hybird ihi turbo

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
hey guys

anyone got any experience in a ihi hybird turbo? Thinking about doing it to mine, would hopefully be pushing on 400bhp apparently! Its either this or a impreza wr1 hybird. Any info would be good?! Ie what power figures to expect etc?!

JBS do a whole bunch of IHI based kits, using either parts from Garrett or TD misubishi series turbos, all with IHI manifold fitment.

You can indeed achieve 400bhp + with these setups.

Possible extras required, like equal length manifold, larger inlet, throttle body, injectors etc, depending on power goals.

You have uprated internals, correct?

We all know the pitfalls, but with forethought, they can be mostly overcome.

The guy in that thread was running 30psi, some of it on the standard intercooler. Also he mentions that he can't afford the proper tuning software so runs a hit and miss system with tweaks from lemmiwinks.

Proper planning, hardware and software will see you running big power reliably. Just look at Bill Brockbanks little ibiza racer.

Having said that, I love it when the yanks break stuff. Shows us how far we can go :)

So has no one used a ihi hybird then? Is it worth doing this or am i just wasting my money? Am i better of getting a wr1?!! Power wise etc?!

edward_harris said:
So has no one used a ihi hybird then? Is it worth doing this or am i just wasting my money? Am i better of getting a wr1?!! Power wise etc?!

You will be better off buying a Subaru Impreza WR1 with the amount of money you are spending on your S3 Ed. :respekt:

well im thinking that, but to hybrid mine shouldnt be that much, just new componts for the turbo i already have then remapp, But with the wr1 its £16000 straight away then around £4000 to get that to 400bhp! Just wanted to know will hybrid-ing mine be alot better or am i still going to want more!?

edward_harris said:
well im thinking that, but to hybrid mine shouldnt be that much, just new componts for the turbo i already have then remapp, But with the wr1 its £16000 straight away then around £4000 to get that to 400bhp! Just wanted to know will hybrid-ing mine be alot better or am i still going to want more!?

You seem to get bored easy Ed, I don't think an IHI hybrid is the way forward for your needs, just pay the £16k or so for a proper WR1 and pay the extra £4k you say for 400BHP, then at least, you will have a car you can actually use 400bhp comfortably, without worrying about the transmission going pop!

We now use the Garrett GT2871R in our latest turbo kit. There are different versions of the GT2871R depending on the target power you are looking for. I would recomend Low comp forged pistons to allow you to run more timing. Although if you have already re built your engine with new rods, it would be an expensive element for you.
Regards,
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

JBS are now sponsors on AS.net too - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=126 Worth giving Mike a ring at JBS? He was very helpful when I was looking for a new clutch. I know their Skoda Octavia is running over 600bhp from memory, plus Bill Brockbank's Ibiza is well over 500bhp as previously mentioned.

JBS seen to have a good reputation for very high output 1.8T engines.

Has anyone used JBS? What are they like? i phoned them the other day, apparently they could get my car to 550bhp! They seem to think my manifold is the limiting factor. Its a jabba manifold. Arnt these good for 400bhp?

more power will be more lag generally. Will help if you get a increase in capacity but I think it would be mega bucks you'd be spending.

I hearda guy had a skoda estate done there to 450+hp, cost him like £15k though!!

Ed, why not get yours on the rollers, you seem unhappy with it, maybe its not making the power it should, maybe it has a problem. Make sure you know what you have beofre you go after something else maybe.....?

i will get on the rollers before i do anything else to it thats for sure! Ifi went for the jbs hybird twin scroll how much would i be looking at, power and £ wise? what esle would need doing to the car?!

Almost start againon the motor, i think you'd need 10k!!

jeez! lol i was looking to hybrid mine and maybe get around 400-450bhp, Wouldnt only the turbo and mapping need to be done? surly that wouldnt cost to much?!

ChriS3 said:
A 400bhp WR1 would still be faster :p

I've noticed from your posts Ed that you seem to be concentrating only on bhp - as Chris has said any evo or scooby putting out the same or even slightlyless bhp is gonna be quicker than your S3, and probably more reliable too at those figures.

Bit of a waste of your money if they're the car you really want

Yea i know but I'm just weighing up them now, if i could get mine near 400-450bhp for not alot of £ i would do that. other wise im going to sell the s3 lose loads of money on that, then buy a wr1 for around £16000 then spend another £4000 on it to get it near where i want it! so thats £20000 for the wr1 or maybe £1000-£2000 for the work on the s3?!

I know where your coming from, what's the rush tho lol - could you not run your S3 for a while and save up some cash for a pre-modded wr1?

yea but im also thinking deprecation on the s3! Just need some figures on the hybrid really! I know with the wr1 i could do all the work myself apart from mapping tho so it would be a bit cheeper that £4000!

It's possible tho that if you push your S3 any further that it might actuallybe worth less, due to the known issues with trying to get a 1.8t to 400bhp.

If its all done propely hopfully it should be ok?! If im looking over £1500 for that power i think it will be going!

Ed if i was you i would begin to try & lighten the car their so heavy as standard i would have thought its easy to lose 100kg - change front seats, remove spare wheel & tools, remove sound system, rear seats

Thats not what i want to do tho really! i want a car that has all the equipment that it has now just with some real power! I dont want to lose rear seats, sound system etc!

Personally thinking, at the end of the day, an S3 is only a 1.8, so squeezing anything like 400bhp+ is going to take it's toll somewhere Ed, and I'm sure your not one to hang around and drive like a Granny in your car bud. Buy yourself an Evo or Scooby of somesort, which comes with 300odd bhp out the box, so upgrading to 400bhp wouldn't stress it too much, and you can make use of the power also.... even with 400bhp, the S3 will be crap, as it has a rubbish gearbox with crap gearing!

Or if you like the comfort, toys and interior why not consider moving to the darkside and buying an E39 M5. Not much point trying to mod it but a world away from the interior of an evo or scooby

jojo said:
even with 400bhp, the S3 will be crap, as it has a rubbish gearbox with crap gearing!

Why not keep the current power you have, but get the gear box rebuilt so that it has better gearing?

Just a thought.

ICE

i think ill go with the wr1. ill probablly wait till after christmas tho! Then hybrid that to 400bhp. Will it really be that much quicker than mine tho?

It will be yeah, the way they deliver the power is brutal - with grip to match

hi ed i,ve spoke to you before on here, im under a different user name now beacuse i could log on last time with my old one jamos3. i have to agree with everybody who says change your car. i had the old shape s3 1.9 rebuild ihivf34 25bhp nos and i always wanted more power, a couple things i noticed about the s3 not being suited to big power the gear box takes a long time to change, the cars are very heavy and with more power you would will shorten the rev range/power band and hit the limiter sooner also you won,t hit sixty in second unless you increass the bore or up the rev limit both of which will cost you. and the four wheel drive system at best you can only give you 50/50 split, not as good a evo/suaru.

im sure if you was to go with something like an evo once you experience way it puts the power down and the 0-60 times the only mods you would consider would be basic things. which would make it easy to insure as well

hi ed i,ve spoke to you before on here, im under a different user name now beacuse i could log on last time with my old one jamos3. i have to agree with everybody who says change your car. i had the old shape s3 1.9 rebuild ihivf34 25bhp nos and i always wanted more power, a couple things i noticed about the s3 not being suited to big power the gear box takes a long time to change, the cars are very heavy and with more power you would will shorten the rev range/power band and hit the limiter sooner also you won,t hit sixty in second unless you increass the bore or up the rev limit both of which will cost you. and the four wheel drive system at best you can only give you 50/50 split, not as good a evo/suaru.

NO evo is cheap to insure compared to an s3 though.....!!

my BT s3 does 60 in seocnd at 7250 revs.

An indicated 60 or actual 60 tho?

yeah the evo won,t be cheap to insure but it would be easier with little or no mods to insure than an s3 with everything on which would still be faster than the s3. don,t get me wrong i love the s3,s and would have one over an evo.