Quickshift Taipan Carbon Fibre CAI

jgrand

Reaction score
Just bought an S3 a couple of weeks ago and have been thinking of adding a few things. It's already got a Viper DV and an AmD remap (not by me, and a HUGE thanks to AmD for filling me on work they did on it for a previous owner) and have seen a few recommendations for the Taipan CAI (mostly from RichA3Turbo). Is this the same thing as an induction kit and what benefits would it provide?

I have one on my car and I can thoroughly recommend it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is a closed air intake made of carbon fibre, which means it doesn't absorb heat (from around the engine). It didn't suck any more air in (compared to standard) before I was chipped and I haven't had time to test it since. Though I believe that it will certainly help now it is chipped.

The other nice feature is that it gives the car a nice growl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Also Rich is doing a great deal on these at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
phall said:
Also Rich is doing a great deal on these at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly am!

£155.80 +vat for cars requiring breather filters (2000> 1.8T, All S3/TT)
£136.80 +vat for all other cars

Delivery is £8.00

Rich

Ok, so can get one at a decent price. What about performance increases? Damage to MAF? Easy to fit or need expert installation?

Cheers,

MBM.

Uses a Stainless steel mesh filter, so no MAF issues, plus it looks SWEET /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(Too bad I get paid in US$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MingBlueMagic said:
Ok, so can get one at a decent price. What about performance increases? Damage to MAF? Easy to fit or need expert installation?

Cheers,

MBM.

[/ QUOTE ]

4% increase in airflow on my chipped 1.8T, Uses stainless gauze filter as Drill said so doesnt use oil, therefore wont contaminate the MAF. Takes about 15minutes to fit!

Rich

Would I be able to fit it myself (not actually myself, but a mate who knows his way around engines)?

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
MingBlueMagic said:

Cheers,

MBM.

[/ QUOTE ]

4% increase in airflow on my chipped 1.8T, Uses stainless gauze filter as Drill said so doesnt use oil, therefore wont contaminate the MAF. Takes about 15minutes to fit!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh hum!! On the S3 and later A3's it will take longer to fit due to the fact of feeding the inlet pipe into the inner arch....which I had to remove the inner arch for on Jaybees car, but still didn't take too long.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Will try and get some logging runs done on Jaybees car at some point. Rich do quickshift do any bigger versions? a bigger unit may be more suitable on cars with turbo's bigger than K03's

[ QUOTE ]
MingBlueMagic said:
Would I be able to fit it myself (not actually myself, but a mate who knows his way around engines)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! It's pretty easy...see, just a couple of clips and a few screws, oh and a bit of foam padding helped for support.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What alternatives to the Taipan system are there?

You could look at Jabbasport's system but it's around the 240 quid mark, so someway off the value of the quickshift from Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
uh hum!! On the S3 and later A3's it will take longer to fit due to the fact of feeding the inlet pipe into the inner arch....which I had to remove the inner arch for on Jaybees car, but still didn't take too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its only a problem on the S3 as the intercooler is in the way for the intake feed pipe. On the later A3's, you can still get it down the side of the battery to the bumper. Tried and tested!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Rich do quickshift do any bigger versions? a bigger unit may be more suitable on cars with turbo's bigger than K03's

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the limiting factor is space really. The current size fits well in the space. Logging on an S3 would be good to see... standard against modified on the same road on the same day and the same wind direction... Just to be accurate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One thing i could ask them is if they could use the 75mm on the MAF still, but increase the intake side to 80mm or something... Not sure it would have any affect tho to be honest.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few alternatives out there.

1) Pipercorss viper kit - Expensive for the quality. Uses oil so could knacker MAF
2) BMC CDA - A good quality product, but again, is oiled so can potentially knacker MAF
3) Jabbasport - Uses Blitz stainless filter so wont damage MAF, but even with 'heat shield' (term used very loosely), it will suck in hot engine bay air, therefore decreasing performance - VERY noticeable in the summer!)

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the standard airbox? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It's good enough for 350BHP, doesn't absorb heat, doesn't knacker MAFs, fits perfectly and so far has never been demonstrated to be inferior in any way to the aftermarked induction kits.

As for logging airflow...
I'll concede that most Induction kits will show an increase in airflow accross the MAF. But is this increase in airflow actually converted to an increase in power?
I've never seen it proven in a scientific way...

Is an induction kit better than a modified airbox?

I'd buy one myself and test it to prove a point...but my 'playing silly buggers with the S3' fund is now depleted (my 16v Golf is next!!)...so I guess we'll just have to wait to see for sure.

BTW, I'm not knocking a decent product, as I hope Rich knows...merely playing devils advocate. Like I do!

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
BTW, I'm not knocking a decent product, as I hope Rich knows...merely playing devils advocate. Like I do!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif