Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

AHHH! Rattle behind speedo area

HEy, can anyone give me any pointers to getting rid of my annoying rattle.

It happens at start up just a little, rough surfaces and at about 2000rpm in any gear.

It sounds as though it is right behind the speedo. Can you remove the speedo easily?? or does the whole dash have to come off....I have searched on the forum but all the links to guides have been removed.

I have listened to the engine wiith my friend reving it and i cannot hear anything abnormal here, definitly in the dash

Anyone had this rattle, not that loud, just annoying, was not there a few weeks ago thats for sure.

Any help appreciaterd.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Is it when you turn the wheel?

When i replaced my steering column i managed to make the plastic Airbag ring a little loose and it makes an odd rattling noise when turning. If anybody has done any work on the steering column/cowling might be worth a check.

On my car the piece of trim beneath the clocks that you can pull away makes the odd rattle - pushing it in sorts it.

From memory the speedo takes a little time to remove but isn't especially difficult
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

2nd Gear

Status
    for me it was the reset bottons touching the casing they poke through
    2004 AUDI A3 S-LINE DSG TDi
    MAURITIUS BLUE
    2005 BMW 120d M Sport 163+
    BLACK SAPPHIRE

3rd Gear

Status
    It usually is the plastic underneath the cluster that rattles as the clips slot into the cluster as said before.

To get the cluster out lower steering wheel, pull trim towards you then there are 2 philips screws that are on very tight.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys, will have a look this weekend.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
    It usually is the plastic underneath the cluster that rattles as the clips slot into the cluster as said before.

To get the cluster out lower steering wheel, pull trim towards you then there are 2 philips screws that are on very tight.
    Anyone know which trim it is we need to "pull" on to reveal the 2 philips screws?

Cheers,
    Glen
    Work commute:
    Honda CBR 1000RR
    169 kg & 170 bhp - eeek!

Backdraft Big Turbo Silver S3, Supersprint, Eibach lowered, QST rear tiebars, SPA boost gauge Sold
    Lotus Elise 111R also Sold

Wanted: Honda powered Lotus Elise S2

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glen_jai View Post
    Anyone know which trim it is we need to "pull" on to reveal the 2 philips screws?

Cheers,
    Glen
    the one thats at the bottom of your speedo / clocks. its long, about 6inch long. just about the collum.

Reverse Gear

Status

Rattle A3 sportback Dash area

I have exactly the same vibration noise and it occurs at around 2000RPM whether moving or just revving. I,ve been trying to pinpoint the noise using the stereo effect of my ears. It sounds like a dry speedo cable but could easily be just a damping issue. Unless I hear from anyone I,m going behind the dash for a look around.

1st Gear

Status
    sorry to hi jack the thread guys but mine is developing a rattle somewhere around the centre of the dash,well sounds like its around the centre vents/stereo area, any ideas i should i just set about pulling it apart?