Oil Light on!?$

Jampublic

Taking it easy..
Reaction score
So serviced the car yesterday plugs, filters & oil change! No problems, drove to Oxford Edition today and when I returned home the oil light came on! :(

So I am thinking the Sump plug may not be tight enough, but after checking the oil it seems to be fine!

If I have not reset the service light, will this bring on the Oil light if not reset? I am off for a couple of days to France, so will leave it parked up and double check the oil level when i return.

In the mean time any suggestions?

Thanks

James

The low oil light, or the oil service light?

Ignore oil service as you've done one, low oil light showing would be weird???

The light that show's is the Oil can dripping, at the same time you get a beep,beep! What other oil warning light would it show?

I can never remember if the warning is for oil level low, or for oil pressure low... what does the manual say?

Well making progress I hope, just drained some oil out incase it was too full!

Plugged in VAG and got thes faults:

2 Faults Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16395 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0011 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

Now I know the 18010 fault is normally thrown up when you have disconnected the battery. However 16395 seems to a be A Camshaft Pos. Actuator Circ. Bank 2 Malfunction, any idea's?

Going to drive the car to lunch and see if any warning lights come up, fingers crossed. Still think there are some new noises coming from the engine bay, so I am expecting the oil pump to be on its last legs! :(

Sounds like the oil pump is failing, if the filter was clogged it would just bypass it, too much oil can cause over pressure which would not cause the light to come on.
The red light is low pressure, maybe the strainer is clogged or the pump is about ready to die, either way you need to take the sump off!

Well after draining some oil out, it seems to got rid of the warning light! No beep and 'oil can dripping icon' is appearing! :ermm:

However on the start up check list I am getting some interesting logo's and with out my manual I am not sure what they are warning me of!

[ytv]Gk4dYCzyvMI[/ytv]

So any thoughts while I am unsure about driving my car home till I am sure! :sorry:

Isnt that the reset mode thing that just shows you every possible icon???

I thought draining the oil a bit would make it go away, too much oil would mean the pressure would be out of normal operating range and thus show the oil pressure warning light, although one would assume pressure would be too high, and not too low.

Yours does them all, looks like the mode it does when you reset the service through the DIS

Symbols.jpg

What so none of the first logo's are worth worrying about?

Reset the service interval with VAG-COM and see what difference that makes...

General Service Reminder Instructions:
[Select]
[17 - Instruments]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel 02
[Read]
The "Stored Value" is the current value for that channel.
Enter the "New" value of 0 (zero)
[Test]
[Save]

Note: It is normal for the display to show something like "--/--" instead of an actual distance/time to service after resetting until you have driven some distance.

Cheers Dave, will try that later!

I did try and do the reset, with the dash buttons doing the following: Hold down right dial button and turn ignition on, then Service interval should come up, then turn left dial button left to select interval.

But no luck! :crying:

I think you've got it stuck in that mode, as before it resets itself fully, it runs through all those....

Ah well just plugged in my VAG.COM, with no luck my version needs an activation code! :( boo

But your instructions where great Dave, thanks! :)

Well I reset my service light manually and after running the car up to Norfolk at the weekend, it is running just fine! Confusingly I managed to get from Norwich to Reading using just over half a tank of fuel, not normal at all! Mine you i also did it in 2 hours! ;) he he

Thanks for you help guys!