Clutch Issue

iambaz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Over the last year or so the biting point of the clutch on my audi s3 has been getting lower and lower to the point it is now pretty much 1mm from the floor and I am struggling to put it in gear. The strange part is that after I drive the car for half an hour, the clutch bite seems to get higher and higher and ultimately fine!

I've had a quick look through the posts on here and most problems seem to be with the clutch being high, and I don't seem to have any of the rev problems assciated with a slipping disc.

Anyone got any ideas? I've booked it in to be seen to this week but wouldn't mind hearing anyones opinions. Could it just be a case of the clutch being worn?

Possible slave cylinder issue as its getting warm its freeing off!?!

ouch!

Bad thing is I also need a new set of tyres all round, a new wishbone and some other bits and bobs! + It's due a service!

Think i'll be kissing goodbye to my winter holidays!!!

:puke2:

Thanks for the info!

Think i might be able to offer some advice here....

Looking around the tt forum there are lots of posts on this, and from what you describe this could well be a faulty clutch master cylinder on the way out. Have a look at this thread for starters

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=57020

User gt russell on the tt forum is "expert" at doing master cylinder replacement...you're talking 3 hours to DIY, but its NOT a clutch/gearbox out job to do. It could obviously be something other than the master cylinder, but the fact you say it gets better with time driving, therefore implying heat helps it seems to fit exactly with the cases on the tt forum.

Look at this text written by gt russell

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:13 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im an expert at changing the master cylinder by now as i have fitted 2 to my car and six others so try this one

hold the pedal with your hand and pump it up and down . if the pressure builds up it means that the pedal is ok and it could either be the master or slave cylinder ,
the best way to diagnose the master cylinder is to put a hairdrier in the footwell pointing to the top of the pedal and leave it for 5 to 10 mins to war the master cylinder up
this is best don when in the morning the car is cold and no pressure in the clutch,, if by heating it up cures the problem then its just a case of putting in a new master cylinder , its a diy fix if you are a bit handy with a spanner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its seems that you need to put your GFs hairdryer to the test!...looks a good way of helping diagnosis!

Seems like the cost of a new master cylinder is £55+VAT...so not too bad. If you don't want to DIY, a good garage should only charge 2-2.5 hours max labour.

HTH

Evotista,

Thanks VERY much for that mate! I'll give that a whirl in the morning. It does sound like it applys to my situation! I wont hold my breath but certainly hope that's the case!

Will let you know how I get on.

The car is booked in to go into Audi (Lancaster, Liverpool) tomorow, so will do this test befoe it goes in!

Thanks again!

Just make sure that Lancaster Audi don't pull the wool over your eyes.....i've a very low opinion of the stealers in general...but have yet to hear any positive customer feedback about Lancaster's. I'm convinced from what you say its the master cylinder...and it would not surprise me if an audi stealer would want to suggest it was actually the slave - which is far more money for them to make profit out of.

I presume that the car is outside of warranty, if it were me i would be going to Awesome GTI in Irlam- www.awesome-gti.com , even if it were worse case needing to have the clutch release spring/slave cylinder replacing which is a major job...then at least its only £45+VAT labour per hour...last time i checked with Lancaster in Manchester they were charging £80+VAT an hour...and this was some time back...i presume Liverpool Lancaster will be similar.

Best thing is try the hairdryer technique, and then if it does do the trick (as i suspect it will)....book it in to Awesome and for an extra weeks wait (since Awesome are very busy so you need to book ahead) you'll probably save £100 on dealer prices.

If the hairdryer technique doesn't work...then think very carefully about taking it to a dealer...it will be big cost and labour is a big percentage of the overall repair to do anything with the clutch (7/8 hours etc)....so going somewhere like Awesome again will save you a lot of money compared to stealers....and based of my own personal experience...Awesome's customer service leaves any dealer's in the dust.

Just my 2p

Completely taken on board mate. Ironic as my original reason for going to Audi was to get the job done well and properly, even if it cost a little more, however I didn't really expect to pay double that of a reputable garage.

If it is the master I will probably stick with Audi for conveniance and quickness but will definately be getting a price from awesome if it's the slave (And will be looking at them for future work).

Thanks again mate, fingers crossed! :icon_thumright:

I seem to have a similar problem in that clutch engages really early but does not get better when driving (ie heated up). Is due for a DOT fluid change though - think it could be that?

Can I just say a big thanks to Evotista on this one? I took the car to Audi who did indeed insist the problem would be the slave cylinder and wanted 'about' £1400 to fix it. I took the car out and booked it into a different garage who agreed about the master, changed it, new pedal and all is now working great - ended up costing me just short of £200.

If it hadn't been for the advice on here then i'd have probably been stupid enough to beleive Audi and pay the best part of £1500 + whatever they would charge me for then realising their mistake and fixing the master cylinder!!!!

Thanks alot anyway mate, you saved me a packet! :icon_thumright: