three 1/2 yr old )?
What is the leg room like for adults?
I really want one of these cars and don't want to kick it into touch over something as trivial as my families comfort.
DJC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a 18T and a 13 month old child, both of which are great fun!
I had to fit the child seat into the back because my pre-facelift model car it is not possible to disable the airbag on the front passenger side, unlike the new models which have a key switch (i think) The little minx enjoys giving the back of my seat a good kickin' whilst watching the scenery go by. The Seat Back is very thick because the housing for the airbag is there. so in answer to your question.... No The legroom is poor, though the access to the rear when you flip the drivers seat foward is good

I have an A6 and my 2.5yr can just reach the back of my seat. Buy a Skoda Superb - then they won't be able to reach, otherwise you need to "educate" them.

We have my S3 and her Golf V5 (deeper boot and 5 doors) and we have no trouble with the rear leg room for our daughter. When I had an E36 M3 many moons ago, a 3 year old (ex-birds daughter) in the back used to kick the crap out of the seats so you're probably going to have to buy a van....sorry....MPV or as someone else said...education is the key! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

My wife and I decided our 3 door A3 wasn't practical for constantly reaching into the back to pick up a heavy (occupied) child seat, etc, so we got a Honda Civic as a 2nd car (new shape). It's more plasticy inside than the Audi, and seats are less comfortable, etc, but the space is amazing in the 5 door (I think it has a longer wheelbase than the 3dr). So I'd say the A3 isn't a good choice if you have a child you need to lift in and out.
The legroom isn't great in the A3 - try putting a 6ft person in the back behind a 6 footer in the front and they both suffer.
But at the age of 3.5, I imagine legs will soon get too long to kick, and they'll adopt a normal bent-leg sitting position that means less seat-back abuse, and they'll be climbing in/out themselves? I don't know what age they can be trusted to buckle themselves in though?

It sounds like you need to go along to a showroom and try getting you all in an A3 - see how you get on. They should be happy to let you try the car seat in there too.
Bear in mind that the bootspace on the A3 isn't very wide - we had to check measurements to make sure the buggy/"travel system" would fit, but ours will be very tight in the A3 boot.. I think width is about 1 metre, maybe slightly less.
I imagine the Celica may be wider and deeper.