Taking the car to Jabba for a remap / service

mattyboy199

Reaction score
My S3 is almost 6 years & due a major service so i m intending to get the follwoing carried out.

1. 40K Service (no plugs or air filter) @ £230.00
2. Cam belt & water metal water pump @ £350.00
3. Gear box oil change ( VW Gear Oil Fully Synthetic) @ £45.00
4. Brake fluid change dot 5.1 @ £42.00
5. Satge 2 custom remap @ £475.00
6. Haldex oil change @ £75.00

I also asked for a discount as i had been offered one on a previous quote. They offered 10% on the remap & 5% all other items.

Just thought i would run it past you guys, what do you think ?

Service seems steep if all they are replacing is Oil and filter.
Cambelt seems about right
Brake fluid - cheap
Gearbox - Is this supposed to be changed?
Remap - about right price
Haldex - about right price.

Hope this helps

all seems about right, service maybe a bit too much

definitly worth getting the gearbox oil done. also get them to change the rear diff oil too (although it's not the same oil)

I can confirm that the work they do is spot on. They did a 4 Wheel alignment on my A3 and it goes alot better now. TBH there's not much more involved in a 40k service than a 20k IIRC.

Have a look on the site, and it'll tell you exactly what will be replaced. Judge for yourself if you think it's worth it, or if you could DIY it. Personally, I, and alot of others would DIY alot of that and just get the service stamp. Cash in your back pocket are always better than receipts. Having said that, if I had to spend that money, Jabba is about the only place I'd spend it.

All prices seem ok to me, except the 40k service, but you wouldn't leave the car for 40k without a service would ya??

no you wouldnt its on 44k anyway running AVS so whatever that would be ?

So rear diff isnt Haldex then ?

Im sure when i had my 40k service done it was £240 iirc including new plugs, new air filter, new pollen filter, oil and sump plug and inspection and then £60 for the haldex oil and filter, although when looking recently there servicing prices had been removed which may surgest there prices have gone up. Cant fault there work though, excellent service, had my cambelt, tensioners and water pump changed by them aswell, that came to £400 with the addition of a new aux belt and oe dump valve.

j4jon said:
Yeah Haldex is the rear diff.

No its not!!

The haldex service is as haldex fluid change on the clutch system that engages the rear diff.

There is then a rear diff that is a seperate unit with seperate oil, and yes its worth doing at 6 years old, pretty cheap and good peace of mind.

Its specific oil not the gear oil too, you need about a litre and a bit IIRC. It takes ages and ages to drain also! I agree on the prices that they look good apart from the 40k service......ask them for a breakdown of items as it seems some is duplicated elsewhere.
#
Why not have the plugs changed.....?

Jabba just got back to me, the service price is £171.00 less 5% not £230.00 simple mistake.

I replaced the coilpacks & plugs only 3/4 weeks ago so these arent required.

1. 40K Service (no plugs or air filter basically a 20k service) @ £162.45
2. Cam belt & water metal water pump @ £332.50
3. Gear box oil change ( VW Gear Oil Fully Synthetic) @ £42.75
4. Brake fluid change dot 5.1 @ £39.90
5. Satge 2 custom remap @ £427.50
6. Haldex oil change @ £71.25

A total of £1076.35

Seems reasonable considering audi would charge double that.

I agree that's pretty good for all that work! It will be a beast once done too, and you will have some good peace of mind with the belt and waterpump done.

One tip, get the service work on one invoice and the remap on another.
Next owner may not appreciate the service history quite as much if there is a big tune up remap sat there! :)

Might be worth phoning up and checking the price of the cam belt includes the auxilary belt to, it has to come of anyway and will probably need changing, and wont cost to much more anyway.

Yeah you can do it yourself in ten mins

well ifs that the case then i ll do that another time, its not a major compnent such as a cam belt.

Yes but as they have to remove it anyway - they may as well put a new one back on. I wouldn't expect to pay anything other than the additional price of the belt.

to be honest i think i ve covered most areas its unesscesary exspense. If the auxilary fails no damage will be caused. Its like replacing a tyre with plenty of tread for no reason.

Speaking of tyres i require 4 new ones which will total a £1500 inc. the above.

you'll probably find that it needs replacing anyway, mine did when jabba did my cambelt (done at 78k), they even showed me the old aux belt to show me how worn it was, and they only charge for the part at the end of the day.

simch said:
No its not!!

The haldex service is as haldex fluid change on the clutch system that engages the rear diff.

There is then a rear diff that is a seperate unit with seperate oil, and yes its worth doing at 6 years old, pretty cheap and good peace of mind.

Its specific oil not the gear oil too, you need about a litre and a bit IIRC. It takes ages and ages to drain also! I agree on the prices that they look good apart from the 40k service......ask them for a breakdown of items as it seems some is duplicated elsewhere.
#
Why not have the plugs changed.....?

well said smich, why do people who don't know the difference between a diff and haldex try and give advice on it...grrrr....