New key problem

AlistairC

Reaction score
Hi - bought myself an additional flip key from the bay for my A3.
It arrived and is a used 2-button audi part with the same p/n as my working key.
I had a blank cut and fitted and all works well.
I know I need a dealer to sort the immobiliser, but I can't get the car to recognise the new remote dibber.

New batteries OK.
With my 2 keys, I've managed to 'delete all keys' and then add back in the original using the programming function.

But no matter what I do, I can't get the car to 'hear' the new dibber.

Are there different frequencies available or is the only answer that the electronics in the dibber are shot?
The seller also has a used 2-button seat remote. Is it worth trying the seat remote or is this likely to be a no-go.

Bit gutted about this so any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

I think the vast majority of used remotes on eBAY are dodgy. You have to ask yourself, why would anyone sell a used key for their car? Ok I supose some could be from written off cars or the like but there are far to many for that. I expect most are simply known faulty or stolen.

I seem to read similar reports of keyfobs not working very often on various forums.

Might be best to cut your losses and go for the genuine article from the dealer. It's very expensive but at least you know it is going to work.

I think you have less chance of getting the Seat remote to work than the one you currently have.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I suspect that you are the latest in a long line of people constantly getting ripped off like this on a daily basis.

when you say you've deleted the old keys how exactly did you do that? did you use vag-com?

if so it's likely you've just matched the key to the immobilisor and not the remote to the alarm.

there's 2 seperate systems here, the immobilisor that gets a signal from the transdonder built in to the front part of the key and the remote that's built into the back part. if the car will start with the new key then try matching the remote.

you'll have to do a search but there's loads of threads on here that tell you how to do it.

failing that it's probably as Marms says, dodgy remote.

Well,
I've contacted the seller - a friendly breaker on another forum and they assure me it came from an identical MY A4 and it was working when it came in.

As I say, same P/N so I can see no reason why it shouldn't work.
But it doesn't.

There seem to be lots of 3 button key fobs on the bay. Same part number as mine but with an 'A' Suffix.

Has anyone any experience with coding in a 3 button remote to a car which has previously had a 2 button or vise versa? I'm certainly not spending out on a new one from VAG.

And again, Immobiliser is not a problem at the moment (I'll get that coded at a dealer when I have a working alarm remote). The issue is getting the remote locking to work.

Cheers